What is the story with INOVA?

big_bush

Newly Enlightened
Bought a new INOVA T1 and T2 recently, thinking they were made in USA. Didn't do my research good enough, but still got 2 fantastic lights, although not made in the USA. So what is the story with this company? It seems like when I go to look for any review on either of these lights there are several different models under the same company name, but they are all different. This is confusing the hell out of me. If anyone can shed some light on the INOVA T1 and T2 lights, I'd appreciate it. And is there anywhere to even order replacement tailcap covers for these 2 lights?

Thanks for any replies.....

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
all I know is INOVA is a Nite Ize company and that my very expensive T4R is a piece of under powered crap. Damn shame because the light itself is a tank. Just below average battery life and an awful beam profile with pencil thin hot spot. I see they are still in business though and have jacked up the output in their bigger lights. Almost tempted to get one but not until I see some kind of review. As far as I know they are a US Company(not totally sure about that)that has everything made in China. I know that they are more known for their smaller lights they do look pretty sweet.

As far as I know there are no replacement parts to be ordered in the first place. Damn shame to Nite Ize can cram their doo dads and keychain this and that around every HD register in the country but is a black hole when it comes to CS

Illum

Flashaholic
Inova was originally an all american company, way back in 2006, called itself Emissive Energy Corp. Excellent lights, built like an executive tank, used a funny "TIROS" optic that produced more of a moonbeam than a flashlight. Sometime after 2010 Nite ize bought them out, pretty much ruined them

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Excellent lights, built like an executive tank, used a funny "TIROS" optic that produced more of a moonbeam than a flashlight...

Still chugging
17088937002_a6481f2352_z.jpg

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to buy a T1 (100 lumens, 4hrs rated runtime,excellent build) years ago but then Fenix came out with the excellent TK10.
Sometime later I snagged a Victorinox kit with a small SAK and a 2AA luxeon powered light made by Inova with a twisty head. Worked well but only put out about 40-60 lumens and ate batteries fast.

Now I see someone nearby selling a Mossy Oak Inova X2 150/18 lumen two mode light for 33$ and I'm thinking whether to get it.

big_bush

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies gentleman.
The INOVA T1 and T2 I just received appear to be very well-made and I intend to carry them rotating them for work. Kind of funny that my cheapo 'LA Police Gear' L2 light I've used for quite a while is just so much brighter and cost 1/2 as much. I do have a couple Fenix lights and appreciate their warranty and availability to replacement parts. It's just really irking me that INOVA has no such website to order replacement parts, and I really don't even know which versions of which models I own.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies gentleman.
The INOVA T1 and T2 I just received appear to be very well-made ... It's just really irking me that INOVA has no such website to order replacement parts, and I really don't even know which versions of which models I own.

Inova often changes the specifications and features on a flashlight without significantly changing the model name. Darn confusing for consumers, but this permits some dealers to be ambiguous when advertising so they can more easily pawn off older versions. You have to look at the suffix above the bar code on the back of the package to more uniquely which version you have, e.g., T1-MP.

I have had many Inova lights including two T2 versions and a couple of T1 versions. The earliest T1 employed only 1 CR123A battery and had a TIROS lens for a narrow focus. My other T1 uses 2 CR123A batteries, has a reflector, and emits a floody beam. Both were single mode lights.

The current T1 (model T1C-01-R7) has high, low, and strobe modes.

http://www.niteize.com/product/INOVA-T1-Tactical-LED-Flashlight.asp

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a lot to love about the original X1. The price was great. It was available in colors! A twistie light! One mode! Paracord hole! Aspheric lens!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the older versions, I forget what model, it has 5 or 6 leds, angry blue tint, eats 2 cr123s for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Rock solid construction. I got it for my vehicle glove box years ago. I put it in the holster it comes with and it still to this day looks brand new and works flawless. It has be regulated to back up the back up duties.

Story time:
On a family trip I came back to the SUV from inside restaurant. It was late in the evening. I found my wife in the passenger seat using the trusty INOVA to dig through her purse. I asked, what are you looking for? She said, I have to find some baby food in the back of the vehicle. I inquire, why are you looking in your purse with that light then? She says, I am looking for that real flashlight you gave me. I almost woke the baby laughing. She was looking for her Surefire E2D TNT. :)

She then adds insult to INOVA injury and declares: "Why do YOU have this light anyways"? Emphasis on the YOU. Knowing most all my lights are over the top.

