• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Oveready Spares Cases (optics, orings, etc)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Keep your tiny parts together and ready to swap, with our new spares case:

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Moddoolar Triple Wasp Cooling Head and Glow System

Nice job with the video :twothumbs

Dan sent me a couple of the new optics so I've been able to play around with the new optics a little bit over the past week or two. I can easily say they each produce a distinctly different beam pattern and I appreciate having these options when configuring a flashlight. I think this selection of optics will make a bunch of us pretty happy!

From left to right - narrow clear, wide frost, and medium frost optics (click for larger image):

Swapping optics is a breeze and consists of removing the bezel and window, turning the head upside down to allow the optic to fall out, and then inserting the new one. Each optic has three "legs" that are inserted into corresponding sockets in the circuit board ensuring proper alignment.

The original "narrow clear" optic is naturally the best for maximum reach, followed by the "medium frost." Obviously, the "wide frost" produces the most even beam. The following beamshot photos show the results from each optic using the XP-L version of the V5 Wasp head, powered by a pair of 18650 batteries at its highest output mode.

i.php

20150912190409-5ecd25d7-sm.jpg

20150912190413-ce70380d-sm.jpg

Just for fun I grabbed a beamshot from my V4 P60 Triple (Neutral XP-G2 version) for comparison purposes:

20150912190413-65916644-sm.jpg

I also published a mini-review that has a few more photos and allows side-by-side comparisons of the beamshots. Check out the original V5 Wasp review to see the "narrow clear" equipped Wasp compared to several other flashlights.

When I reviewed the V5 Wasp with the original optic, I thought it produced a terrific beam. However, now that I've tried the others, I've come to appreciate the "medium frost" for most of my uses. It still has enough reach to almost match my older V4 P60 Triple but generates an absolutely huge center hotspot and much more spill. Of course, the "wide frost" takes the spill beam to an entirely different level for you flood junkies!

These optics will work with any of the Wasp heads, are very affordable, and pretty easy to obtain so there's a lot to like about them. I'm glad the Wasp heads were designed with this in mind!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Really cool options! Ever evolving options are great.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should also consider the "narrow frosted" optic. Almost the same size spot as the narrow clear but a smoother transition spot and flood and some more diffuse light pushed into the flood section of the beam.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

You should also consider the "narrow frosted" optic. Almost the same size spot as the narrow clear but a smoother transition spot and flood and some more diffuse light pushed into the flood section of the beam.

My goal with the frosted's is providing artifact free beams. People don't generally like compromises and with the XPL, the narrow frosted both reduces throw and still has artifacts. Ill take another look.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've done comparisons with a clear narrow, frosted narrow and medium narrow with the regular XPL. Haven't tried them all with the XPL HI. But my experience has been a preference to the frosted narrow. All versions of the Carclo optic are readily available and very cheap so it wouldn't break anybodies bank to purchase a few different ones and try them out. I've even considered messing with some of the elliptical to see what they do to the beam.

IsaacL

Enlightened

Frosted narrow aka 10511 are my favorite out of all Carclo's optics. Admittedly my experience is limited to the XP-G2 and NVSW219B but I'm with Sean on this one.

recDNA

Flashaholic

My goal with the frosted's is providing artifact free beams. People don't generally like compromises and with the XPL, the narrow frosted both reduces throw and still has artifacts. Ill take another look.
So what we need is white wall shots to show artifacts.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Nice job with the video :twothumbs

These optics will work with any of the Wasp heads, are very affordable, and pretty easy to obtain so there's a lot to like about them. I'm glad the Wasp heads were designed with this in mind!
Great review, as always. And yes, got it in one take!

So what we need is white wall shots to show artifacts.
Yes, both frosted options eliminate artifacts at close range and were selected for this reason. Although clearly there is demand for non wall characteristics as well. More options are not an issue, but will take time to assemble.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

I mention white wall to see what the artifacts are. Cloverleaf, rings, what?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

I mention white wall to see what the artifacts are. Cloverleaf, rings, what?
Ive struggled to capture the subtle shades with my cell phone, but spinning the narrow/clear under a foot from the wall, creates whats been described as a kaleidoscope effect. The hotspot has points and the corona has overlapping star shapes.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

The XPL WASP to me has a beautiful beam with the clear narrow, plenty of flood. But then again I've never been a wall hunter LOL.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

That's the great part about this. With a good selection, there's an option for every taste.
And in several cases, the same option supports multiple tastes!

Last edited:

waterout25

Newly Enlightened

Hey Dan
Will Oveready be selling the optics separately.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Moddoolar Triple Wasp Cooling Head and Glow System

Will Oveready be selling the optics separately.

Good question. These are standard Carclo that many shops carry. But we pay more in bulk (to ensure protective trays) than many shops charge individually (who seem to prefer pouring them into bags). So I'm certainly happy to, but it would be at a relative premium.

waterout25

Newly Enlightened

Good question. These are standard Carclo that many shops carry. But we pay more in bulk (to ensure protective trays) than many shops charge individually (who seem to prefer pouring them into bags). So I'm certainly happy to, but it would be at a relative premium.

Well I'm ready to buy now.

waterout25

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Dan for the optics.
Also Surge said my light is done and should be shipping soon.

recDNA

Flashaholic

Ive struggled to capture the subtle shades with my cell phone, but spinning the narrow/clear under a foot from the wall, creates whats been described as a kaleidoscope effect. The hotspot has points and the corona has overlapping star shapes.
Thanks! How about 6 feet? That would be more typical for such a lumen blaster? I'm sure a user will get around to it. You have enough to do! I don't want to give you more work!