How does one make an orange peel reflector? Inquiring minds want to know.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There has been an interesting discussion about the differences between plastic and metal reflectors in one of the TM16 threads. In thinking about that, I asked myself, how is an orange-peel reflector made. Is it milled? Shot peened? Hand carved die and vacuum molded, which would make all orange peel reflectors plastic? Can someone take a shot at enlightening me?

ZGerman

Newly Enlightened
Hello Timothy,

excuse my english, i try to explain the best i can.

The reflecting surface is made with a technique called PVD (Physical Vapor Desposition).
The bare reflector spins inside a machine that evaporates aluminium by electricity, the aluminium vapor then settles as a thin film on the surface of the reflector (or any material you put into that machine), making it shiny.

Now if you extend this process and use a little more aluminium for the vapor, you get the same effect as if you used too much paint on a wall, you get an 'Orange Peel' effect on the surface of the material. Also the time used to dry the surface after the vapor application may result in surface effects like OP. Using an already textured molded plastic reflector might be cheaper/easier to coat than using excessive aluminium/changing the dry time on a cnc drilled reflector.

For visualization, put "PVD" or "Physical Vapor Desposition" into Youtube. Edit: Found a good visual here

I skimmed through the TM16 thread you talked about,
IMHO:
small light -> aluminium reflector all the way, you want to transfer/disperse the heat away as fast as possible when you have limited bodymass
big light -> plastic reflector, because of weight and cost to produce on a mass scale. Heat is easier to transfer in big lights due to the possibilty of adding heatsinks below the LED, therefore lowering the overall weight of the product. I do not think that aluminium reflectors in big lights are usefull, unless the heatsinking under the LED-Die sucks...

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

teacher

Newly Enlightened
There has been an interesting discussion about the differences between plastic and metal reflectors in one of the TM16 threads. In thinking about that, I asked myself, how is an orange-peel reflector made. Is it milled? Shot peened? Hand carved die and vacuum molded, which would make all orange peel reflectors plastic? Can someone take a shot at enlightening me?
Good question! I have often wondered this myself but never asked... thanks for asking. :thumbsup:

PS / Love your sig line.
-------------------------------
Thanks ZGerman for an answer!! :bow:

Last edited:

Flashy808

Enlightened
It's been there since he tried to land the first one on the barge. I also use it in my email. You are the first person to comment on it. I liked it too.

Ahaha I also love it even before I joined CPF. I showed it to my friend and had a great laugh :). (that reminds me I need to find myself one ;)) Also too bad the CPF app doesn't show the siglines.

I think ZGerman sound about right. I came across this thread earlier on but didn't post on it and came back today to my astonishment that it was a nicely closed case. Thanks for the answer ZGerman and Timothy for Posting. :thumbsup:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to turn a smooth reflector into an orange peel one (in a maglite for example) it can be done with clear spray finish - do a search here for "krylon sputter" or "krylon orange peel"

it used to be done a lot in the early days of mag mods, to smooth out beams

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ interesting.

I've done some 'splatter' technique to car parts where you hold the spray can away from said item about 2-3' and spray 'in the air' and let the paint sorta mist onto the object.

Works great on flat or convex items. But I've never tried it on a convex item like a light reflector.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ interesting.

I've done some 'splatter' technique to car parts where you hold the spray can away from said item about 2-3' and spray 'in the air' and let the paint sorta mist onto the object.

Works great on flat or convex items. But I've never tried it on a convex item like a light reflector.
Yes, you're not applying a coat; it's more like "intentionally spray painting improperly," the term is "overspray" IIRC.

In painting, there is also a term called "orange peel" for an uneven coat of paint. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I suppose in both cases it's called orange peel because calling it lime peel wouldn't have sounded as...well whatever it sounds like. lol

Flashlight: orange peel = good
Auto paint job = bad

But when restoring some formerly rubberized coated trim parts I've been using a sunbaked enamel coating with an 'orange peel' final coat to get a similar texture as the original with a much better weather resistance.

Last edited:

MBentz

Enlightened
This thread is making me feel nostalgic. I remember back a few years ago agonizing over choosing between a SMO, LOP, MOP or HOP reflector. Fun times. :)

Wolfy1776

Newly Enlightened
You're over analyzing the situation it's really very easy.

1) Get an orange
2) Start peeling
:) :) :)