Lux to Lumens

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a way to convert lux into lumens? Using an Android app to measure lux, can you convert it to lumens or is there an app for android to use my Galaxy S4's light sensor to measure lumens?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming you have a good way to collect and homogenize the light (ie, integrated sphere, DIY lightbox, etc) then just use a constant/multiplier derived from a known output calibration light. Keep in mind that every manufacturer, and every CPF reviewer, uses different lumen scales... you'll probably develop you own based on the lights you own.

There is only one reviewer here I've seen that claims true ANSI with laboratory tested calibration lights (ti-force), and I think he's right, but you'll need matching lights to calibrate.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming you have a good way to collect and homogenize the light (ie, integrated sphere, DIY lightbox, etc) then just use a constant/multiplier derived from a known output calibration light. Keep in mind that every manufacturer, and every CPF reviewer, uses different lumen scales... you'll probably develop you own based on the lights you own.

There is only one reviewer here I've seen that claims true ANSI with laboratory tested calibration lights (ti-force), and I think he's right, but you'll need matching lights to calibrate.
My question is if there is a calculation to derive lumens from lux. I understand using a light sphere or box to measure the lumens.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try googling lux to lumens conversion
I did but all I see is a complicated formula involving area and a convoluted explanation. I try to not ask questions readily answered by googling.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question is if there is a calculation to derive lumens from lux. I understand using a light sphere or box to measure the lumens.

Yes, as above, there are online calculators - I think they might be reasonably useable with uniform beams like from a mule, but I'm curious how lux can be formula-converted to lumens with anything that has focused hotspot?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference between lux and lumen is similar to the difference between pressure and force: Pressure=force/area, and in the same way lux=lumen/area. Therefore there is no standard conversion number between them. If you have 1lumen evenly spread across 1m2 you get 1lux over that area. 1lumen across 1dm2 will be 100 lux. To get 100 lux over 1m2 demands 100lm, and so on.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens is more like "all the photons," while lux is the concentration of them at a single point.

If you shined a light into a lux meter and panned the light side to side, you'd see different lux readings in the hotspot, spill, etc.

To get lumens, you must perform math and have a device called an "integrating sphere." The sphere must be "calibrated," but this doesn't really involve changing the sphere but coming up with the calibration math. It's kind of a bumpy road to get started.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're solving a circuit involving reactance (inductors, capacitors,) for example, it doesn't get simple. You gotta nerd-man up, get the pocket protector and graphing calculator, put tape on your glasses, cancel your dates, break up with your girlfriend, and face "imaginary numbers" head on.

Sound like I'm talking smack? Nope.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_number
An imaginary number is a complex number that can be written as a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit i,[note 1] which is defined by its property i2​ = −1.[1] The square of an imaginary number bi is −b2​. For example, 5i is an imaginary number, and its square is −25. Except for 0 (which is both real and imaginary[2]), imaginary numbers produce negative real numbers when squared.

An imaginary number bi can be added to a real number a to form a complex number of the form a + bi, where the real numbers a and b are called, respectively, the real part and the imaginary part of the complex number.[3][note 2] Imaginary numbers can therefore be thought of as complex numbers whose real part is zero. The name "imaginary number" was coined in the 17th century as a derogatory term, as such numbers were regarded by some as fictitious or useless. The term "imaginary number" now means simply a complex number with a real part equal to 0, that is, a number of the form bi.
You cannot solve a circuit involving reactance without this. To become the Flashlight Alpha Geek, you've got to wrap your head around math or else you're flying blind.

http://www.regentsprep.org/regents/math/algtrig/ato6/electricalresouce.htm
In order to analyze AC circuits, it became necessary to represent multi-dimensional quantities. In order to accomplish this task, scalar numbers were abandoned and complex numbers were used to express the two dimensions of frequency and phase shift at one time.

Only then do you get Mountain Dew and pizza at 4 am. :)

Last edited:

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference between lux and lumen is similar to the difference between pressure and force: Pressure=force/area, and in the same way lux=lumen/area. Therefore there is no standard conversion number between them. If you have 1lumen evenly spread across 1m2 you get 1lux over that area. 1lumen across 1dm2 will be 100 lux. To get 100 lux over 1m2 demands 100lm, and so on.

Lumens is more like "all the photons," while lux is the concentration of them at a single point.

If you shined a light into a lux meter and panned the light side to side, you'd see different lux readings in the hotspot, spill, etc.

To get lumens, you must perform math and have a device called an "integrating sphere." The sphere must be "calibrated," but this doesn't really involve changing the sphere but coming up with the calibration math. It's kind of a bumpy road to get started.

Sometimes physics makes life complicated. However, google is really your friend here. It doesn't get simpler - see for explanation why in the threads above.

If you're solving a circuit involving reactance (inductors, capacitors,) for example, it doesn't get simple. You gotta nerd-man up, get the pocket protector and graphing calculator, put tape on your glasses, cancel your dates, break up with your girlfriend, and face "imaginary numbers" head on.

Sound like I'm talking smack? Nope.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_number

You cannot solve a circuit involving reactance without this. To become the Flashlight Alpha Geek, you've got to wrap your head around math or else you're flying blind.

http://www.regentsprep.org/regents/math/algtrig/ato6/electricalresouce.htm

Only then do you get Mountain Dew and pizza at 4 am. :)
Thanks guys. I think the pain meds is warping my brain. I don't know why I couldn't comprehend that, even though I understood lux and lumens individually but not together in context. I got it now. The explanations connected the missing dots. Thanks again.

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
Lumen is the total amount of light while Lux is the intensity of light. For example, a thrower will show more Lux than a flooder but the flooder has more lumen than the thrower.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumen is the total amount of light while Lux is the intensity of light. For example, a thrower will show more Lux than a flooder but the flooder has more lumen than the thrower.

That's not quit accurate. I have a thrower with more lumens than a flooder. And a flooder with more lux than a thrower. You need to rethink your description :)

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
That's not quit accurate. I have a thrower with more lumens than a flooder. And a flooder with more lux than a thrower. You need to rethink your description :)

Seems I got something mixed here. What's CD?

Last edited: