Nitecore MH25 Vs. Other Throwers

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Nitecore MH25, but I want something with more throw. How do I quantify how much throw the MH25 has and how do I compare it to any potential future purchases? For example, is it possible to get a single or dual 18650 light that throw twice as far? Or is that not realistically possible?

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
My limited understanding? Lumens for flood and Candela for throw.

The example, a Nitecore TM16 has 4000 lm and 122500 cd so it's a certified floody thrower but you could use it to mash your potatoes with also. The point, everything is a trade off.

In the case of the Nitecore MH25, you have 25k cd. For what you have, you have a compact, rechargeable thrower. From what you wrote, that seems to be what you want: a compact thrower. If you want more, the size of the unit goes up to handle more batteries and a deeper mirrored head.

The short version, look to "cd" for throw and lumen for flood and big numbers like the TM16, gives you both.

Nitecore also has the TM36 Lite which, at 310k cd, is a huge thrower.

Hopefully, those who have a better understanding of flood vs throw, will weigh in on the matter.

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the reply. So, if I wanted twice the throw of the Nitecore MH 25, which is 25, 000 cd, do I need a light with 50,000 cd, or doesn't it work like that?

Or, do ask it in a different way, does the Nitecore TM36 Lite, at 310k cd, throw more than 10 times as far as the MH 25? I assume that the answer is no, but this will be good to know.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TM36 Lite throws out to about 1100m (310k cd) and the EC4 throws to 300m (26k cd) while the MH25 (24k cd) throws to approximately 310m. Throw is a bit misleading as, my understanding, the play is; 0.25cd is being reflected back at you which ain't zip for you but it will help spot an intruder and it will help an intruder look at a map when 1100m from where you're standing.

Hopefully, the above gives you some ideas to crank through.

Currently I have an EC4S on order. Specification, the EC4S seems to be more floody than thrower. Either which way, it will give me something to play with that's "not addictive." :p

Last edited:

swan

Banned
25000 cd =316 m ansi

50000cd = 447 m

310000cd = 1113 m

You can calculate distance using this- square root of 25000 x 2 = distance ansi [316m].

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking at the Olight M3XS-UT Javelot. The specifications list max output 1200 lumens; Beam Distance 1000 meters; Peak Beam Intensity (candela units) 250,000. So, with 250,000 cd I would take the square root, which is 500 x 2 = 1000 meters, I assume. Does that literally mean that the Olight M3XS-UT Javelot will throw more than three times as far as the Nitecore MH25 then?

swan

Banned
Yes, if u fire up the mh25 next to a M3XS-UT it will seem like the batteries are flat on the mh25. I find the ansi measurement good for comparing one light to another but these distances are max throw at 0.25 of 1 lux.[ or the brightness of moonlight]
I always half the ansi distance for a more realistic figure at which it will illuminate the target properly not just a flicker of light.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, if u fire up the mh25 next to a M3XS-UT it will seem like the batteries are flat on the mh25. I find the ansi measurement good for comparing one light to another but these distances are max throw at 0.25 of 1 lux.[ or the brightness of moonlight]
I always half the ansi distance for a more realistic figure at which it will illuminate the target properly not just a flicker of light.

+1

kj75

Enlightened
Please mind also, if you need "visible" throw, you have to choose the right reflector.

Lights can have the same throw, but the light with the narrowest beam will (visible) reach more distance..

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the reply. So, if I wanted twice the throw of the Nitecore MH 25, which is 25, 000 cd, do I need a light with 50,000 cd, or doesn't it work like that?

Or, do ask it in a different way, does the Nitecore TM36 Lite, at 310k cd, throw more than 10 times as far as the MH 25? I assume that the answer is no, but this will be good to know.

Real life performance is huge. Actually finding some legitimate review of your specific light comparison would be the best. The intensity has a problem with superior quality lights, you have to see the actual beem shot, plus, although binaural super vision is a possibility, the caliber of the lights you are talking about outperform your eyes, if they cannot defocus, they will pretty much have a minimum range of 50 meters, though the spill can be intense enough on its own, up close you would need a different light.

But you already know all that.

So my primary tip is understanding exactly what and why you need to throw the light so far. Though of course it is fun, having a dedicated thrower that doesn't spread the beam fast enough to throw less far, like within 100m, (because the beam stays intense without spreading more than 1 foot wide) can be a bit of a waist, granted you aren't using it to see the next mountain over, or to see the ground from a helicopter, or to start an inconspicuous fire by pointing it at your frienamie's car, you may want a faster spreading beam or at the least, a light of which you can change the lenses.

In any case, efficiency of the reflector/lense is imperative and also the perfection of the angle for each LED, if there are more than one. As you can guess the deeper the led sits the less light is waisted into a spill, and the better precision the reflector must have to get the light to throw. If you put the light down and of course leave it off, stand 10-20 feet back, while looking at the reflector and you should see all-yellow, with perfection and no gloss.