Recommend me a nightstand flashlight

Firstnissan

Newly Enlightened
Hi i'm looking for a bedside flashlight. i am not sure if my specs are available. I want a 1-2AA led flashlight for my nightstand. I need two modes only, a low (10+\-) lumens and a high (250+) lumens. I dont want any strobes or have to cycle through various setting to get between outputs. A tailcap clicky is preferable. Price ideally <$80. Any suggestions? Thanks!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use either a Zebralight SC52 or a SC5 on my nightstand. 1xAA lights. You can program in the level of low and high you want. Short click for high, longer press for low. (Also can program a medium mode, but it takes 2 clicks to come on in that mode.)

I also like the Armytek Prime A1 or A2. It has mode memory, so you can leave it on the output level you want (or long press to start in a firefly mode, then hold to cycle up). If you need high, double-click for max (350-500 lumens, depending on model). Or, cycle up through the modes by holding down the on button, until you get to the brightness you need.

I also like the old 4sevens Quark Tactical lights, you could program the 2 modes you want. But, they no longer make them.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Few under budget choices.
Mini Mag Pro would be nice. However it is a twisty.

A excellent choice for $35 off Amazon is the Nitecore MT2A.
Its AA, 2 mode up to 325 lumens. It is a solid performer.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Quark Click QK2A (throwy) or QK2A-X (floody) is a low/high 2 mode (w/ mode memory) for $47/50 before CPF discount. Low is ~4 lms though.

Great US warranty and CS.

uofaengr

Enlightened
No tail clicky, but if strictly for bedside I'd say Zebralight SC5(w) for reasons listed above. It's a little more hefty than the 52 so maybe less chance of knocking it over in the dark. Also no need for 14500 to get max brightness.

cyclesport

Enlightened
+1 on the Zebralight suggestions others have recommended already, and is what I mostly use as well for nightstand duty, however the L3 Illumination L11C meets the bulk of your req's/desires except it's a 3 or 4 (your choice) mode light. The 4 mode is my fave due to the added .09 sub-lumen mode to start...and something you should most certainly consider since most CPF'ers wouldn't even dream of using a nightstand light without a sub-lumen mode for several good reasons.

The L11C is a rather unique light in that it was essentially designed by a flashaholic, a 1 X AA light with a reverse clicky UI, and sells at a budget friendly $35, can be had w/a Nichia 219b emitter, and always starts on the lowest mode (IMO absolutely essential for a nightstand light).

Frankly, if you're new to enthusiast's LED flashlights, and this is primarily for using just as you awake while still dark...especially the 4 mode, 219b version...you'd be hard pressed to pick a better light for this purpose!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus P1A
$38
Single AA
Forward clicky
Low 11 lumens for 28 hours
High 150 lumens for 1.5 hours

Head loose = low mode
Head tight = high mode

Stupid simple.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThruNtite T10 with neutral emitter. Comes with a diffuser cone and you can put a trit in the lanyard slot (I got the idea from Gunga). I have the ti and gave my wife the SS.

jmwking

Newly Enlightened
I'll also endorse getting a Zebra. It has three main levels, each with a bright and dim choice that is replayed the next time you go there. Short click for high, slow click for low. Albeit with multiple presses for the intermediary levels.

The dim-low (<1 lumen) is really nice at 2am - and I've used it that way as a hotel bathroom nightlight countless times (my kids love it!). Also nice to get around the room when my wife is sleeping in.

The bright-low is too bright for really dark-adjusted eyes, but good for navigating around trees at 2 am when camping.

Zebra has a really nice UI once you learn it. Really fast high. Quick enough low. Lots of spots in between.

-jk

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I use a Streamlight TR-1 in the bedroom but it's attached to a Walther PPQ 9MM.:grin2:

we used to have a nice 32 cal PPK. Nice gun.

But to the thread's point, I would suggest a night side table light needs to be first most reliable, next heavier for personal protection use, and bright enough to slow down an intruder. That would be at minimum a 2D or 3D maglite; or better, modded to ROP or WA1111. Very reliable, very bright and useful too.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I have a maglite xl 200 as my main night stand light, great for moonlight mode etc. also have a maglite 3D ml300 LX. In my night stand safe I have a mag tac and glock. I'm a magaholic.

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
I also have a Quark AA2 Pro In the bedroom to go with my TR-1.It was my first quality flashlight.I didn't like it much for EDC but it's a good bedroom light.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
my "house light" is the 360 lumen Coast HP7 Pro which can be found at almost any Lowes. Bright enough and the excellent push pull variable focus is first rate.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like the Armytek Prime A1 or A2. It has mode memory, so you can leave it on the output level you want (or long press to start in a firefly mode, then hold to cycle up). If you need high, double-click for max (350-500 lumens, depending on model). Or, cycle up through the modes by holding down the on button, until you get to the brightness you need.

+1 the 0.15 lumen Firefly mode 1 is surprisingly bright when it is really dark

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Klarus P1A
$38
Single AA Forward clicky

Low 11 lumens for 28 hours
High 150 lumens for 1.5 hours
Head loose = low mode
Head tight = high mode

Stupid simple.

^^ this

Like a double A version of an Alpha or MD2 hi/lo.
Set it where you want it. Leave it.

At the 1am nature call plenty of light to see from tripping over the dog w/o waking the neighbors. Quick twist...BAM!!! Blinded bad guy.

Heck yeah. Thanks cland...I'ma get one of these myself.

Last edited: