In the market for..... Compact FLOOD light.

jtice

Flashaholic
Its that time again, I have an itch for a new light.
This time I am looking for a compact light that has a flood beam.
Something that can be used around the house, camping, working on a vehicle. That has a nice even, very wide beam.
Would like to keep it at or under $100, and use 18650 cells.

So far I was looking at...
Nitecore P36
PROS: I am a huge fan of having MANY output levels. Love the interface on this light with the rotary knob.
Seems to be a bit better priced, especially the package deals that come with 18540 cells.
CONS: Doesnt seem to have as much of a flood beam as the SR-Mini.
Good bit larger than I would like.

Nitecore EC4S
PROS: Decent amount of output levels, decent interface.
Love the look and design of this light, good bit smaller than the P36, though not as small as the SR-Mini
CONS: Not sure it has the flood beam I am after, looks like a large hotspot, but the spill seems a bit narrow.
Seems to have high parasitic drain while not in use.

Oilight SR-Mini
PROS: Love the small simple size of this light. Very compact, would be easy to keep with me more often.
Seems to have a very nice flood beam that I am after.
CONS: Really wish it had more output levels, especially lower ones. Seems to be a large jump in its levels.
Interface isnt bad, button seems nice, but not as nice as the Nitecore.
Uses 3x18650 instead of just 2. Kind of an odd number of cells, and would take longer to charge them.

I am leaning toward the SR-Mini
Anyone know any photos or vids comparing these lights directly to each other?
Any input on these lights, or other suggestions would be great,
Thanks

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came extremely close to buying the SR Mini and the P36, but I instead bought the Eagletac SX25L3, because it has better size/power ratio than the other two.

I just love the power and tint and beam profile that it provides, in its size category.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, the EC4S has a sweet flood but I'm more partial to the direct nature (beam) of the EC4.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an FYI, Gear Best has the original SR Mini on sale right now. $57.00 USD with free shipping. Insurance on the order should be around five dollars as well. At that price I would consider one, even though I'm a Nitecore fanboy of sorts. But I just got my TM16 and EA11, and between them and my EA41 I have all my bases covered.

OBTW, Gear Best has good prices on 18650s too.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would imagine the SR Mini would be the best flood beam with its diffuser lens and short reflector wells. It also runs off 3x18650, is 2800 lumens and build quality is very high.

jtice

Flashaholic
Just an FYI, Gear Best has the original SR Mini on sale right now. $57.00 USD with free shipping. Insurance on the order should be around five dollars as well. At that price I would consider one, even though I'm a Nitecore fanboy of sorts. But I just got my TM16 and EA11, and between them and my EA41 I have all my bases covered.

OBTW, Gear Best has good prices on 18650s too.
Banggood has a coupon for 12% flashlghts right now, C65C73
Gets the SR-Mini (new version) down to about $66
Very tempted to add the EA41 to the order, its been on my list also haha.

Any particular "knockoff" 18650s that are well trusted?
Was thinking about getting these... NCR 18650s

EDIT: Couldnt help myself.. Ordered the SR-Mini, EA41, and 4 of the NCR 18650 cells. $155 shipped.

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
I have a H600FW, its my goto headlamp, I love it.
Decent amount of light, but I was looking for even more output and runtime.

The H602 is PURE flood, but doesnt really have ANY throw, so not great outdoors, unless for close up work.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay. It's reads as if you're a three light kinda guy. A headlamp and a couple of handheld lights. My recommendation, the headlamp would be a Nitecore HC90 and for handheld, the TM16 and a EC4 or for more local flood, an EC4S.

I read in your above that you've lit the candle. Good luck.

Last edited: