Manker Quinlan T-01 Review

LeviGSmith

Newly Enlightened
OK, first off cards on the table: I don't know how I got on the "reviewer" list, but I was lucky enough to be contacted to receive a pre-production model and it was shipped 2 day express from Hong Kong. Got it last night.

My background is something along the lines of I like lights, have a decent number of odds and ends of them around, but I'd say my knowledge is more or less along the casual lines and most any of you know a LOT more than I do.

So, as far as the light itself. It arrived well packaged but more or less in a plain brown box with the Manker logo. No instructions or anything. Thankfully my contact had already sent me a jpg of the instructions.

My main thoughts are as follows:
-It's a pretty nice, fairly small light with quite a bit of power.

-Seems well built.

-Is not the most intuitive to control. I'm getting the hang of it, but it's going to take some practice, and it wasn't until I looked at the directions again this morning that I think I understand how to get into the whole second set of controls which look twice as complicated as the first, but also I guess the only way to go full turbo mode...
-Basically in the "normal" mode side of things, you have to hold the button to get it to turn on. Then single click to change brightness. And a double click to get it to go into the flashing/sos/whatever mode.
-Then it seems I have yet to try this 10 second hold to switch over to the "special" mode, which is similar to everything I just described except it looks like there's about 3 settings for each of those modes, plus a battery level indicator and direct current mode which does have a warning about how hot it's going to get.

-I'm waiting for a shipment from Battery Junction for some real batteries(Eneloop pro and a 14500). The best thing I had laying around was a relatively new Rayovac rechargeable from Walmart.

That said, it throws some serious light. I stopped for a couple minutes this morning on my way for a run with my Petzl Nao(supposedly 575 lumen) to compare to the supposed 500 lumen of this T-01. I'd say that's about right. The Petzl covered a wider area, but couldn't reach quite as far as the T-01.
And from what I'm reading once I get a 14500 in there, the light ouput should be more than 50% higher? Yowza.

Like I said, I'm a casual reviewer, so picture me trying to do the best I can with a good cell phone camera and kids screaming in the background(and wanting to steal the light).
So I'll attach what I can of some pictures that were sent to me by my contact that I didn't see on Manker's site, a few pictures trying to show the difference in brightness modes, and a video of the unboxing and again, trying to show the different modes. Sorry for the lack of quality.

Levi

Low: Dim enough to not be seen by my camera
2vvqkya.jpg

Medium:
29576sw.jpg

High:
wtzvvk.jpg

Turbo:
24dh6aw.jpg

Information:
2i1ii3s.jpg

e0mzqa.jpg

wa6h3s.jpg

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
In special mode, 3 levels for turbo? Seems a bit odd. 3 for the others is fine but turbo should be as high as it can go.

cloggy

Newly Enlightened
I really like Manker products, I already have a Timeback ( I can't praise this light enough it's really well built and the case is exceptional). I also have the BLF special released recently, again a really nice light.
As long as its not too pricy I'll be in for one despite the weird UI.

Last edited:

LeviGSmith

Newly Enlightened
I've asked my contact. If you've got an easy way for me to tell besides that, let me know! :)

LeviGSmith

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I like the light, but gotta say the control structure is NOT my favorite at all. It's ok once you learn it, but it doesn't seem like it should take this much "learning" to use a light.

After time enough to fully understand the flow chart and playing with the light I think I've boiled my thoughts down to this:
-Battery level should be in the main mode
-Then you could just leave the max turbo/hot mode as the only thing requiring special mode.

As it is, if you want to check the battery level, you need to:
-enable special mode which is a 10 second press. Thankfully it remembers that after a poweroff
-Once the light is on, double click into the secondary mode
-That drops you into strobe(which is not something I generally ever need)
-click through sos and beacon modes(again, not needed and annoying to eyes)
-then through max turbo mode
-once more and you can check the battery level.

I haven't gotten an answer back yet on what the 1/2/3 listed below all the items in special mode, or what the custom settings listed on that chart is. As far as I can tell it just cycles from battery check to low, medium, high, normal turbo and back again.

LeviGSmith

Newly Enlightened
Just got a reply from my contact on this one: "The led is 1A tint,the cct should be 6500K."