New Brinkmann Flashlight at Wally World?

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I apologize if this has already been brought up here in the past, I could not find anything about this new flashlight by searching? I may not be using the correct words to search it by, but if it already hasn't been brought up, here it goes.
I was at Wally World and I saw a Brinkmann flashlight that ran off of 2 D cells and came with a red and blue filter for about $20.00. The cool thing about this flashlight is that it uses 4 LED's. I wonder what type of modification possibilities this flashlight has? With 4 LED's running off of 3 volts from 2 D cells, I doubt it can be that bright.... I wonder if its possible to drop in some Nichias and use 3XCR123 cells to crank up the voltage? Anyone have any information regarding this light?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is definately NOT worth the $20.
I grabbed it on impulse thinking I could/would use the red & blue filters on my SNII or other lights but they're too big. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
The beam is dim even on the 4 LED's and worse yet, there are magnifying lenses over each LED. All this does is magnify the electronics inside the LED so you see the leads in the beam pattern. YUCK!

Skip it and buy either a Brinkmann LX or even a M@G instead to soothe your impulses! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darkcobra

Enlightened
Wow, that good huh....
The filters caught my eye more than anything.
Thanks for the info!
If you can see leads, I'm assuming dropping in new LED's won't be that simple....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have the "new" Brinkmann Rebel 2 right here if you're interested.
Mine did not come with color filters; these must have been added to the package after it was already out.

(Edit, a few minutes later)
I updated the Rebel 2 page to mention the filters.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a little dissapointed with the output as well. So I took a 3x123 to 2/D holder - I took two slightly used 123's and a wad of aluminum foil. The foil went between the two batteries (My hope was slightly week batteries and some resistance fromt he foil would keep the LEDs from blowing up, while giving me a brighter light.

Well it works. The light is about 2X as bright as it was. I've only used it like this for a limited amount of time. I don't know if this is to much for the nichias (if they are real nichias). But it is much better now. I use it like this to make me happy with its output. If I needed to use it in any extended runtime application I would switch over to the 2/D cells again.

Maybe someone smarter than I can comment on how dangerous to the LEDs this is.

--Tim

JJHitt

Enlightened
Has anyone noticed that all of the Brinkman lights are next to impossible to disassemble? LongLife, Rebel, Rebel II... every last one of them uses a snap/lock assembly that does led itself to opening up and modifying.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Actually the Rebel is easy to disassemble. Take off the rubber ring around the head...remove the little yellow sticker covers...press the tabs in and the head pops off. Desolder the connections on the module and the reflector comes out with the circuit board and led.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be possible to keep two of the nichia in there for "low beam", and replace two of the nichias with 1w's for "higher beam"?

JJHitt

Enlightened
The Rebel would be the one light I don't own. I've often toyed with the idea of putting a colored LED in the LongLife, but prospect of destroying the case in the process has given me cold feet.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I want to do what kartracer31 did. Thanks for the info!
Throw in 3-123's to see how much brighter the light can be.
Now its just a matter of long these LED's will last being overdriven?

tvman

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of $20 4 LED Brinkmans at Wally World only because I have an abundance of AA's and I planned to put some 3AA-D in it and see the results. It is only useful if you bump it up to 9v. I have not decided yet whether to return it or keep it. The brightness did double but the construction of the light is much less than desirable.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Darkcobra said:
I want to do what kartracer31 did. Thanks for the info!
Throw in 3-123's to see how much brighter the light can be.
Now its just a matter of long these LED's will last being overdriven?

[/ QUOTE ]

Darkcobra - I only used two 123's and a wad of aluminum foil the size of the 3rd 123. I didn't have the guts to run it with 3x123. I'd be careful if I were you doing that. If it works let me know.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tvman said:
I bought one of $20 4 LED Brinkmans at Wally World only because I have an abundance of AA's and I planned to put some 3AA-D in it and see the results. It is only useful if you bump it up to 9v. I have not decided yet whether to return it or keep it. The brightness did double but the construction of the light is much less than desirable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so you're actually running it at 9V!!! That's three times the factory voltage! I know the 3/D holders have a lot of resistance, but I didn't think the little nichias could take all that voltage. How long have you run it for like that, and how new were the batteries? I assume they were alky and not rechargeables.

tvman

Newly Enlightened
KR31,

I don't have much guts - I only ran it for more than a few minutes. I was using some 2004/2005 maxell alky AAs. I saw no improvement when switching modes from the 2 to 4 led.

I bought one last year and returned it and being a newbie, I had my co-worker, CPF IceBreak, look at the 3 and 9v for comparison.

Since the housing was cheap plastic and it had been just over 30 days, I returned it back to Wally World yesterday. As far as Wally World, I might take a look at the Brinkman Legend LX 2-3v123 or wait and see if they start carrying the Dorcy 8 led 2C or Dorcy 4 led 2AA for really good prices.

Latest posts