Maxtorch        
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Warm White LED flash light?

  1. #1

    Default Warm White LED flash light?

    I've been using a basic Cree Q5 LED torch for paint with light photography, trouble is the colour temperature of an LED torch is just too high, is it possible to get "warm white" torches, my friend says I could try painting the lens with paint designed to go on headlights to bring the colour temperature down, this would probably be a bit like putting an 82B filter on the front of the torch and my only concern about that is that it would reduce the brightness by almost half and that seems quite an inefficient way to do it.

  2. #2
    peter yetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Norfolk UK
    Posts
    4,304

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Have a look at the Malkoff website in the P60 led upgrades. Products/categories. They do various outputs in warm, neutral and cool. Then stick it in an MD2 body. They also fit Solarforce, Surefire 6P and anything else that takes a P60.
    Being an anorak, mine are in MD2's. Also Illumination Supply do Malkoff drop ins and sometimes have exclusives on Nichia 219 Malkoffs, just waiting for them to restock.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Nothing says warm-white to me like a Nichia 219B. It's close to white, but with a slight tint of pink/tan, so it has a bit of warmth to it. Anything lower in color temperature, and you start going away from white, approaching towards reddish.

  4. #4
    Flashaholic* CelticCross74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Fairfax Va
    Posts
    3,914

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Supposedly the Nichia 219B emitter puts out the same K range as sunlight. Ive seen the 219B before and although different I dont see natural sunlight temp.

    Here are the most impressive neutral white lights I have-

    Olight Javelot both M2X and M3XS-UT both have a yellowish halogen like tint.
    Eagletac TX25C2 NW-Eagletac NW emitters are some of the most neutral I have seen.
    Eagletac T25C2 XP-L HI-the first truly neutral XP-L HI I have seen the beam is incredible
    Thrunite TN12 2014 NW-Thrunite picks their NW emitters as well as Eagletac very neutral light.
    Thrunite TN4A NW-Once again Thrunite chooses a near yellow NW emitter

  5. #5

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Just to make sure you know what you're looking for, check out this old thread:

    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...=1#post2597943

    It shows the 3 main options, in this case, on a Xeno E03.

    1. Cool white
    2. Neutral white
    3. Warm white

    Sometimes I think people confuse warm white with neutral, so I just wanted to make sure.
    GOOD TINT!

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* FRITZHID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Icelandic wastelands of Monico, WI
    Posts
    2,499

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    I like the xml2 5c3 warm white dedomed for light painting.
    Very very close to incan/halogen in cct & cri imho.
    I Got tired of looking for the light at the end of the tunnel so i lit that bitch up myself! Convoy s2 365nm, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, Amondotech n30, vss-3A, Reylight Ti Lan v3, Helius Sigma 9, astrolux s41 219, Shadow JM35, BLF GT,

  7. #7

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross74 View Post
    Supposedly the Nichia 219B emitter puts out the same K range as sunlight. Ive seen the 219B before and although different I dont see natural sunlight temp.

    Because it isn't. 219B is like 4400-4600 kelvin, while mid-day sunlight is around 5700 kelvin.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Same order for puzzle pics (yes, my child found the front end of the school bus delicious)

    6500k (does not show as well since others have their drivers boosted, much more blue than in pic)
    5000k
    4000k
    2900k high CRI



    Last edited by Tixx; 10-07-2015 at 01:03 PM.

  9. #9
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    Because it isn't. 219B is like 4400-4600 kelvin, while mid-day sunlight is around 5700 kelvin.
    Also, unlike an LED, sunlight is very broad spectrum, and does not have the typical blue peak of an LED. That's one reason why a 5700K LED tends to look harsh and blue while sunlight doesn't.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* CelticCross74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Fairfax Va
    Posts
    3,914

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Correct sunlight is a K range not a fixed single temperature. To my eyes the 219B looked more unnatural than natural. If I were a painter or photog and I wanted excellent color rendition I would use my TX25C2 NW Idk the specifics of the emitter bin but out of all my lights this ET in particular just makes true colors pop.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Just to make sure you know what you're looking for, check out this old thread:

    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...=1#post2597943

    It shows the 3 main options, in this case, on a Xeno E03.

