Surefire G2X Pro or Streamlight Scorpion HL?

led-head

Newly Enlightened
I already have the Streamlight Strion, and am very pleased with it, but I've been thinking about getting either a G2X Pro or a Scorpion HL. What are the pros and cons of each? I use my lights mostly on bike rides and jogs and occasionally at work as a security guard. If I already have the Strion, is it even worth getting one of the other ones? Oh and I assume neither takes 18650s (which SUCKS), so I'm hoping there's the possibility of using rechargeable CR123As?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to use 18650's which is easier and smart. I would suggest you look at the Solarforce L2 series lights. Then pick what P60 drop in fits your uses best. I would probably do a 3 mode. You can get a full set up for under $50. The advantage here is decent quality, all aluminum construction, so you can put higher power leds in it if you choose, you can use 18650's, and best of all you can change out the P60 to anything you want down the road. Call it future proof if you will.

But between your choices, if it were me, G2X Pro no doubt. But yes you if you go with the ones you mentioned you can use RCR123's. Just make sure they are 3.0 volts! Soshine makes some decent cells. Of course you will need charger too. So add $25 to your cost.

B&H photo has the SF for less than the Streamlight, and you get a free Fenix E01 flashlight with purchase. Heck of a deal if you want that.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight FTW. As mentioned above Solarforce makes better Surefires than Surefire does. Solarforce host plus ET P60 drop in of your choosing equals awesome.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight FTW. As mentioned above Solarforce makes better Surefires than Surefire does. Solarforce host plus ET P60 drop in of your choosing equals awesome.

Really? You think so?

I like the G2x Pro in tan Ledhed.
30 lumens gets it done in most close quarters cases but click a second time and "kapow"...instant blinded bad guy.
Black ones are cool imo, but the tan is easier to see in low light and doesn't have a 'steal me' look to the smash n grab type if left on the seat of your car etc.

Last edited:

led-head

Newly Enlightened
Wow thanks for the input guys! Now I'm torn between building my own solarforce and getting the g2x pro with a rechargeable 16650. How can I go about building a solarforce with an xp-l drop in? Will it be as durable as the G2X Pro?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, in terms of value a Solarforce P60 host plus your choice of P60 drop in stomps an actual Surefire and in the end youll spend half as much. I dont hate Surefire I just hate their meant for fat government contract pricing of their better lights. For example I have always wanted the 500 now 600 lumen Fury. I found a 500 lumen Fury at a tactical store 3 days ago. I asked about it, the package had quite obviously been torn totally open. They said it was a return, okay how much? $155! At the time I was there looking for Maxpedition holsters for my SRT6 and G25C2 MkII that I had in my pocket. I couldnt believe it. They also had a slightly smaller Surefire in the case it was 4 Backup models all brand new how much did they want? $255!

Both lights I had in my pocket flat out smoke any Surefire that was in that case and at most cost me 70% what they wanted for a single mode 500 lumen used Fury. I found my Maxpedition sheaths at least.
I could not care less that Surefire bodies are machined in California they are still full of Chinese parts as Surefire admits to on their "Made in the USA" page on their own site. Okay they actually say "outside the US" not "China" but where else are they going to source their mystery emitters and parts?

At least with Solarforce you have the SF form factor and get to choose from quite a few drop ins of your choice of emitter(s) and outputs. The better Surefires in terms of cost vs performance are an extremely poor value. But hey if youve got the cash and want a good Surefire by all means go ahead and stock up it is indeed a free market. Yes I am feeling burned by the cost of that Fury Ive always wanted new OR used it is a beautiful design with great ergos. Just not willing to pay THAT much of a luxury cost. Hell my several years old TK15 takes 2 battery types, has equal quality machining and ergos as the Fury has roughly equal output, several modes, strobe a fantastic XP-G2 set up and at the time cost me $70 brand new.

This thread has made me want to buy a Solarforce host and a couple drop ins for it. Think I will. As durable as the G2X Pro? The G2X Pro with its tough polymer body and polycarbonate lens is indeed pretty tough or should be. The body and lens mitigate the shock of impacts better than aluminum and some glass. An aluminum Solarforce body does not mitigate impact shock as well but the P60 drop ins that I have seen have thick hardened glass lenses which should hold up just as well as the poly lens on the G2X Pro if not better.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sure Fire gets fat government contracts because of a Congressional act called Buy American.
It requires a product be made of 90% American parts and built in the USA.
Solar Force, and all those other little tin toy chinese lights aren't able to meet that.

Plus nearly any soldier you ask will tell you if it's his life because his lights fails...screw solar force.

Ok got that out of my system.

I have several G2 lights including a few of the Pro model. But this thread had me intrigued so I bought a Scorpion for $58. It hasn't arrived yet so I cannot comment on it yet.

The complaints most stated were that the rubberized coating sticks in sheaths and holsters, slowing down quick draw illumination.

Folks raved about the Ten Tap UI where you can hi/lo/strobe, hi only or lo/hi (which is why I bought one)
600 lumens with about 3/4 hour battery life with another 3/4 hour of dimming to dead.
30 lumens is rated to last dozens of hours.
Usually I avoid tricky d1ckey programable lights. But for $58, I'll winter carry it, or throw it off a bridge one.

