Holy Cr*p, thank you CPF for your help in picking my first real LED flashlight!

FLY1NGSQU1RR3L

Newly Enlightened
Been using my Nitecore TM16 for a couple weeks now and it has been amazing.

From the charger to the single-button-on functionality to full power (side button!), it provides practical access to a ridiculously bright flashlight. The usage/charging cycle has been good.

It was everything I wanted. It has an intense spot to light up long distances in the wooded area I'm walking at night and a really great spill so that I don't have to pan the light down to see where I'm going.

Next purchases being helped by CPF:
1. More batteries. Reading the forums now for the best ones, but the Nitecore 3400mAh ones don't seem too bad. Took about 4-5 hours for a full charge out of the package and am learning at what % I should be putting them back in the charger.
2. The best multi AA or single 18650-powered EDC pocket light I can find.
3. Something that provides a ridiculously good area flood that I can hands-free strap to my belt or my tactical gear to help guide the way for people following me, no matter where I'm pointing my handheld light (or provides some light if I have to switch hands/what I'm carrying). I've seen a few "lantern" style ones that put out >500 lumens and some bar-style ones used to hang on hoods while working on an engine that might work.

Edit: My wife loves her new Foursevens Maelstrom MMU-X3R. Perfect utility choice for her as well.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TM16 and yes, it's a sweet S&R light.

Based on your above, my recommendation is the newly released Nitecore EC4S which will get you and your crew where you're heading. I received this light yesterday and tried it last night. Very nice for what you described in number three but it is a two 18650 cell light.

If you're needing a "tactical" light, check out the Nitecore SRT7. It's a single cell, 18650 light.

The single cell 18650 headlight of choice, which I have, is the Nitecore HC90. It's the kind of light that on a dark trail, you appreciate when you turn the light off. If you're wanting more of a thrower, check out the Nitecore HC30. I'm more of a floody kind of guy for a headlamp and the HC30 is a new light that I don't have.

FWIW, I'm neither LE nor Fire.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are hooked, too late welcome☺

Might as well hook up with a Nitecore MH20 and a pair of cells to go with it.

Yup, full enable!

Glad you like your light, it's a gateway unless you run.🏃
Like I said, too late ☺

Edit, me an my grammar. ☺

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
3. Something that provides a ridiculously good area flood that I can hands-free strap to my belt or my tactical gear to help guide the way for people following me, no matter where I'm pointing my handheld light (or provides some light if I have to switch hands/what I'm carrying). I've seen a few "lantern" style ones that put out >500 lumens and some bar-style ones used to hang on hoods while working on an engine that might work.
Are you looking for something to flood ahead of you so those following can see the flood around you, to shine down so you are walking in a circle of light, or to flood behind you to light their way without blinding them? For the first and last options, I would say a Streamlight Sidewinder would work well, since it is an angle light and is designed to be fastened to a belt, pocket, or MOLLE harness. For the second option I could see something like an EA11/EC11 fastened to you belt to your side or behind you shining down. It would not show as far as the Sidewinder, but would definitely not shine in your followers' eyes.

Glad you like your TM16. I like mine too. Did you get a holster for it yet. HKEqupiment is selling one on Ebay for $17 USD that works very well.

wjv

Enlightened
Orbtronic makes great 18650 batteries including 3400mAh cells. And you don't have to pay the Fenix/Olight/Nitecore branding premium. . .

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, both Simon and Orbtronic make batteries that one can mix.........batteries I just happen to be an owner of.

I have many of the "*****Fire" brand of batteries and they're all in older flashlights. After five - eight years, they're beginning to not hold a charge. Boo-hoo-hoo!. And the newer lights, as added to the collection, are being added with Orbtronic and Simon batteries.

Yes, if you will, at ~$35USD a pair, to my wife and wallet, they're expensive but if one buys a couple of batteries every once in a while, they're affordable.

I love the TM16 flashlight, I love Orbtronic batteries.......and I don't get out much. :p

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Samsung 3500mah up to 10amp 18650 only seen them for sale on Mountain Electronics.com have a couple on the way. Make no mistake these Samsung cells should more than cover your high output needs for years.

2.Recommended it before will recommend it again, either NW or CW Thrunite TN4A are the best multi AA lights Ive got and Ive got most of them. Want more throw? Sunwayman D40A throws out something along the lines of 37k. The new ET GX30 has an amazing 500 yards range off 3xAA and a built in diffuser.

3. Angle light. Here is where Streamlight shines with many models and are easily attached to you