What is the Arc 5's schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the Arc 5\'s schedule?

Now that the Arc 4 is finally finished and the problems more or less ironed out, does anyone know if the ARC 5 is still scheduled to come out after another two months? Since I don't have the budget to buy both, I'll most probably buy the Arc 5.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: What is the Arc 5\'s schedule?

Patience! Let Peter come up for air /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just kidding I have no idea, but I have a feeling it's going to be May or June (2 months from the projected Arc 4 due date) even though the Arc 4 is already out.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Arc5 will come out when it is perfect,
At $250 or so, you would not want him to rush it, would you? When prices get that high, the decision to buy by the consumer gets very unstable. Any inperfection or perceived negative will kill the sale so Peter has to nail it. This will take some time to get ironed out but it should be worth it in the end.
Good things come to those that wait, it is going to be a great summer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
billson said:
Now that the Arc 4 is finally finished and the problems more or less ironed out, does anyone know if the ARC 5 is still scheduled to come out after another two months? Since I don't have the budget to buy both, I'll most probably buy the Arc 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd expect it's not coming anytime soon. Peter is still attempting to get enough production Arc4 units to meet the demand.

Skyline

Enlightened

I wonder if it'll also take some time to get enough quality 5w Luxeons. Please, let us not get any with the donut hole in the middle (like my SF L4 has).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Skyline said:
I wonder if it'll also take some time to get enough quality 5w Luxeons. Please, let us not get any with the donut hole in the middle (like my SF L4 has).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that someone said, the donut hole is inherant to the 5-watters and the reflector and how the combination is focused.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

focus point on a 5W is spread into 4 points with no center, thus the "donut hole" with some reflectors. Surefire L4 has it because you can't adjust the focus.

We'll see how Peter works this out, I'm sure it'll be good.

Since I have to wait and save a while for the Arc4+, I'm considering waiting for the Arc5. No problem waiting if I know it's going to be the best (but I better be able to recieve emails and use it as a TV remote if it's going to be >$250). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

-Jason

Skyline

Enlightened

My understanding is that some L4 owners do not have the donut hole. From this news, it would seem higher QA could result in fewer donut holes (or none).

I'll pay extra for an Arc5+ for a flaw free, donut hole free beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

Hmmm I cant see a hole in my L4.
My PR X3T has one though. Although, I think I can adjust the reflector hieght alittle to help that.

From the large price difference between the Arc 4 and 5, I am guess the Arc5s will have some really nice 5Wers. Otherwise, there wouldnt be a reason to bump the price up that much. Sence the only real difference will be the LED.

Maybe we will find out where all the damn good 5Wers have gone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Byron Walter

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
>250 US samolians.... That's really going to separate the men from the flashaholics....

[/ QUOTE ]

...and separate the flashaholics from their samolians /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sice when did the US switch over to Samoan money? Is the economy that bad? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back on topic: So approx, date looks to be early this summer? Only difference being that it's gonna be brighter?

-Jason

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quite honestly, after playing with the ARC4 for a weekend, its hard to see how Peter could possibley add any more to the ARC5, without compromising the ergonomics. Perhaps the tail-standing endcap with a lanyard ring that everyones' been asking for, but functionaly, the new electronics do pretty much everything one could ask for in a small EDC light. I'll certainly be putting my name down for one.

Overload

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Quite honestly, after playing with the ARC4 for a weekend, its hard to see how Peter could possibley add any more to the ARC5, without compromising the ergonomics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, how about the same light, but much brighter? I assume the ARC5 is an ARC4 with a 5 watt bulb instead of the ARC4 1 watt.
I don't expect any other upgrades.

Overload in Colorado

paulr

Flashaholic

I don't think donut holes are inherent in 5W/reflector combos. The Surefire L4 has no donut hole as far as I'm aware. Some reflectorless 5W lights with optics (EL Blaster VI etc.) have a donut hole, that seems harder to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.