Improved Streamlight TLR-1 HL

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a Streamlight TLR-1 HL today even though I had previously written it off due to the odd tint and beam pattern I see in most reviews. No one ever mentions it, it's just something I noticed. I'm already a fan of Surefire products, so I decided on a Surefire X300 Ultra, who's size seemed to be the only negative.
Today I decided to check out the TLR-1 HL in person at local dealer, and even though the display model had the same purple tint and squarish, lopsided beam pattern, common sense kicked in and I decided for its intended use, it would be a non-issue.
The one I purchased, however, seems to be an updated version. The center of the optic, which covers the LED is frosted. The tint is much nicer than the display model as well. It's more neutral with only very slight hints of violet in the outer spill.
Here's a pic of the optic
7feec363b781894ef809182f47a07984.jpg

And a daytime beams shot on a tan dash panel
6085e5456de89a9470edb4a13cf3af82.jpg

And some random pics of the optic and beam I googled of the older version
f80bcaecba89b173e403095c2fd7f9de.jpg

390c7b69b8a75d8a3b56ecb7b21b8905.jpg

The compact size of this over the X300 Ultra are a plus as well. I programmed out the strobe as soon as I opened it since I have zero use for it. I just wanted to let you guys know about the improvements I noticed after purchase. Thanks.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, major improvement. My vintage TRL1 had a great beam profile. No complaints. But I am glad to see they have them nice again now. I have always enjoyed my light.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a new SL fan....:party:

I don't know if I'm a new fan. The Microstream is the only non-CR123/LiIon light I buy. I've owned a PT1L that I gifted a good friend of mine two years ago and he still carries it daily. I owned a Strion for a while too. Great light, but the minimalist in me didn't like owning the dedicated charger along with my normal LiIon charger for 18650's and such. Gifted that to a bro-in-law. He LOVES it. Then I wanted a full size light, so I picked up a Stinger LED. Solid light as well, but the size got old quickly so I sold that one. If flashlights didn't have that hobby-like appeal to me that they do, I'd probably own nothing but Streamlights. The beams and tints are sometimes a little funny, but most non flashaholics would never notice. They have excellent turn key products for heavy use.
I'm really a fan of this TLR-1 HL. The beam is REALLY nice.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, major improvement. My vintage TRL1 had a great beam profile. No complaints. But I am glad to see they have them nice again now. I have always enjoyed my light.

I was kind of leaning towards getting the non-HL, 300 lumen TLR-1 because the beam usually looks much cleaner in the reviews I've seen. I'm glad I took a chance on the HL now.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I'm a new fan. The Microstream is the only non-CR123/LiIon light I buy. I've owned a PT1L that I gifted a good friend of mine two years ago and he still carries it daily. I owned a Strion for a while too. Great light, but the minimalist in me didn't like owning the dedicated charger along with my normal LiIon charger for 18650's and such. Gifted that to a bro-in-law. He LOVES it. Then I wanted a full size light, so I picked up a Stinger LED. Solid light as well, but the size got old quickly so I sold that one. If flashlights didn't have that hobby-like appeal to me that they do, I'd probably own nothing but Streamlights. The beams and tints are sometimes a little funny, but most non flashaholics would never notice. They have excellent turn key products for heavy use.
I'm really a fan of this TLR-1 HL. The beam is REALLY nice.

Yes, they are definitely an acquired taste for most I've noticed. I've had great success with the PolyTac, ProTac 2L & the ProTac AAA.
The ProTac AAA I love but will be selling shortly, it's been exceptional at everything and still looks brandy new. I think it's also the most underrated light of 2015. Im also selling the 2L. Both excellent lights, but I have this strange obsession with the PolyTac.....strange, as the others are awesome. The PolyTac just really sticks in my brain for whatever reason and I would like backups and some change for CR123's.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's nice that they improved those aspects. I have a TLR-1 HL and it has the super cool white tint and also the squarish hotspot. For a flashaholic it's a problem, but for real world use the hotspot shape doesn't matter. I had an original TLR-1 which was only 80 lumens and it had a traditional reflector. I was expecting the same with the HL version but found it had an optic when I got it. I noticed the square hotspot right away and wasn't happy about it. When I mounted the light, I realized that the entire area I would point at was well illuminated and the square shape was well outside of the point of aim.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they are definitely an acquired taste for most I've noticed. I've had great success with the PolyTac, ProTac 2L & the ProTac AAA.

I may be picking up a PT2L in the future. It's much more compact than it looks in the pics. Adequate output and good run time. Wish I had some dough left over to make you an offer. Good luck dude.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TLR-1 HL and it has the super cool white tint and also the squarish hotspot. For a flashaholic it's a problem, but for real world use the hotspot shape doesn't matter.

I agree. The flashaholic in me wanted a nice beam, but I knew it really didn't matter. That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the nice beam and tint. [emoji16]
Here's a quick beam shot on a white wall.
11cfddbaecc8630494b20f5086d684c3.jpg

Last edited:

weasel!

Newly Enlightened
Hi I wonder if it takes rcr123a ore only cr123a.
I'am good with ether, Ijust don want to fri it

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi I wonder if it takes rcr123a ore only cr123a.
I'am good with ether, Ijust don want to fri it

I honestly have no idea. Although I have some old AW RCR123's, I don't want to take chance of frying the light either. I would probably try it if I had some LifePo4 cells as they have a lower voltage compared to regular RCR123's.
I personally have no reason or desire to run a weapon mounted light with rechargeables. It doesn't really get too much use and primaries are less prone to failure during recoil. I've had a PCB fail on a 17670 when I dropped a light on its tail before. I wouldn't want to chance a failure like that at an inopportune time on a WML.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

Agreed, I am a huge fan and major user of rechargeable batteries, but for weapon-mounted lights primary batteries are the way to go.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the thread. The TLR is on my radar but a long long ways away.

I carry a Strion LED and a TL 2 LED everywhere I go along with a microstream and an Alpha.

If all goes well a Stinger classic LED will be in my rotation soon.

Since around October the other brands in my collection are being used less and less in exchange for various Streamlights...including G2x Pro's being replaced by Polytacs.
And a recent aquisition of a like new ProTac from Mr. Chump compliments a Scorpion HL.