ThruNite Catapult V5 cool vs neutral white

Chewiekw

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to get a catapult v5 and wanted to know your opinion on if I should get cool white or neutral white?

Any thought on on which one is better or is it more preference?
Thanks again for your info.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
pros and cons, in theory
cool is bluer and brighter
the light is a thrower, and cool would throw more
otoh, I would go neutral even though there is a slight drop in brightness. I avoid cool (blueish) LEDs and prioritize rich warm colors, for my Personal needs.
I have never tried either light though, hopefully someone with direct experience will help you decide.

to me, the fact that Neutral is even an option, pretty much confirms that Thrunite understands that for some of us, cool is not cool, LOL

friends dont let friends be unenlightened about tint.. no offense to the people who choose cool intentionally, rather than just because thats all there is available..

I represent the extreme tint snob.. Im into high CRI, your needs may be entirely different.
enjoy your Thrower!:)
share your impressions

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good answer by Jon.

Ultimately tint preference is a personal choice. You have to try out the various tints to know which ones you like.

That said, I continue to believe that a large part of the reason that cool white outsells neutral is simply because buyers do not know the difference. They understand the advantage of more lumens, but have never been told the disadvantage of poor tint and lower CRI.

I am experimenting with a simple analogy that folks do understand. "Do you like the blue headlights you see in your vehicle's rearview mirror? Well, that's the same blue your flashlight is producing."

I like this because no further explanation is required. There is no need to get into a long-winded discussion of CCT and CRI. Of course, the blue headlights in an automobile use HID, so the analogy is not perfect.

If you are explaining, you're losing!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am experimenting with a simple analogy that folks do understand. "Do you like the blue headlights you see in your vehicle's rearview mirror? Well, that's the same blue your flashlight is producing."

If you are explaining, you're losing!

Like!
Christina, Love!

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like!
Christina, Love!

Glad the analogy works for you.

And, yes, Christina Aguilera blows the top off the James Brown tune I linked in my signature. Punk rocker Patti Smith was there, and called it the best live performance she has ever seen. Christina makes it hurt when she sings, "It's a Man's World."

Also in the audience was Jamie Foxx, who is left speechless at the end of the video.

Since I will change my signature at a future date, I wanted to leave this message here. Otherwise, readers might not get the "Christina" reference in yours. Now we can return to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

Last edited:

Chewiekw

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the thanks for the info. I am too new to flashlights to know what CCT and CRI means, but I will probably go with natural since I like the way it looks.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the thanks for the info. I am too new to flashlights to know what CCT and CRI means, but I will probably go with natural since I like the way it looks.

Sounds good, definitely follow your personal preference.

here is some info on CCT and CRI
there are also some spectral photos of some of my flashlights in my signature
Im not an expert, just very vocal :).. atm Im fascinated by single aaa lights with warm tint and as broad a color spectrum as possible. Ive had a couple lights modified to high CRI Leds, but I dont have any experience with throwers like you are looking at.

I hope you enjoy your new light :)