Thousand Year Rain falls in South Carolina

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
absolutely! Floods can cause terrible and widespread destruction! I was in St. Louis in 1993 when rains in the northern part of the midwest caused the Missouri and Mississippi rivers to flood, and it all comes through St. Louis. So many homes, roads, property, etc. damaged or destroyed. Not sure if lives were lost in the flood, as it was a more gradual event.

Best wishes to everyone dealing with the flooding in South Carolina.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was texting with a friend that lives in Myrtle Beach this AM. He had a new house built outside Myrtle Beach on some acreage. The house sits up around two feet off the ground and his property is very sandy. He didn't have any problems.

His second house on the golf course sits on a large pond that is interconnected to the Inter-coastal Waterway had water up to the entrance door.

They had from Friday night till Sunday afternoon, 20" of rain. Where do you get 20" of rain to drain to?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The paradigm of a '1000 year Rain' will have to be changed to a rain much more frequent as Climate Change takes root. People can argue all day long about the weather, the weather will not listen to what our species has to say.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, Sandy was estimated to be a 700 year event.... seek higher ground

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Perfect Storm 2.0

..not the movie, the unusual confluence of pressure systems

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been there. Had my house flooded. It was only 6inches. Thanks Tropical Storm Allison. I had a mess. I can't imagine how much damage a few feet can cause. Worst thing is, I am sure, very very few had flood insurance. I didn't, so it was all on me. Took me almost a year to get it all fixed back. Needless to say, $300 a year for insurance is cheap. So, lesson learned. Oh I was not in a flood zone. However, a nice farmer, across the road, had changed his drainage system causing a huge field not to drain properly. My legal team (thats a joke) said I was out of luck in holding him accountable. So there you are. Or, there I was.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been there. Had my house flooded. It was only 6inches. Thanks Tropical Storm Allison. I had a mess. I can't imagine how much damage a few feet can cause. Worst thing is, I am sure, very very few had flood insurance. I didn't, so it was all on me. Took me almost a year to get it all fixed back. Needless to say, $300 a year for insurance is cheap. So, lesson learned. Oh I was not in a flood zone. However, a nice farmer, across the road, had changed his drainage system causing a huge field not to drain properly. My legal team (thats a joke) said I was out of luck in holding him accountable. So there you are. Or, there I was.

The farmer must have had a more expensive 'legal Team'; Bob Dylan wrote 'money doesn't talk it swears'.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
sidecross, I think it was a case of his family was very well connected in the community. I am just a normal everyday guy who works hard everyday to pay the bills and have money for lights. They don't care about "us". I used to pray for a drought just to kill his crops. :)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
The paradigm of a '1000 year Rain' will have to be changed to a rain much more frequent as Climate Change takes root. People can argue all day long about the weather, the weather will not listen to what our species has to say.

Yes, and it's likely we ain't seen nuthin' yet. We're not in climate change at this point; the changes have been occurring gradually over the last century; now we're in climate chaos. Very likely the real fun is yet to come. :eek:

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
A lot of times your house will flood with terrible damage yet not qualify for flood insurance pay out. I believe it has to be higher than foundation of house.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Yes, and it's likely we ain't seen nuthin' yet. We're not in climate change at this point; the changes have been occurring gradually over the last century; now we're in climate chaos. Very likely the real fun is yet to come. :eek:

Climate chaos, I'm going to remember that one.

Most of any differences I'm seeing so far seem to be 'water path' related. Like its still evaporating or even evaporating more, but that it's coming down someplace else. So there's a broad pattern of places with less + places with more at the same time. Like the atmosphere got picked up and rotated x hundred miles vs the ground. Like one of those spring loaded puzzle balls.

Best wishes to everyone effected. [candle]

markr6

Flashaholic

Yeah, who knows what will happen. The Earth is 4 or 5 billion years old and we have, what, 200 years of hard weather data? That's such an insignificant amount of time to judge whether or not the weather is really changing. Yes, it seems like it is, but I don't think anyone can say for sure. Even if one year is dry and hot, and the next is a flood every week, I don't think we can really make a sound decision.

It's crazy how this hurricane turned far away, but still pumped all that moisture into the Carolinas!!

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Industrial Revolution is over 200 years old which was also the beginning use of coal and petroleum. Oil was discovered around the late 1850's in Pennsylvania. Climate Change is a new weather change that has its cause in our species thinking it can control nature. This is a good example of Hubris.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Industrial Revolution is over 200 years old which was also the beginning use of coal and petroleum. Oil was discovered around the late 1850's in Pennsylvania. Climate Change is a new weather change that has its cause in our species thinking it can control nature. This is a good example of Hubris.

Coal was used in China 3000 years ago. It wasn't until the mid 1750 that coal was commercially mined in Virginia. Just looked that up on the Coal and Fossil fuel website.

Attempting the associate any weather change with fossil fuel use is not sound. We've had volcanic activity that has blocked UV light from heating the earth.

Our recorded history sucks for accuracy and for a means to tie fossil fuels with either global heating or cooling.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

First, I feel for all the people in S. Carolina dealing with this

We are in an Interglacial,,,, meaning between glaciations (the last one was this morning in geologic time)
There have been many glacial periods & then warmings.
Right outside my backdoor is a heavily glaciated region,, hell all the names of stuff are glacial

About 25 years ago I did a presentation on 'Global Warming' (before it was called climate change) at University Of Wisconsin
in one of my science courses.
Climate is very complex, to suggest we are the sole reason its changes is not complete science

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coal was used in China 3000 years ago. It wasn't until the mid 1750 that coal was commercially mined in Virginia. Just looked that up on the Coal and Fossil fuel website.

Attempting the associate any weather change with fossil fuel use is not sound. We've had volcanic activity that has blocked UV light from heating the earth.

Our recorded history sucks for accuracy and for a means to tie fossil fuels with either global heating or cooling.

Coal was not commercially viable as a fossil fuel until after the invention of the steam engine first used to pump water out of coal mining. Yes, Earth has had many weather changes due to volcanic activity, it also has had five extinctions the last 65 million years ago due to an asteroid impact.

This is obviously not a forum to discuss Climate Change, but a web site sponsored by coal and fossil interests is not a viable source of information. :)

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

We are in an Interglacial,,,, meaning between glaciations
(the last one was this morning in geologic time)

... there have been many glacial periods & then warnings,....rinse repeat

Right outside my backdoor is a heavily glaciated region,, hell all the names of stuff are glacial

add: I did a presentation on "Global Warming" (before it was called climate change) at University Of Wisconsin
nearly 25 years ago in one of my science courses

Time to 'reboot' information has changed in 25 years. :)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

sidecross, you misunderstood me..

We need to reforest
Develop more renewable energy
Expand nuclear power & limit fossil burning