Found an old Surefire Z3 Combatlight, it's alive!

Balog

Newly Enlightened
So this thread got me looking through my old flashlight stuff, and I found a Z3 that has seen better days. The rear switch is in bad shape, and the original incan bulb appears to be dead. What are my options for a new dropin module and switch? I'd prefer a clickie instead of the only momentary on one it has now.

For drop ins I know everyone loves Malkoff, but what other quality options are there?

Update! I took it apart, degreased and cleaned the threads, hosed all the electrical points down with contact cleaner, and put in fresh new batteries. It still works!

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Found an old dead Surefire Z3 Combatlight, what shall I do with it?

Lucky you, the Z3's are great lights and are actually pretty rare. :thumbsup:

[...] The rear switch is in bad shape, and the original incan bulb appears to be dead. What are my options for a new dropin module and switch? I'd prefer a clickie instead of the only momentary on one it has now.
With regards to converting the switch to 'clicky' operation, many folks prefer the McClicky insert that goes into the typical Surefire Z41 'twisty/momentary' tailcap; that would be my first choice as this configuration retains the 'correct' tailcap for the light in question. There are probably a few different places to source this, but the first shop that comes to mind is Oveready, as upgrades like that are bread-and-butter for them.

If you had the previous-generation 9Z instead, you would most likely have the older pre-Z41 tailcap which from a practical sense cannot be converted to clicky operation.

[...] What are my options for a new dropin module [...] I know everyone loves Malkoff, but what other quality options are there?
If you want to keep your Z3 unbored (a good choice for the 3-cell SF bodies IMO) you will be limited to 17mm LiIon rechargeable cells (specifically, 2x17670 2x17500) and/or 3xCR123's primaries (with their associated current limits).

If you want to go to rechargeable LiIons, 2x 17670 2x17500 will provide enough current handling to power various high-drain triples, with Oveready again being the first supplier that comes to mind.

On the other hand, if you prefer staying with 3xCR123 primaries, the Malkoff M91 series is probably your best bet as they are not driven quite so hard and have specifically been designed to retain compatibility with CR123's.
Various other maximum-output dropins do outperform the M91's but get beyond the ability of safe operation with 3xCR123.

Hope this helps,

----------

Edit: oops, I meant 2x17500 (having a correct total length), not 2x17670 (which would be too long for this light)

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like very good advice from Kestrel. Check out the Oveready website.
That is a neat flashlight.

Lucky you, the Z3's are great lights and are actually pretty rare. :thumbsup:

With regards to converting the switch to 'clicky' operation, many folks prefer the McClicky insert that goes into the typical Surefire Z41 'twisty/momentary' tailcap; that would be my first choice as this configuration retains the 'correct' tailcap for the light in question. There are probably a few different places to source this, but the first shop that comes to mind is Oveready, as upgrades like that are bread-and-butter for them.

If you had the previous-generation 9Z instead, you would most likely have the older pre-Z41 tailcap which from a practical sense cannot be converted to clicky operation.

If you want to keep your Z3 unbored (a good choice for the 3-cell SF bodies IMO) you will be limited to 17mm LiIon cells and/or 3xCR123's (with their associated current limits).

If you want to go to rechargeable LiIons, 2x 17670 will provide enough current handling to power various high-drain triples, with Oveready again being the first supplier that comes to mind.

On the other hand, if you prefer staying with 3xCR123 primaries, the Malkoff M91 series is probably your best bet as they are not driven quite so hard and have been designed to retain compatibility with CR123's.
Various maximum-output dropins do outperform the M91's but get beyond the ability of safe operation with 3xCR123.

Hope this helps,

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Well, the first thing you need to do with it is take and share pics so we can all ooo and ahh. ;)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

I second and third some of the aforementioned advice. If you convert to click, and I would, would you like a drop in with single mode? Or Multi modes? Also, what do you envision using this light for? For me, it would be a work horse.

If its a beater and rough? I probably would try to do a home bore job to fit some 18650's in it. Then Ultra Clear lens, Click upgrade. As for a drop in. Malkoff would be one option for sure. But, I would also consider a few others. Like Sportac. I guess it depends on what cell configuration you end up with.

