Have you ever scorched anyone's night vision accidentally?

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
One night not too long ago, the son, wife and myself were heading to creek to walk trails. My son has a Fenix PD35, and Olight M22 on him, the wife, has another Fenix PD35 and a Olight M21X. And myself using a Nitecore MH20, Olight S30RII, few small Fenix lights and a Olight Javelot M3XS-UT.

We enter trails from an avenue nearby where street lights are fairly bright so our night vision is off to a bad start. No problem, we've lights.
With that said the pair of Fenix PD35s light up, both running on medium output, and I fire up my MH20 on medium.
Great we can see, strolling along path farther away from street lights we go.

A little time goes by, I see something odd way down trail in pitch dark of night but only faintly, I crank up MH20, hmm can't make it out yet but it's going from side to side in an odd pattern... I suggest to family whose packing a couple medium throwers, light it up.
Well it's lit a bit better, though with walking motion of ourselves and the floating object I couldn't see squat yet..
It takes me a minute to pull out Javelot, point it at sky, turn it on, yup low, medium, there, high mode, I turn it off.

Level light with ground towards that odd vision ahead and click rear switch... Click!
Yup, you know it, hit him square between the eyes at a much closer distance then when first noticed.
A jogger, poor bugger was dodging side to side on trail to keep his vision as he approached us, well until he was given a slight tan on his nose.
Omg!!! I yell out, mother of Murphy I'm sorry dude, as we point out lights to ground the poor guy runs up to us then and is chuckling as much as breathing hard, smiles and says no problem guys.
So yeah it sucks sometimes having great lights and nailing others in bush by accident.

I've lit up a couple bush parties trying to be quiet while my family and I are walking past accidentally, usually just go oops, sorry guys.

Any retina scorching incidents you were a part of?
I can't be only one by far to come across others in dark and scorch their vision.
Let's here them stories gang?

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
While on vacation we went up Mauna Kea at night as they were doing star gazing. The guy running it was very nice but was getting very frustrated with people using flashlights as it kept ruining everyones night vision adaption. Some, due to obvious language barrier, kept doing it even after being told not too while others were fresh arrivals who put on there lights to find the telescopes in the darkness. It seemed at one point every 15 minutes, just when you got use to the dark and were really enjoying the stars someone put on a bright white light.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
While on vacation we went up Mauna Kea at night as they were doing star gazing. The guy running it was very nice but was getting very frustrated with people using flashlights as it kept ruining everyones night vision adaption. Some, due to obvious language barrier, kept doing it even after being told not too while others were fresh arrivals who put on there lights to find the telescopes in the darkness. It seemed at one point every 15 minutes, just when you got use to the dark and were really enjoying the stars someone put on a bright white light.
Thank you for replying with a great story.

Almost amazing, folks are packing lights?? ☺
Though I guess they were planning ahead of sorts.
Just not well.
Hope you were a good ambassador for us👍

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the lights they were packing seemed to be the flashlight feature from their cell phones (IIRC), which are plenty bright, but in a total darkness environment is totally disruptive to ones night vision. I think some had hand held lights too but I don't recall. I had a RaClicky with me that I set to an ultra low setting (sub lumen) and after arriving refrained from using it because that even looked bright up there. The guy running it kept requesting people to use a red lights if they had to, not a white light, but it didn't seem to do much good.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was visiting a friend and had one of my Vinh blasters on the counter. His 20ish yo daughter walked in, picked it up and before I could say anything she looked right into it and turned it on. She began swearing like a sailor. Sorry, girl. That's what happens when you play with other people's toys without asking. :)

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding learning lesson happened right in front of you.
You'd almost have to walk away to spare feelings of the hurt party, well almost.+1 MV!☺

1DaveN

Enlightened
I did it to myself with a PD35 - only once - it's a lesson that tends to stick with you. I don't know what I could have been thinking to shine it in my eyes (not much, obviously).

Kind of ironic, since I'm usually the one reminding flashlight novices not to point them at people's faces.

Goldwrap

Newly Enlightened
We were riding Pirates of the Carribean at Disney World which, if you haven't been, is a very dark and misty/foggy ride. The guy in the very front of the boat decided that he needed to film the ride with his phone and proceeded to turn on the flashlight feature to do it, blinding everyone behind with a wall of light. He didn't seem phased by it and continued to film for several more minutes (language barrier meant the only way to communicate was to use angrier and angrier tones).

I think people who carry their own dedicated flashlights are more aware of proper light etiquette, and phone flashlight apps have created these kinds of problems. Lets hope they don't make a gun app.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies guys.
We innocently do it to ourselves an others accidentally just as much.. Sometimes it's funny indeed.
Other times at events, it makes me scratch my head.

There are events where you expect them, like corn mazes.
Isn't it about that time of year for them?

