Looking for 2xAA light with XM-L2

Goldwrap

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks...I'm in the market for a 2xAA light and I'd like to get something with an XM-L2 LED. So far I've found the Olight ST25 Baton which looks nice, but I'd like to know if there's anything else to compete with it. Any recommendations?

Edit: whoops, thought this was the Recommend Me A Light forum...mods feel free to move this there :x

Last edited:

uofaengr

Enlightened
The Archer 2A neutral version is XP-G2. I happen to like the tint of mine over some XM-L2 lights (all NW) I have though those vary wildly between themselves.

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
XM-G2 R5 in the Nitecore EA21 - just remember to loosen the tail cap for long term storage

redtruck

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac has a few different models that meet your criteria. I have a XM-L2 D25A2, and like it quite a bit.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello folks...I'm in the market for a 2xAA light and I'd like to get something with an XM-L2 LED. So far I've found the Olight ST25 Baton which looks nice, but I'd like to know if there's anything else to compete with it. Any recommendations?

Edit: whoops, thought this was the Recommend Me A Light forum...mods feel free to move this there :x

ST25 has high initial lumens but goes out of regulation very quickly

eagletac d25a2 has the "old fashioned" head-tight/loose UI which i like a lot. has moonlight!

sunwayman V20A. magnetic control ring, from moonlight to 220 or so lumens

foursevens QP2A-X my favorite of the bunch. same UI as the eagletac but has moonlight. discontinued :(

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
foursevens QP2A-X my favorite of the bunch. same UI as the eagletac but has moonlight. discontinued :(

Yeah, I've moved on from 4sevens to Armytek, for 2xAA lights. The Armytek Prime A2 has a pretty good UI, and is way tougher than the old 4sevens lights. And, it's available in warm white! (Also cool white, that is slightly more neutral than most cool whites.) The only downside is lack of a decent pocket clip (it has a clip, but it's awful.) But it comes with a pouch for belt carrying. Though I would still prefer a good clip.

recDNA

Flashaholic
If money is no object HDS 2 X AA tube with rotary tail and XP-L head.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

My favorite as well, though I typically run it on a 16650 or 14500. I also really like the new Quark Clicks (QK2A-X) - custom mode choices and sequence, with mode memory.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
... the Olight ST25 Baton ... looks nice

The Olight S15 Baton with an added AA extender ends up being a very similar light, with a few differences:

++ new version of the S15 has a recessed button that's a lot less prone to accidental activation (I don't believe the ST25 has been so updated yet, but I could be wrong)
-- S15 has no tactical tail switch, but ...
+ it does have a magnetic tailcap instead, which can be used in single-cell config to affix the S15 to ferrous metals, such as the hood of your car (I find this to be a useful feature)
+ S15 can run on one cell in a pinch, and pretty much any AA-sized cell will work -- 14500*, CRAA*, L91, NiMH, etc. (*high-voltage cell can only be used in single-cell config -- i.e., without the extender)
~ S15 has a shallower reflector, and a slightly floodier beam
~ Different mode spacing:
ST25 = 550 / 300 / 100 / 10 / 1 lumens
S15 = ......... 280 / 70 / 7 / 0.5 lumens

redtruck

Newly Enlightened
ST25 has high initial lumens but goes out of regulation very quickly

eagletac d25a2 has the "old fashioned" head-tight/loose UI which i like a lot but lacks moonlight

sunwayman V20A. magnetic control ring, from moonlight to 220 or so lumens

The D25A2 does have moonlight.

phosphor

Enlightened
Thrunite 2a v2
...I just bought one. It's well-made and at 30 bucks the Archer is a "steal". My one complaint is that the moonlight mode is too low, and virtually a waisted mode. I find moonlight can be useful, but I have watch dials that are brighter than the Archer's .11 lumen moonlight.

...Oh, and med level jumps from about 70 lumens to high, which is 420 lumens. WTF?

Last edited:

tvperson

Newly Enlightened

The specs on the ST25 Baton sounds outstanding, but they are using NiMH. If you use alkaline AA, your max lumen is listed
at 300, and will probably be less. The Zebra light puts out almost as much if not more than Olight with a single AA. I measured mine at 3.125 in. compared to the Olight at 6 inches, and it is smaller in diameter. If you want a light that can run a AA and has plenty of settings including a red light, better than moonlight, look at the Nitecore ea11. It will also take an IMR 14500 and produce up to 900 lumens. It is about 3.25 inches in length, and very convenient to carry. It costs about $45, and even gives the voltage of the battery when installed. If you want a longer run time, you can even purchase a EC21, and the tube will interchange with the EA11, and you can run 18650, 123, and everything in between. You can even use an EC20 tube, but it is a little longer. I just screwed the Ec21 tube onto my EA11, and it is about 4.25 inches long with the 18650 battery compared to 6in for the olight. I can even recommend the 4sevens mini A2 at 5in. for just AA. I have seen the EC21 for $40, and EC20 for $35. It is true size matters, but less is more in this case.

tvperson

Newly Enlightened

Fenix is taking preorders for a 2xAA flashlight that will also take 2x 14500 producing 1000 lumens. I think with 2xAA alkaline or NiMH is only 300 lumens. The model is E25 UE. The expected release date is Oct. 5, 2015

Danielsan

Enlightened
I would take the Olight S15R as well with the extender. Gearbest offer the S15R for 22 dollar? I ordered one with the extender and i think its a nice solution if you want 2xaa because you can wear it in the 1xAA configuration as an EDC light as well and it has battery and charger. Its a steal in my mind and you have a nice button with low voltage indicator and magnet at the tailcap.

Latest posts