Should arrive in a few days. But overall ratings are good with the 6 volt operation, ease of changing modes that stay there and plenty durable.
Some folks said it gets warm. Maybe that's why it has a glass lens.

And it qualifies for big fat government contracts, so police officers are a big market for them as many localities issue those and/or other Stream Lights to their officers.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several G2 lights including a few of the Pro model. But this thread had me intrigued so I bought a Scorpion for $58. It hasn't arrived yet so I cannot comment on it yet.

The complaints most stated were that the rubberized coating sticks in sheaths and holsters, slowing down quick draw illumination.

Folks raved about the Ten Tap UI where you can hi/lo/strobe, hi only or lo/hi (which is why I bought one)
600 lumens with about 3/4 hour battery life with another 3/4 hour of dimming to dead.
30 lumens is rated to last dozens of hours.
Usually I avoid tricky d1ckey programable lights. But for $58, I'll winter carry it, or throw it off a bridge one.

Should arrive in a few days. But overall ratings are good with the 6 volt operation, ease of changing modes that stay there and plenty durable.
Some folks said it gets warm. Maybe that's why it has a glass lens.

And it qualifies for big fat government contracts, so police officers are a big market for them as many localities issue those and/or other Stream Lights to their officers.

The ONLY complaint that I have about my Scorpion is that it will not stay powered up on a Li-Ion battery. Otherwise, it has made my (engineered) single - mode SF Fury a top-of-the-dresser light to simply admire from afar!

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ really?

Uh oh!!

Thanks for the tip. Good lookin' out.

Make note to self....if going to a night time gun fight leave the scorpion on the night table...

Just so there is no misunderstanding, the light only does this when trying to use lithium ion batteries (meaning, lithium ion batteries do not work in this light).

It works perfectly on 2x123's.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gotcha.

Gotta study up on my battery acronyms. Thought CR 123 are lithium ion.
Again, good looking out bro.

Yeah I read that they didn't play nice with (unspecified type of) rechargebles.

Turning now to the battery section channel...

Ok..edit:
So the Li stands for Lithium, as is in like Lithium Manganese or something where Lithium Ion is dense power rechargeables...
I kept see-ing CR123, Li...so I just figured the lower case I was for ion...because ions are small...

Oooooh, if only I had a brain. :D

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Scorpion arrived.
Holy Cow that thing is bright!!

I'll state a few opinions/comparisons so buyers can decide. The G2xPro mentioned is the 320 lumen version.

Both cost around $60 at amazon.

If brightness is what you're after, the Scorpion wins that battle. Not even close. G2x is a good room lighter. Scorpion is a warehouse lighter.

Beam compare later. As per typical Stream Light with C4 I expect the Scorpion to eat the G2x Pro's lunch on throw. But spill remains to be seen.

The ten tap thing on program 3 is low/hi.
Now with the G2x you have a second or two to change from low to high.
The Scorpion, you'd better hurry up or you get lo/lo.
User choice...so I say tie.

The nitrolon body on the G2x is user friendly and not a heat/cold conduit. But slippery when wet.
The rubberized Scorpion is great for cold weather carry and grippy even wet.
Scorpion wins the EDC thing for that.

If you holster, nitrolon aint sticky like the rubberized.

Scorpion is about 1/4" longer. Head is larger in diameter.
Both have orange peel.

Scorpion tailstands. G2x does not.

Metal head and glass lens for the Scorpion. Removable.
Plastic stuck on head with plastic lens on the G2x.
Buyers choice.

Battery life on high, tie as neither like those computer cells.
But on primaries the G2x wins the long run. Scorpion runs out of steam after about 45 minutes and fades to black not long after.
G2x gives an hour or so with a while of draw down. So figure about 2 hours all told.
Those are stated by graphs, not my findings.

The G2x gives the option to easily swap out tail caps. The Scorpion body is metal, but has a thick rubber sleeve that hides the button. Without fully removing the sleeve I don't know if switch is easily servicable. But if your thumb wears a hole over the end, so much for water tight, and you'll need a whole new sleeve.
Winner G2x.

For me, there's no regret with buying a Scorpion. But I won't have multiples. I have 4 G2x Pro's.

All in all for a first light I'd probably have bought a Scorpion. But experience has shown me I'd probably go with a G2x Pro.
Yet that's just me.
Others may prefer ten tap programming, the rubberized body cover, a glass lens and a blinding 600 lumens.
Those are the reasons I'd go with the Sure Fire. Because the G2x does not...But I do like the rubberized hand hold area...just not the non easily serviceable tail cap.

But it's a Stream Light. If anything fails, they'll fix it no questions asked.
Same with Sure Fire.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ok:
Some beam shots;
First the tree two doors down or say 100'+

^^ with no light on

^^ the Stream Light Scorpion

^^ the G2x Pro

Now for the long throw pic

^^ 500+/- feet away is an unseen van

^^ the Scorpion

^^ the G2x Pro

These are certainly good at beaming light a good long ways outdoors.

I'll do an open field pics next....