Great reads guys, keep them coming👍🔦

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One morning I asked a policeman at a 7-11 what kind of flashlight he uses. He whips out his forearm length streamlight, shines it quickly on/off in my eyes and says "streamlight"...I'm getting an LED soon." I'm see-ing spots. So I enquired if it was rechargeable. Meanwhile another officer steps up and asks the officer what was going on.
Officer 1 says "showing him my streamlight" and again shines it quickly on/off in my eyes.
Officer 2 says "what that pos?" and pulls out his sure fire, gives me a quick on/off flash to the eyes.
By now I'm see-ing spots and have a bit of tunnel vision going.
Officer 1 says he's getting an LED soon. Officer 2 says "me too."
I thanked them and went about my way, see-ing spots in my right eye the rest of the day.

I just wonder if they knew they were blinding me in daylight or not.
But I bought a Sure Fire 6P incan that day.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding, comedic routine.

Do you guys mind stop flashing me every time you say your flashlight name?!?!??

I was hoping you were going to say you had a HID after that and showed them too 👍☺

scout24

Flashaholic
The absolute steepest learning curve I've found is a bunch of Boy Scouts out for overnight campouts. Everyone with a headlamp, everyone pointed straight abead, looking directly at anyone who is talking to them. Takes a while to learn to point them down, or look at someone's feet instead of blasting them in the face when they are talking to you. All in all, the kids have fun, and learn the value of lower modes when they're out of batteries, and learn about battery commonality. A very good preparedness teaching moment, driven home. Especially since they all heard it before. "Make sure you bring extra batteries. Make sure you and your tent mates gear uses the same cells in case someone runs out of extras..." They do get it after an outing or two. :thumbsup:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for pitching in Scout👍
Good to know your equipment you carry at a early age.

It made me chuckle as there is a thread here where a member mentioned his wife scooping his new Fenix light for night walks and he winds up seeing spots...☺👍 just like the kids do.

I howled knowing exactly that feeling when my wife first got a 1k light in her hand, she likes looking at the face of the person she talks to.. So yup, at first she lit my son an myself up at various times.

Usually accompanied by something like, did you see that up ahead?
No, I see nothing honey, honestly.☺
Out comes more light so I can see again.
So you can see how I can fall into them situations with a little help even after blinding others ugh. 😰

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup...my own.When I first got my Nitecore EA41,I put 4 freshly charged Eneloop AAs in,and flipped it on.

(I was in my apartment bathroom,with the light aimed at the mirror.)

I didn't realize I accidently set it to full Turbo mode.(960 lumens straight in my eyes..OW,THAT HURT.)

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I was hoping you were going to say you had a HID after that and showed them too ��☺

I was 100 miles from home in a 1 horse town. I didn't wanna end up in a beatdown over which flashlight is best by 2 of the towns finest.

But I was impressed that a 65+/- lumen incan was so freaking bright from 5' in daylight.
Aaaaaaand it has lead to my first legos...

(edit $30 not 10) $10g2 (that arrived) with new bulb n batteries gets the Malkoff/McGizmo clicky and a 6P head.

One has an M61NL, the other an M61WL.

If I see 'em again I'll show 'em the nifty hi/lo bezel of my MD2...
"Check this out officer, lo....(BAM) hi."

May result in a beat down, but hey, it may lead to more sales for Mr Malkoff.

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
One morning I asked a policeman at a 7-11 what kind of flashlight he uses. He whips out his forearm length streamlight, shines it quickly on/off in my eyes and says "streamlight"...I'm getting an LED soon." I'm see-ing spots. So I enquired if it was rechargeable. Meanwhile another officer steps up and asks the officer what was going on.
Officer 1 says "showing him my streamlight" and again shines it quickly on/off in my eyes.
Officer 2 says "what that pos?" and pulls out his sure fire, gives me a quick on/off flash to the eyes.
By now I'm see-ing spots and have a bit of tunnel vision going.
Officer 1 says he's getting an LED soon. Officer 2 says "me too."
I thanked them and went about my way, see-ing spots in my right eye the rest of the day.

I just wonder if they knew they were blinding me in daylight or not.
But I bought a Sure Fire 6P incan that day.

I was hoping you were going to say you had a HID after that and showed them too ☺

I was hoping for it too lol.

One particular blinding event I can recall was this past 4th of July when my wife and I were out on the lake with her family watching the fireworks. After they were over we were securing everything for the trip back across the lake to our regular marina when the wife's younger brother turned my TK41 on in turbo and shined it right at the white deck of the boat. After having been in the dark with no more light than the fireworks and the red/green/white lights of the boat, it was like being hit with a bat to the eyes. Everyone yelled at him and he turned it off but in the few split seconds it was on it ruined everyone's vision. He knew how to work the light and uses it frequently but he thought he needed to keep it set to turbo all the time so he could see across the lake.

For his birthday I gave him an Eagletac D25A2 with the mode memory turned off and the firefly mode group set, always comes on in the lowest mode lol

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup...my own.When I first got my Nitecore EA41,I put 4 freshly charged Eneloop AAs in,and flipped it on.

(I was in my apartment bathroom,with the light aimed at the mirror.)

I didn't realize I accidently set it to full Turbo mode.(960 lumens straight in my eyes..OW,THAT HURT.)
Love it☺

While on mirrors and glass..
Also good to open windows before blasting out them too, flashback can get you there as well by surprise late at night☺
Not saying I've ever done that a dozen times or more.
Jmtc on that.