FREE NICK DIAZ!!!

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/lift-nsac-ban-mma-fighter-nick-diaz

above is a link to an online petition for UFC fighter Nick Diaz. he was recently banned for 5 years for testing positive for marijuana metabolites for a fight in January against Anderson Silva. Nick was required to take 3 tests in the hours leading up to his fight. the first, was preformed by a WADA (world anti doping agency)accredited lab. passed that test. the second test was taken by a non- WADA accredited lab. failed that test miserably. then the third test was again taken by a WADA accredited lab. passed that test. again, all these tests were taken within about a 4 hour window. instead of the Nevada state athletic commission throwing out the result fro the non- accredited lab, they chose to ignore the passed tests fro the WADA labs. went against their own revised guidelines for suspension terms that they came out with just this year and went for a 5 year ban (again, for marijuana). this isn't about marijuana use, its about an abuse of power by the commission; to ignore facts, and impose any penalty they feel like.

his opponent, Anderson Silva, also failed his prefight drug test, and his post fight drug test. he tested positive for the steroids drostanolone and androstane. he received a 1 year ban. sign the online petition if you feel this is an unfair and unjust situation! thank you!

nbp

Flashaholic
One less meat-head bashing in skulls, teaching kids to react with blind rage and violence.. seems like a win/win to me.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i take it your not a fan of MMA. based on your comment perhaps you watched some of the earlier UFC stuff from the 90's when it was basically no holds barred bare knuckle fighting. its evolved since then. its went from back room brawlers to top level athletes competing. but thanks for the bump!

nbp

Flashaholic
Haha, you got me, not a fan of MMA at all. ;)

However, I do agree that rules should be applied fairly and equally to all, regardless of the sport or government agency enforcing them and the persons being regulated. So we can agree on that much. Hope it works out.

LGT

Enlightened
Why should Nick be freed? Third time being caught.
You want to be a pro MMA fighter, play by the rules.
I'm not biased against Nick. Really good puncher, decent ground game.
I liked watching him fight.
But there are rules to adhere to. Like them or not, there are rules.

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why should Nick be freed? Third time being caught.
You want to be a pro MMA fighter, play by the rules.
I'm not biased against Nick. Really good puncher, decent ground game.
I liked watching him fight.
But there are rules to adhere to. Like them or not, there are rules.
my biggest gripe is the fact that he was tested 3 times within hours of each other. passed two, but the one he failed was a MISERABLE fail. as in it showed 12 times as much marijuana metabolites in his system than the other two tests. passed test at 7:12 pm, miserably failed test at 10:38 pm, passed test again at 11:50 pm. not even possible as far as i know. then the commission is just going to ignore the passed tests and rule based on the failed test? something is definitely afoul here, just hate to see its going to be tied up in courts now while nick sits on the sidelines.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It appears the punishments are disproportionate because he was a repeat offender. It's quite appropriate to increase the punishment when the person does not learn the first two times.

Second, the guy is not in jail, he's just blocked from a performing in a specific set of competitions. He can always fight in other organizations that have different rules. The thread title is a bit overblown.

Third, It's amazing how much drug abuse is NOT detected by tests that are accredited by the organization that makes it's money by exhibitions of people with near super human performance. It's not at all surprising that the WADA tests appear to be less stringent than the independent lab.

Last, what kind of fool makes a great living competing and then uses ANY substance that is banned by his profession? That's just plain DUMB!

As a side note, I'm sure that grass does not come under the heading of performance enhancing drug. Being stoned does, however, lead to poor co-ordination and decision making and that can lead to a athlete getting hurt much worse than normal.

Dan

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
here the nevada state athletic commission's own, recently updated to be stricter guidelines for penalties for failed drug tests http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/5/1...on-massively-overhauls-drug-program-topped-by
Nick Diaz falls under the tier 1 category of sleep aids muscle relaxants and cannabis. notice how the penalty for a third time offense is 36 months. even if this was a legitimately failed drum test, they over shot his suspension by 2 years.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
figured id put a quick update here, im not exactly sure what happened but over the past 12 hours there's been somewhere around 15,000 signatures added to meet the goal of the petition. probably all thanks to this thread.

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
So that means this thread can be closed and we can stop seeing it being bumped to the top of the news feed? *hurrayyyyyy!*

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that means this thread can be closed and we can stop seeing it being bumped to the top of the news feed? *hurrayyyyyy!*
i will admit that i assumed there were probably several MMA fans on these forums and this thread would bring about more discussion. however, there's still got a ways to go on this topic. probably going to be heading to the courts. so to answer your question, nope and thanks for the bump.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
figured i would post an update to this. a couple days ago the NSAC decided to reduce nick's suspension down to 18 months. also, reduced his fine from $160,000 down to $100,000. as it stands, he will be eligible to fight again at the end of July.