Anyways, IMHO it is a light well worthy of a upgrade and set up to do work. :rock::rock::rock:

Oh and scramble up some pics mate.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree about the Malkoffs, but if they are a little bit too dear for your budget, check out Lumens Factory. They have a complete set of D26 (the Surefire P60s and P90s are D26 drop ins) drop ins in both incandescent and LED. I have the three-mode 90+ CRI drop in in my original G2 and love it. It seems to be well built, and if there are ever any problems, Lumens Factory has great customer service as well. Mark, the owner, is a friend of CPF, and actually shows up every now and then in the forums. Whatever you wind up doing, enjoy your light and the extra life you will be getting out of it.

PS: 16500 cells will work just as well, and may be a little easier to find. If they do rattle, a little duct tape around the middle of the cell should take care of that.

Balog

Newly Enlightened

Ick, >$20 for the switch and like $80 for a Malkoff? And I have to drill it out to use 18650's? What kind of trade value would I get for this?

Anyway, here's the album link. Don't know how to size pictures on here so I don't want to blow the thread up with a bunch of giant pics.

http://imgur.com/a/oKPA2

archimedes

Flashaholic

Oh ... that looks to be in pretty nice shape.

I wouldn't bore that out. If you don't want to keep it, and upgrade it properly yourself, it'll sell for sure.

Discussion of pricing is discouraged here, but a search should give you a reasonable idea of value :)

I wouldn't consider it to be a true "collector's" piece but nevertheless, as @Kestrel mentioned, Z3 weren't really very common. Fairly low s/n, too.

Personally, I prefer vintage 3-cell SureFire (for actual use) , as they are better in terms of size, runtime, and battery options.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's total junk, you should send it to me immediately, to save yourself a hassle!

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 6P worked quite well on a Solarforce XM-L Drop-in. I know they aren't as "race-ready" as a Malkoff but mine have lasted three years now without any problems, as long as you don't use the light as an impact weapon I think you'd be fine. They go for about as much as the switch ($30 after shipping). You could also look into getting one of the Eagletac drop ins though I think they are a bit power hungry.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kestrel has given excellent advice. Oveready is an excellent resource to upgrade your Z3.

ganymede

Enlightened

An old Surefire is never dead, plenty of options out there to keep it going.

Balog

Newly Enlightened

Hmmm, the plot thickens. I've been digging around in my old flashlight box and found some interesting things. A couple different Pelican M6's (a Lithium and a 3W), and a little Surefire G2 with a large clicky tailcap and an incan lamp.

When I put the switch from the Z3 on the G2 body it would only screw on a little ways before locking itself on. If I screwed it to the point just before that it worked as a momentary. After that I figured it must just be the lamp on the Z3, but just for fun I tried the head of the Z3 on the G2 body and it turned on. I also tried the clicky tailcap on the Z3 and no luck. So apparently all the components work (ish) separately but none work together. Curious.

On a side note, anyone make upgrade drop ins for 10 year old Pelican M6's?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

clean them up and sell them! The Surefire junkies will buy the old models for a mint

Balog

Newly Enlightened

Haven't been on the site for a while, but I wanted to update. It's working! I took it apart, degreased and cleaned the threads, hosed all the electrical points down with contact cleaner, and put in fresh new batteries. It lights up like new. :D

I had planned to start carrying it as a change of pace from my MDC (I like the longer tube with certain pairs of pants) but we've had some unexpected expenses (kid driving through our fence etc) so I may have to sell it. Still, it's pretty awesome that it's still hanging in there all these years later.

Balog

Newly Enlightened

An old Elektrolumens Blaster Jr. I like it a lot and it works more or less, but it uses a multi-AA battery pack and one end has cracked so it can be less than reliable. I emailed Elektrolumens about buying a replacement and never heard back.

sgt253

Enlightened

An old Elektrolumens Blaster Jr. I like it a lot and it works more or less, but it uses a multi-AA battery pack and one end has cracked so it can be less than reliable. I emailed Elektrolumens about buying a replacement and never heard back.

Nice. I have one of those Elektrolumens as well. They sell AA to D adaptors. Not too hard to come by if you need another. Best of luck.

Balog

Newly Enlightened

I emailed the elektrolumens guy and no response. I should probably just see if Amazon has a generic equivalent.