Lost a new light. So annoyed!

D6859

Enlightened
I got a new Thrunite TN12 (2016) NW two weeks ago. It replaced the (2014) CW version as my EDC. I've been carrying TN12 now for 1.5 years always clipped into my pocket and it rarely has fallen of without me noticing it.

Last night I went to a local bar and when the bar was closing I met some random guys that were going to drive through city center. I thought I could go see my friends there and I went into their car. I jumped out in red lights when the driver had passed the street I was going to. I think that's when the TN12 fell out of my pocket. I noticed I had lost it about 10 minutes later. I walked the same way back to the place where the red lights were, but couldn't find it. Nor was it near the local bar where we started our ride.

I don't know any of the guys and I don't know how to reach the driver. My only hope is that someone finds the flashlight and after the battery has drained empty they try to replace it and notice the paper in it containing my contact information and return the flashlight. I'm afraid there are too many if's or it may take months... Meanwhile, I'm back to EDC'ing the old CW model. I already gave it to my girlfriend last night but I had to ask it back. So ashamed :( I've been drinking and EDCing many times before, but never lost a light. Maybe I should get some cheap light to carry when going to a bar. I am also annoyed that it was the new light I lost and that the driver should have stopped earlier so that I didn't have to jump out of the car so hasty.

I really liked the new model and the warm tint. I am now considering ordering a new one when I get my salary. If you have any suggestions for a better EDC in the price range of 30-50 €/$, please let me know.

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear that mate. Gutted for you. Nearly lost a new light myself so I know how you feel.

One piece of advice though. One of the things I do now is to have a piece of paper with either my home and work address around the cells so that if the light is opened at least your contact details are there.

It's a long shot if someone will see it but you never know.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Major bummer! Fingers crossed, it gets returned.

Pretty neat idea of having your contact info wrapped with the cells.
Maybe even offer a reward on it. I know it's too late for this light,
but perhaps for the future.
Good luck, I hope you find it.

Nick

D6859

Enlightened
Sorry to hear that mate. Gutted for you. Nearly lost a new light myself so I know how you feel.

One piece of advice though. One of the things I do now is to have a piece of paper with either my home and work address around the cells so that if the light is opened at least your contact details are there.

It's a long shot if someone will see it but you never know.

Yes, I have that piece of paper in it, but I haven't taped it around the battery. I'm afraid it will fall out unnoticed.

D6859

Enlightened
Maybe even offer a reward on it.

Good idea! I have to go through my lights. 18650's are getting more common due to vaping, but I hope the finder will not have use for the battery and thus not for the light, so I'll get mine back. I'm waiting for the local bar owner to reply my message so I might try and find the guys through Facebook. After all, the light has cost me over 70 euros (battery + shipping etc.) so I think it's worth trying.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least you weren't involved in a bar fight and think you lost your light during the scuffle. Then you'd worry about the police finding your light with the personal info inside.
Just trying to lighten things up. I hope you get your light back soon. [emoji57]

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get your hopes up, but don't give up either. There is a real chance it fell out in the automobile. If that happened, the driver might be nice enough to return it to the bar. Good luck.

Meanwhile, you have one advantage going for you. You have already field-tested the Thrunite TN12 (2016) NW. If you liked it, that's a good argument to buy another. On the other hand, if your light is returned, you may end up with two of them! You could always sell one or give it away, so that is not really a problem.

Last week when I went into the city for a night out, I took the Zebralight SC62w out of my pack, and replaced it with the BLF A6 Special Edition (3D). The A6 only cost $25 USD, and should I lose it, I have another one anyway. But even the A6 may be too expensive to risk on an evening in town. Perhaps I need a SiPiK SK68 or Convoy S2+ to take with me to the city.

If you are planning to buy a cheapie to go along with your replacement EDC, you might want to get the cheap one first. That way, you could let some time go by in hopes that your TN12 finds its way home. That would also allow you to earn some brownie points with your girlfriend by returning her TN12.

In my pants pocket, I carry a smaller, 1xAA flashlight, the L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219B. It has a clip, but I don't use it to clip to my jeans. The light goes in the bottom of my pocket. At $35 USD or so (with CPF discount), it has turned out to be a nice EDC for me. I carry the L11C in my pocket, and a 1000-lumen Li-ion flashlight in my pack.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Absolutely gutted to hear your story mate. I thought I have lost the TN12 (2014) a few weeks ago at work, but found it under my car seat. It must have dropped from my pocket, so I understand how you feel. All the best and good luck in getting it back. You never know.

