Thrunite Archer 2A V2 side switch

Legend_8

Newly Enlightened
Just bought this light a few days ago so I would have something for work while my Olight ST25 baton away on warranty claim.

Right out of the box I have an issue with what seems to be noise in the side switch. It makes the driver switch modes erratically and usually doesn't let the light stay in moon mode. The higher brightness levels stay put. Just a supposition but it seems to me that the more current the driver is pushing the less contact noise in the switch will affect it. There is always the possibility the driver itself is faulty but in my experience faulty contacts are at least 9 times out of 10 the cause.

I'm not sending the light in on warranty because I can't go without a decently bright light on the job. Aside from the switch I do like the light more than the Olight. Feel of the tail switch, beam profile, led tint etc.

I could send it in once the Olight comes back but with it only being $33 I figure why bother. I feel like I'd get more value out of the accomplishment of disassembling the light and repairing/replacing the micro switch myself.

So I'm wondering, have any of the forum members done this before?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sound like you're having a round of bad luck... interestingly, all my flashlight "issues" in my collection also happen to be centered around electronic switch lights (ZL, TN, AT).

I'd personally take advantage of the 30-day dealer/store dissatisfied return period and get a new unit. TN is now generously offering a 2-yr replacement guarantee, but it sounds like you have to mail back to China after 30 days.

Legend_8

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input. I'm sure the ST25 will be back before the 30 days so I may still consider that. Its just that if this Thrunite light is as good as I think it is aside from the switch, then I like the idea of this potentially being the only one to have a "higher quality" switch installed.

What brand does the acronym 'AT' refer to?

Thanks again.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
ArmyTek. Perhaps check out Vihn's sub-forum. He is a popular modder.

Legend_8

Newly Enlightened
Ah yes of course. The company who no longer carries a fully programmable option even as a special edition version...

So this Vihn person makes their own LED drivers among other things? That's awesome. Also probably also soldered a few micro switches I imagine. I will read up on some more of their material.

Thanks

wytstang

Newly Enlightened
Aside from the switch I do like the light more than the Olight. Feel of the tail switch, beam profile, led tint etc.
That is good to know as I'm looking at both these lights and a Fenix e25 to leave in my truck. My interior dome light does not have a manual switch so it (flashlight) must stay in the cab 24/7, if the heat were to kill a battery and wipe out the light the Archer being the cheaper option is a easier pill to swallow if killed. Still so much reading up to do, so little time.

Legend_8

Newly Enlightened
That is good to know as I'm looking at both these lights and a Fenix e25 to leave in my truck. My interior dome light does not have a manual switch so it (flashlight) must stay in the cab 24/7, if the heat were to kill a battery and wipe out the light the Archer being the cheaper option is a easier pill to swallow if killed. Still so much reading up to do, so little time.

I just caved in and decided to return the light to Amazon. I just learned that they don't need to receive it until Nov 6th in order for the claim to still be OK. I'll just keep using the light until the Olight comes back.

I will reiterate being impressed with the light in sight of its fault. After using the light for close to a week now at work I don't know if I'll be able to go back to the cooler tint of the Olight. The difference is not subtle and its just a much better feeling seeing the color of objects not washed out. Probably will end up ordering another one and keeping the Olight as back up.

Althought if the Fenix ld22 had a proper moonlight mode and warm tint there would be no question that would be the AA light I'd get.

wytstang

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your feedback I went ahead a picked up the Archer (moonlight mode won me over) and some Eneloops to keep in my truck. I also picked up Fenix pd35 tac for $62 shipped, the Fenix online store has a discount code for $10 off anything over $50 for signing up to their news letter.

Legend_8

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your feedback I went ahead a picked up the Archer (moonlight mode won me over) and some Eneloops to keep in my truck. I also picked up Fenix pd35 tac for $62 shipped, the Fenix online store has a discount code for $10 off anything over $50 for signing up to their news letter.

That's awesome...I've been looking into getting that for a good mid size 18650 light. Please let me know what you think of it.

Also, did you choose the neutral white tint for the Archer?

wytstang

Newly Enlightened
I went with the NW however I have an email telling me I've been refunded
Thrunite said:
Sorry to tell you that we had just sold the Archer 2A NW out.
and we will stop producing this kind of flashlight for several month.

So, we have to get you refund, please check your paypal account.
Looks like the Olight or another Fenix is in the works for me. I will let you know how I like the PD35 light, if I have it by Friday and I'm not working Friday night/Saturday morning I will be able to see what this bad boy can do at 4 a.m on my hunting club (creepy dark out there).