cost of liveing in mexico?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im thinking of going there for a month or 2.is it cheap to live there.are there any crazy laws or anything i should be aware of? i may never go but im curius

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically even a modest income here can afford you a kings status in the South Americas. But not at a tourist destination. As far as the laws go I have no idea, but I sure wouldn't want to find out to late, or by accident.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just be nice to the police in Mexico... they carry a little more than a pistol with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
can you live on 10 bucks a day in us curency?i mean like eat have a place to stay and other stuff?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
can you live on 10 bucks a day in us curency?i mean like eat have a place to stay and other stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could, I'd question why you'd want to go to anyplace like that.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
just never been there before ..would be like a small vacation.good food lol.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could, I'd question why you'd want to go to anyplace like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

TIN,

I think going to Mexico is a great experience for somebody who is used to living in the United States. It shows you another part of the world.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie, there are places that you can "live" on $ 10.00 per day. The food, if you can call it that, and water, will be infested with various microbial organisms that your body has NO defense against. You will suffer from intestinal diseases that can, and do, kill people not conditioned to them.

Mexico has no laws requiring "phone calls" if you are arrested. You can rot in jail forever for no reason.

The officials are almost universally corrupt, and you cannot count on civil treatment, unless you buy your way out. I have had to bribe border officials on numerous occasions just to get a timely entry/exit from the country.

If you are an important person in Mexico, and of the "ruling class", none of these things will happen to you.

Stay home.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33,

Wheh. Don't listen to these anti-mexico posts! They're a bit over the top. Here's what you need to do get "The People's Guide to Mexico" by Carl Franz. Amazon has it here

If you are smart and do some planning and take some precautions, Mexico can be great experience at a very reasonable cost. You should budget $10 for BOTH food and lodging as a minimum. i.e. $20 a day can be done without much hardship. Look into San Miguel de Allende (sp?). It is very gringo friendly. For that matter, ALL of the Mexican people I met in Mexico were without exception friendly and civilized and helpful. It is easy to buy bottled water and avoid dysentery causing foods. I should mention that the people's guide is NOT a guide that tells you particulars about hotels and restaurants and so on, but it is a MUST read if you are going to Mexico, or are thinking of going. Plus, it's one of the funniest books I've ever read.

When I went, my wife and I stayed away from Mexico city because we were scared about what happens there: crime, abductions of tourists, etc. If I had it to do over again, we would fly in to Mexico city and go South from there.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you want to know about Mexico? Shoot away!!! Nice places to visit?, I would say Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Monterrey... But don't really know what you want.

Feel free to ask!

Alex

PS the only place I don't like very much is the capital, but that too has lots of pretty nice places to visit. El museo de aqueologia, there lots of archeological sites Tula Hidalgo, Teotihuacan, If you like silver you can go to La Valenciana, There even is an underground disco that is built inside a mine shaft about 300 ft underground.

Adventure? Got to the rapids of veracruz, Climbing? El sotano de las golondrinas? Scuba? Cozumel and isla mujeres

Again, just ask!

JohnK: Cmon it's not that bad!!! Trust me,I know.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Don't listen to js! He's one of the corrupt leaders!!
^^sarcasm. js (and JohnK) please don't be offended. (If you are drop me a line and I'll edit post, CPFers tend to be fairly light-hearted though)

Anyway I guess I'm just dropping by to be a smart @$$. I've only been to Mexico once, and that was tijuiana, and I was young, and so it scared me to death. (Not anything in particular, just being outside the US, I was young...)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow i aint sure if i wanna go now lol. but i never break laws in usa. long as there aint some odd law im sure im fine .but the water thing scares me.i just feel like going away for a bit with all the crap going on with my house and so many other stuff going on.need a small break

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie,

If you need a small break, don't go to another country! It's too much effort for a short stay.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Turt said:
If you do go Raggie.... do NOT drink the water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh and do NOT order a coke in a glass with ice. That was my mistake. I was sick for a couple of weeks.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
Bravo25 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Turt said:
If you do go Raggie.... do NOT drink the water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh and do NOT order a coke in a glass with ice. That was my mistake. I was sick for a couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow i thought it being frozen would kill bacteria

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Bravo25 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Turt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
wow i thought it being frozen would kill bacteria

[/ QUOTE ]

No freezing won't kill bacteria, it has to be heat.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie,

these are the sorts of things that the people's guide will tell you all about. Pretty soon you'll be saying "sin hielo, por favor" without missing a beat. Anyway, yes, no ice, no water from a faucet or well--bottled water only--and no uncooked vegetables, etc. If you go, buy or borrow that book I mentioned above.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool ill try library.only thing i know about mexico is from movies.when i was a kid lol i went to some spot in usa some where called south of the border to like 3 years ago i thought it was mexico that i have been to