    1. Cool white
    2. Neutral white
    3. Warm white

    Sometimes I think people confuse warm white with neutral, so I just wanted to make sure.
    Basically I want a high output torch that gives out a colour temperature about the same as tungsten, the camera adjusts the colour temperature of everything else down so it looks natural but as the torch has a much higher temperature you might end up with a blue bridge.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tixx View Post
    Same order for puzzle pics (yes, my child found the front end of the school bus delicious)6500k (does not show as well since others have their drivers boosted, much more blue than in pic)5000k 4000k 2900k high CRI
    Very Helpful post!!! Thanks!!!

    I know why I prefer the Malkoff N series now.


    Anyway ajuk....try an incan Sure Fire 6p (about $60) with a Malkoff WL or NL (about $40) will give you lots of light and 5 hour battery life.

    The only LL I see at Malkoff Devices lately is the WLL, which mimics a genuine P60 incan...slightly warmer imo, very similar brightness...bonus, 10 hr battery life.

    Malkoff drop in legend:
    W = warm
    L = Low (100-175 depending on tint)
    LL = LowLow (75 lumens +/-)
    N = Neutral
    His site describes each emitter brightness and characteristics well.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 10-07-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: words crammed together...again
    John 3:16

  13. #13

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Plenty of good info above... you can also get a filter set and cut your own lens filters to further modify the tint... lots of good posts on CPF about that as well. I would imagine the filters won't reduce your output nearly as much as whatever paint you are referring to...

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* stephenk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    718

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    I've been using a basic Cree Q5 LED torch for paint with light photography, trouble is the colour temperature of an LED torch is just too high, is it possible to get "warm white" torches, my friend says I could try painting the lens with paint designed to go on headlights to bring the colour temperature down, this would probably be a bit like putting an 82B filter on the front of the torch and my only concern about that is that it would reduce the brightness by almost half and that seems quite an inefficient way to do it.
    I'm also a light painter and have the same issue - requiring a warm 3000k(ish) high-CRI light source for illuminating the scene. Aside from going down the P60 drop in route (which I'm not keen on as I'd prefer to avoid LiIon batteries), there is a flashlight in this thread http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...or-Kickstarter that might be what you are looking for. I think there will still be a few weeks until it is on kickstarter.

    If you are OK with 4000k (which I'm not as it is still neutral white in my opinion), then there are more options - have a look at Zebralight or Armytek.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* Phaserburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    4,750

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    If you are trying to get the clearest most accurate vision possible with a flashlight, for painting, etc, consider also adding diffusion film to the lens. A hotspot up close can distort perception of color drastically; natural light doesn't have a hotspot. The hotspot also tends to be of a different tint than the spill to varying degrees.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

    Best Diffusion Film!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?



    Bill
    Pacific NW

  17. #17

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    I love that ^^
    GOOD TINT!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Based on all my experience with different led kelvins, I've come to the conclusion that around 5200k is just about pure white for me, while anywhere from 4000k to 6000k could be considered a neutral white, and anything less than 4000k warm and above 6000k cold.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    ^^ same here.
    John 3:16

  20. #20

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross74 View Post
    Correct sunlight is a K range not a fixed single temperature. To my eyes the 219B looked more unnatural than natural. If I were a painter or photog and I wanted excellent color rendition I would use my TX25C2 NW Idk the specifics of the emitter bin but out of all my lights this ET in particular just makes true colors pop.
    I would not do that. Better to either use an incan, or common fluorescent (to match likely indoor viewing conditions, rather than sunlight), for the time being. LEDs are just not there, today.

    Quote Originally Posted by wjv View Post


    Just one problem: they show white as blue, without a reference. The truest white on almost all PC monitors is going to be around 6500K (6500K sunlight, as seen on the ground by us, is used for the ideal white point).

  21. #21

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Quote Originally Posted by cerbie View Post
    Just one problem: they show white as blue, without a reference. The truest white on almost all PC monitors is going to be around 6500K (6500K sunlight, as seen on the ground by us, is used for the ideal white point).
    Are you sure?


  22. #22

    Default Re: Warm White LED flash light?

    Quote Originally Posted by KenSrf View Post
    Are you sure?

    Quite. Mainly in that perceived pure white v. blue or red depends on what, if else, is around, until you get to the color temp being very low, or very high. The first picture, with the vases, is the most misleading, though (well, and this one, but that's intentional ).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •