Looking for triple-duty headlamp for caving/cave diving/excavation

Aotus

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, so, hello! I am a caver, cave diver, and also a primate paleontology doctoral student and researcher working mostly on extinct Caribbean primates (almost exclusively found in caves). So, as you can imagine, artificial lighting is a common and critical concern in my work. I've only worked sites underwater up until now, but I am undergoing vertical training to access some dry sites and hard-to-reach submerged sites to look for primate fossils in the Caribbean and Madagascar.

On my most recent research trip to the Dominican Republic I found that, as expected, A LOT of light helps A LOT when searching for small remains often stained and matching the color of the sediments they rest in. That was underwater, where light is particularly important and inefficient. Now, I am looking to finish my dry-cave kit with a powerful headlamp that can do triple-duty as a caving light, a flood for excavating dry sites, and a supplement to my diving lights during underwater search and excavation. This means a light with flood and spot settings, long life, and submersible to >40-50m

I consider myself knowledgable about cave diving equipment, but I could use some help finding a headlamp that can crossover from dry to submerged. I also posted in a caving forum, but hope that posting here will reach a broader range of people who are knowledgable about lights. Cost is a concern, but sometimes high-quality equipment manufacturers offer support for research by way of discounts, so it may still be worthwhile to look into some of pricier options if they fit the bill. Thanks very much for any tips.

Cheers,
Zach

FYI:
Caribbean paleoprimatology in flooded caves
Madagascar cave yields massive trove of primate remains

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where else did you post?
NSS forum, UkCaving*, or elsewhere?

(*I'm a member of both, but not more involved with either, despite my username here.)

Aotus

Newly Enlightened
Where else did you post?
NSS forum, UkCaving*, or elsewhere?

The NSS forum, but I'm a new member there too, so it's "awaiting moderation."

edit: it's up now.

Last edited:

Aotus

Newly Enlightened
So far I've found(or others have directed me to) these contenders:

Model: Phaethon Dual
Flood: Yes
Spot: Yes
Depth rating: 250m (!)
Max Burn on high: 25min
Max Burn on med: 6.5hrs
Max burn on low: 80hrs
notes: Piezo switch is very attractive, but hard(expensive) to acquire in US is a drawback, though communications with them has been good.

Model: Pulsar Magnetic
Flood: Yes
Depth rating: 100m
Max Burn on high: 1h48min
Max burn on low: 43hrs (+backup led time)
notes: "backup led" is an appealing safety measure, delrin battery box a plus. light itself appears a bit large and bulky. Appears easy enough to order online.

Model: Stenlight
Flood: no
Depth rating: 10m (though I'm told it can handle 35m+)
Max Burn on high: 2hrs
Max Burn on med: 7.5hrs
Max burn on low: 72hrs
notes: light lumen output claims very low, but says brightest portable LED available. Hard to gauge output. very small, lightweight, easily available in US is a plus.

Model: El Speleo Dive 1500
Flood: no
Depth rating: 100m
Max Burn on high: 2hrs
Max Burn on med: --
Max burn on low: >100hrs
notes: Delrin battery box and piezo switch is attractive, though availability seems to be an issue.

Last edited:

Beaker

Newly Enlightened