In need of a new 2XAA Light for Work...???

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,.. it's been quite a while since I've been on here,.. but I am in need of a new 2XAA light for work... Here are my Needs/Wants :)

1 - BRIGHT!! w/ good throw & Light spill
2 - 2XAA Batteries as we have plenty of supply on hand.
3 - I Don't need a lot of modes,... High/Med/Low would suffice
4 - Price Range is around 50.00 +/- a bit ...

I've started looking around as see lights such as the Fenix E25UE and the Maratac AAX2 Rev 3,... both claim 500+ LM which has my attention,... but I don't know how realistic those numbers are..???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (PS - I did some searching ,... but most threads I found were over 2 years old.... )

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Jida

Newly Enlightened
Is there a reason why you want 2xAA? Overall length? Weight? Something else?

You may want to look into the LD40 which is a 4xAA and a bit larger than most 2xAA lights but has a lot of options with a super easy interface. I have used this model now for a while (both the base and upgraded version) and it is my goto for just about everything I do.

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Hey Jida,.. Yeah the 2xAA is really the perfect size for me,.. I wear carpenter jeans that have the perfect pocket for the 2xAA lights,... those are not too heavy and small enough to not be cumbersome,.. at the same time I find them a perfect fit for my hand.

I forgot to mention that I am currently using a TeraLUX LightStar 220 with out any complaints,.. but I think having something with some more power and maybe a bit lighter would be "Perfect".. ???

marsalla

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix E25UE seems to be a good option based on what you said but the E25UE will only do 350l with regular aa batteries. This light is really designed to "shine" on 14500 batteries. If you could use single AA lights your options would be much more.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
.............If you could use single AA lights your options would be much more.
I think manufacturers only offer one or two models in 2xAA form factor any more. 2xAA was the standard back in the days of the mini MagLite and incadescent bulbs. There just isn't as many options in 2xAA LED lights as manufacturers focus on lithium ion, single cell (and even 4xAA lights so as to make the output comparable to the 18650 and reach the capability of the XM-L2).

I think the other reason might be the proximity of voltage of a 2xAA batteries in series vs the forward voltage drop of the LED. When batteries are new, the Vfwd is pretty much the same as 2 alkaline batteries. It presents a different challenge to the driver circuit rather than just having a buck or boost configuration. At least that is my take on it whether that is really the truth or not :). Or perhaps the 2xAA doesn't have the demand anymore........just not sure what the exact reason is for less availability.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I know you said 2 x AA but none are bright nor throw far. I would strongly recommend a 4 or 6 x AA unless too bulky. Some of them are really bright. Fenix TK41 fits your throw and brightness at about the size of a 2 x D Maglite.

Better yet..forget the free AA batteries entirely. Buy a Zebralight 1 x 18660 or a 100 others you have to choose from. The Zebralight is smaller and lighter than the Fenix 2 x AA and packs close to a thousand lumens. It is above budget and you will need a battery and charger but since it is rechargeable you won't have to replace it for years. Sc600 is a little bigger and throws a little further. Sc62 is very small, light, and scary bright.

If there were a 2 X AA alkaline flashlight that met your criteria I'd throw away all my flashlights and buy 3 of them even at more than your budget price.

Last edited:

uofaengr

Enlightened
I'd say the Thrunite Archer 2A V2 in neutral white for 29.95. At that price it's a steal. I've found it does get a legit 470 lumens after 30 sec which coincides with Selfbuilt's testing. It has better throw than the cool white version due to the different emitter and plenty of spill. Not a bad looking light either. If you end up ruining it with those alkalines then hey it was only 30 bucks.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
If you are indeed dead set on 2xAA, -- which is a preference I can relate to -- I'd favor the Fenix E25UE you were looking at, and maybe the new E20. Also, take a look at Foursevens Quark Click QK2A. There are a number of Eagletac lights in 2xAA format (D25A2, for example) that I'd consider as well. As others have said, this is not the brightest or throwiest form factor, but perhaps one of the suggestions above will be adequate to your needs.

Also keep in mind that if you need high output for a relatively long run time using alkalines, you will burn through batteries rapidly. But perhaps that's not a concern if they are 'free' from your work :)

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
agree with the above. The coming Fenix E25UE looks incredible and it is the size and shape of a mini Mag. Use 2xAA for 320 max lumens or get 2x14500 for 1000 either way you get a very compact easy to carry XP-L light.

Treeguy

Enlightened
Hey guys,.. it's been quite a while since I've been on here,.. but I am in need of a new 2XAA light for work... Here are my Needs/Wants :)

What kind of work are you doing?

Will the light get banged up? Will it be subject to water or a lot of dirt?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the Thrunite Archer 2A V2 in neutral white for 29.95. At that price it's a steal.

You beat me to it. When I see recommendations for a 2xAA, I can't go past the archer.

It is a shame that manufacturers are not developing the format more. It is still my preference as it is slender enough for pockets and doesn't go horizontal in pockets like single AA. In the hand, it is a good length generally.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Armytek Prime A2. 500 lumens max, good mode selections, tough as nails. Choice of cool or warm white (I like warm white). It's around the $50-$60 range, IIRC. Only downside is it has a crappy pocket clip, but perhaps the pro version (for a few bucks more) has a better one (it also comes with a removable magnetic tailcap).

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the 47s Quark Click QK2A or QK2A-X. Get a spare 1AA tube for those times you'd like a smaller light, and have it custom programmed for the modes and sequence you want. It's a bit more expensive, but you getting a true US warranty and customer service.

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all of the replies and great suggestions!!!!

Work: I am a Facility manager so I'll looking around in different mechanical rooms with high ceilings and other hard to reach (And see) places where a decent little light comes in VERY handy :) ..

Format: Yes the reason for mostly wanting to stick with the 2XAA is that we have cases of AA Batteries supplied to us and I may be able to even talk them into having some Eneloop's on hand as well just for our Lights. Another reason for the 2xAA format is the cost factor,.. if it gets damaged or lost or something it wouldn't be a disaster like say if I had a nice 100.00 light with some AW 18650's in it (I Have lots of those lights at home btw,... I just haven't updated my sig in a LONG time .. ;) )

So looking at some of the suggestions posted here, I think I have it narrowed down to like 5'ish in no particular order.. ..:

Archer
Quark
Fenix
Maglite
Maratac

Right now the Archer is looking pretty good for 30 bucks! :)

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, it sounds like you are well versed with technology. You should be able to find something in 2xAA that works well for you. I didn't mean to diss 2xAA too much. After all I have an older iTP SA2 that I like and is my glove box light in my car.

AB8XL

Enlightened
Don't forget about the Eagletac D25A2, it's another great light to consider and better yet it's available with a neutral tint LED with a choice of a Nichia 219B or Cree XM-L2 T6.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Reppans has reported a problem with his Archer 2A but the Selfbuilt review seems very good. The one thing is he reports output with 2 x eneloop. Does anybody know output with 2 x alkaline or 2 x li primary? Basically giving up superior customer service for low price and sometimes that works out great. If light breaks during warranty period you have to send it to China and I wouldn't want to bother at that price point. Even the Fenix doesn't seem to come near the output of Archer 2A on primaries but with alkaline batteries it is anybody's guess. I need to read about the 4sevens and the eagtac. I like the 4sevens ui but they have never tried for outstanding output. Best customer service short of surefire though. I've always like Eagtac but it sounds like if you get a "good" Archer it would be tough to beat.