D6859

Enlightened
At least you weren't involved in a bar fight and think you lost your light during the scuffle. Then you'd worry about the police finding your light with the personal info inside.
Just trying to lighten things up. I hope you get your light back soon. [emoji57]

Thanks :) I don't start bar fights and never been in one. Usually I've been able to speak my way out. Police wouldn't be my problem, but I've been wondering if I used my flashlight in self-defense, dropped it and the attacker found the contact information would they come after me...

KeepingItLight: Thank you for the recommendations! Convoy S2+ seems a really good choice. I just ordered one right away! I'll wait if they deliver it to me next week until I order TN12.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear what happens D6859.
We all can relate to a lost light.

Hopefully it winds it's way back you.
Good luck bud.

Flashy808

Enlightened
Real sorry to hear about what happened. I think we all have our fingers crossed that it makes it way back to you. Losing a light is one of the things I fear most about EDCing..

ven

Flashaholic
Gutted for you, if your anything like me:crazy: i would be well *beeped* off !!! specially when its a well used light that you become accustomed to .....

Which ever light you get( i do like my Fenix for build like the pd35) but no low low mode. However the acebeam ec32 is a nice option, probably similar build to the thrunite, tad less than the fenix (imo anyway). I would recommend a micro light like the quantum for keys, wont know its there, built in USB for ease of charging the 10180 cell................great back up for that just in case time!!!

ec32vn far right with 5000k de-dome xpg2

Next to the pd35 which i can highly recommend as long as you dont need a moon light mode

Hope you find it, and if you do you will have a back up...............:D I would be tempted for a different light unless your smitten with the tn12

D6859

Enlightened
Thank you all for the recommendations and nice words!

I have Olight i2 in my keyring. I used it when I was looking for the TN12. It's a great little light, but not a replacement for an EDC.

I got a reply from the local bar owner. He promised to help me when he returns from his summer house tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed too :)

jmwking

Newly Enlightened
In response to this thread, I'm now wrapping my batteries with my return mailing label. Probably won't work (good light are too much fun!), but can't hurt so long as I stay out of bar brawls...

-jk

London666

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear that. Could be worse. I met a guy who lost a Glock 26 down a 50' deep 6" wide crack in the desert while hiking. Dude left it for the archaeologists to find. I would have come back with 50' of rope and one of those super strong rare earth magnets from Harbor Freight tied to the end.

At any rate... look on the bright side. People have lost more expensive things! Sorry for your loss, tough. :shakehead

GunRaptor

Newly Enlightened
That's rough, but it comes with the territory of owning nice things, I'd say. That's why I like having cheaper things as backups when going into situations like bar hopping. I'm liking the Coast HP1 over the Sk68 these days. Throw a 14500 into it, and it performs like a $30 light or better. I'm liking my Sk68s less these days...even for cheapies, they just don't seem to [ahem] hold a torch to other options.

But yeah, condolences, man.

Side question: Why did you get into a car with someone you didn't know? That's how real life horror movies start. Do they not have Uber/Lyft where you're at?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ that or a coast hp1.
$10 and you may actually like it enough to buy another if you lose it.

I'm up to about 6 hours on a double a and it still puts out room lighting brightness.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that. Could be worse. I met a guy who lost a Glock 26 down a 50' deep 6" wide crack in the desert while hiking. Dude left it for the archaeologists to find. I would have come back with 50' of rope and one of those super strong rare earth magnets from Harbor Freight tied to the end.
Lol, I watched a guy in the sandbox do that. Amazingly, he pulled out a large safety pin and some cord and fished it out through the triggerguard like a fish hook. People were ragging him and telling him to give it up. Then, out came the piece. Heh.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ that or a coast hp1.
$10 and you may actually like it enough to buy another if you lose it.

I'm up to about 6 hours on a double a and it still puts out room lighting brightness.
Is that a stockman hiding underneath, or a finger style?
A stockman I miss, stolen. I use a finger knife daily though.
Beat and worn.

Losing stuff down crevices, I think there is a still missing tourist from glacier field cracks in Lake Louise area. Could probably fish them up now too, been several years now.