I like my new Olight S30, But......

tubed

Enlightened
How can they get most things so right and "drop the ball on the 5 yard line".
Don't get me wrong, I pre-research a ton before I buy and know just what I'll be getting and I really like this light.
I have only three complaints about this very fine light: (and these faults are shared by many other lights as well)
1. the switch is almost impossible to find in the dark unless you do the trick with putting the clip near it. I can run my thumb around that thing 5 times and not feel the smooth, totally level button. I have a Sunwayman with the same problem - what's with that? To prevent pocket actuation? Hmmmm.

2. To turn on in moonlight (very common) you hold the button down - sounds easy. Unfortunately, the time difference between a simple push on, moonlight (hold) and lock out (longer hold) is very narrow (less than a second difference to be exact). A dull-witted me, at 3 am is to dextrous and there has been many a curse word uttered in the dark (or way too bright) room. The Zebralight SC600 it replaced suffered from the same problem but would
3. (my universal complaint) why do they still make the majority of lights essentially invisible in the dark - i.e jet black or matt black. I get it for law enforcment (although not really). But for the rest of us non-ninja types it makes no sense. Do they not understand that these lights will be used in the dark?

Sorry to grumble like an old man (my wife's words) but the fact that there are like 20 compainies out there jumping all over each other to make a "better flashlight" and they still have not addressed these issues boggles my mind.

Last edited:

Outlander

Newly Enlightened
Totally agree with you especially on point number one. I have a very hard time finding the button in the dark. Compared to my zebralight sc62w, which your thump or finger just naturally falls into that recessed cavity, my finger brushes right over the Olight button.

I do love the magnet though.....I stick it on my shower curtain rod while I go to the bathroom, just so I can avoid turning on the lights.:D

Prepped

Enlightened
This is exactly why I prefer rear clicky switch activated lights. I loathe looking for the side switch. I know it only takes a second, but it drives me nuts.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait till you get used to and try an go back to tail click light.
I've lights in both formats, and felt the same way at first.
Now, is faster to me unless I'm carrying in an overhand grip.
Nice light IMO, I want the Ti model before it's gone ☺

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Sorry to grumble like an old man (my wife's words) but the fact that there are like 20 compainies out there jumping all over each other to make a "better flashlight" and they still have not addressed these issues boggles my mind.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately we have taught the manufacturers that Lumens sell and reporting more Lumens (usually overstated) sell more flashlights than anything else. Things are slowly changing

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can they get most things so right and "drop the ball on the 5 yard line".
Don't get me wrong, I pre-research a ton before I buy and know just what I'll be getting and I really like this light.
I have only three complaints about this very fine light: (and these faults are shared by many other lights as well)
1. the switch is almost impossible to find in the dark unless you do the trick with putting the clip near it. I can run my thumb around that thing 5 times and not feel the smooth, totally level button. I have a Sunwayman with the same problem - what's with that? To prevent pocket actuation? Hmmmm.

2. To turn on in moonlight (very common) you hold the button down - sounds easy. Unfortunately, the time difference between a simple push on, moonlight (hold) and lock out (longer hold) is very narrow (less than a second difference to be exact). A dull-witted me, at 3 am is to dextrous and there has been many a curse word uttered in the dark (or way too bright) room. The Zebralight SC600 it replaced suffered from the same problem but would
3. (my universal complaint) why do they still make the majority of lights essentially invisible in the dark - i.e jet black or matt black. I get it for law enforcment (although not really). But for the rest of us non-ninja types it makes no sense. Do they not understand that these lights will be used in the dark?

Sorry to grumble like an old man (my wife's words) but the fact that there are like 20 compainies out there jumping all over each other to make a "better flashlight" and they still have not addressed these issues boggles my mind.

1) align the clip to be opposite the button

2) the window to get moonlight is much wider on the S30 than it is on zebralights

3) get some 3M glow-in-the-dark tape. stick a strip of it around the body near the clip. glows all night

yes you're grumbling like an old man. your problems are too easy to fix. my biggest issue w/ the S30 is that there are too many threads in the tailcap LOL

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
I agree.

Fenix use to have a rubber cover on the switch which was a LOT easier to find in the dark. Now it seems like they are moving to the metal button model. Looks nicer but is not as easy to use in the dark!

tubed

Enlightened
1) align the clip to be opposite the button

2) the window to get moonlight is much wider on the S30 than it is on zebralights

3) get some 3M glow-in-the-dark tape. stick a strip of it around the body near the clip. glows all night

yes you're grumbling like an old man. your problems are too easy to fix. my biggest issue w/ the S30 is that there are too many threads in the tailcap LOL

Yes, I had a ZL before this and found that moonlight press very difficult to time.
Other suggestions appreciated. My grumblings are more about the poor engineering than my ablilty to ameliorate the problems. Sometimes I even enjoy the challenge.

Still waiting for someone other than Surefire to make me a bright yellow (body) light.