So even a non-flashaholic knows the difference.

So the OP asks what is the story with INOVA? I would ask, did they ever have a good story in the first place??

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I may be in the minority, but I like the T1 form factor and build quality very much, with it's simple UI. I think that previous versions were slow to upgrade the led, but today's versions are respectable in their targeted output and runtimes. No other light I've ever had comes close to the solid quality build and feel of the T1. It's one of those lights that is more than it's specs. A ton of fenix/eagletac/olight/etc later, and the T1 is still a very cool light.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the older versions, I forget what model, it has 5 or 6 leds, angry blue tint, eats 2 cr123s for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Rock solid construction.

That's probably the Inova X5. I have a bunch of them, too, though not the newest, 2-mode version. I'd be interested in a 1xCR123A version if Inova ever decided to offer one.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked the old AA version.
Was slick in fit an finish an had a nice beam even if ate cells.
Button gave out in mine, never replaced it.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Str8stroke"I have one of the older versions, I forget what model, it has 5 or 6 leds, angry blue tint, eats 2 cr123s for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Rock solid construction. I got it for my vehicle glove box years ago. I put it in the holster it comes with and it still to this day looks brand new and works flawless. It has be regulated to back up the back up duties."

I agree parnass, it has to be an X5. In its day, the X5 was THE LED light to buy! I also had a couple each, of the first TIROS versions of the T-1 and T-2, and then got the upgraded ones, they were also single level. At that time, they were excellent lights. Then came along Nite ize............... They haven't been the same since.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the beam out of my T4R looks just like the narrow purple beam posted above. They HAVE to have some kind of CS though I have just never had to deal with them and hope I never have to. My T4R puts out one of the nastiest beams Ive ever seen thus it sits unused.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I may be in the minority, but I like the T1 form factor and build quality very much, with it's simple UI. I think that previous versions were slow to upgrade the led, but today's versions are respectable in their targeted output and runtimes. No other light I've ever had comes close to the solid quality build and feel of the T1. It's one of those lights that is more than it's specs. A ton of fenix/eagletac/olight/etc later, and the T1 is still a very cool light.

I have always thought that the T1 has the best form factor for a 2XCR123 light. I wish Nite -Ize would have stuck with single level for the tactical models but I am a tint snob these days anyway and I doubt INOVA will ever go to neutral LEDs. I do have a couple T1s and T2s circa 2008 that I still use. They are single level and have a "not quite neutral" off-white tint, 100-125 lumens, still not bad we are all a little lumen crazy these days. For the OP researching INOVAs is probably always going to yield frustrating results.Some INOVA lights are completely different than the original models using the same designation and will have very different specs. My understanding is that INOVA lights were only ever assembled in the U.S. with most of the manufacturing occurring in China so they were never really "made" in the U.S. like a Surefire for e.g.,all production is now completed in China. It looks like Nite -Ize is trying to respond to the general market with all lights having multiple modes but they may have lost their niche market in the process. INOVAs are still decent lights I think but they have always been behind the tech. curve and don't have great appeal to most flashoholics.The XP and XS AAA lights are the best current offerings from INOVA/Nite-Ize IMHO.The X5 and T series lights were better as single level no-nonsense lights AFAIAC.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a new INOVA T1 and T2 recently, thinking they were made in USA. Didn't do my research good enough, but still got 2 fantastic lights, although not made in the USA. So what is the story with this company? It seems like when I go to look for any review on either of these lights there are several different models under the same company name, but they are all different. This is confusing the hell out of me. If anyone can shed some light on the INOVA T1 and T2 lights, I'd appreciate it. And is there anywhere to even order replacement tailcap covers for these 2 lights?

Thanks for any replies.....
You may be able to get get replacement tail caps from Nite - Ize if you contact the company but I don't know of any other source. Assuming the T2 still uses a narrow body the tail cap from an X5 will work as a twisty switch for the T2 in a pinch.

akhyar

Enlightened
I still have the X5 in titanium oxide coating or whatever they call it.
Still rock solid after more than a decade of usage, although I think only used it for the first couple of years, when LED flashlight was still in the infancy.
I think their lineups nowadays are what @beaconterraone summarised; overpriced and underperforming.
It's a pity as they have a great start and were well received in their early days.