Wuben        
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

Wink2 Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

Hello all,

Sorry to revive this old thread but I do have a question regarding the HiveLD-S Driver. I only just recently got my light, and after doing some programming I decided to do some run time tests. One thing that I noticed during my first test on default output 2 is that the light automatically steps down to low after roughly 6 hours, and then proceeds to run for another 3 hours on low. Is this related to the voltage foldback setting #4? I am running Li-ion batteries and changed the Voltage foldback to Li-ion optimal before running my test. I assume that this is what is causing the light to step down, but I'm kind of a noob, so not sure. Also, is there any way to prevent the light from stepping down, provided that the thermal threshold isn't exceeded, and just allow it to run down until the battery is drained?

Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

The voltage levels that the driver will step down the output at is set through the voltage foldback setting indeed. If you look at the voltage values in the manual, the setting Li-Ion optimal has the highest voltage level that is meant to give you a safe operation using Li-Ion batteries. It steps down the output rather early.
    You can't turn off the stepping down entirely, you can however use the setting with the lowest voltage level (2x NiMH) if you desire. This will be close to no foldback at all using Li-Ion.
    One final thought: Usually Li-Ion optimal should not step down that early. If it does, it could mean that your cell is not the freshest anymore and can't provide the necessary current long enough.

@Rush, I have a question about loading a preset. I read the manual twice but could not find any information about changing the preset without having to go in Setup mode, is this possible? For example my ideal configuration would be to have Preset 1 with LL-L-M-H and Preset 2 with High only for tactical purposes. Is there a way to switch between two presets without going into Setup? TIA

Hi Sebis,
    Loading presets requires that you enter setup, there is no shortcut. However with some practice, going into setup mode is rather quick and loading a preset only means a couple steps to go through.

It is true that the low output relies on PWM below 12mA (which equals brightness level 3 of 21), while all higher brightness levels are constant current. Brightness levels 4 and 5 can show some instability (flicker), that can be noticed when you don't move the light. For those looking for very low moonlight output or non-PWM output at low levels understandably this is not satisfying but it is something that i could not overcome with the current driver hardware, but i am looking for improvements for the next revision of the HiveLD-S.

Hi Rush.
    The above paragraph was taken from a response you posted in March 2016 (on another thread).
    Is there any chance that you've been able to make such adjustments?
    I understand that particular compromises need be made and so on but for me the above issue has been my main one with the Hive.
    If this were fixed, it'd be excellent, I'd be looking to start saving for a Hive powered Mahi.

Cheers
    Last edited by F89; 08-11-2019 at 01:03 AM.

^ I have the same question. The elimination of PWM, or an increase in frequency sufficient to make it invisible to the eye, would get me to order a HIVE mule head immediately. As it is, my HIVE Haiku doesn't spend as much time in my pocket as I'd like because the lowest levels are essentially unusable.

Hi Everybody,

I hear your desire to have low levels without noticeable PWM, on my agenda it is one of the top items as well.
    Currently i am working on a driver revision and will make some changes that should improve the PWM visibility or rather eliminate the need to use PWM at all for the low levels. But i will have to wait until i have prototypes in my hands to make some tests and see how successful those changes prove to be.

Hey rush, HIVE is awesome and since Don discontinued 3S engine, upgrade of current version would be apreciated a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by elzilcho View Post
    ^ I have the same question. The elimination of PWM, or an increase in frequency sufficient to make it invisible to the eye, would get me to order a HIVE mule head immediately. As it is, my HIVE Haiku doesn't spend as much time in my pocket as I'd like because the lowest levels are essentially unusable.
    This pretty well sums up my thoughts.
    Even when programming the low to be around 3S level I found it problematic, as while I lost the unacceptable visible PWM there was still some kind of occasional "flicker" or "pulse" or whatever you want to call it which basically looked like a very quick off/on cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    Hey rush, HIVE is awesome and since Don discontinued 3S engine, upgrade of current version would be apreciated a lot.
    The Hive certainly has some great features and has some key features not offered by anything else (multi voltage and selectable foldback to name a couple).
    I recently bought a new LE from Don (3S) a day or so before they were declared retired. I'd really love to own a Hive again but in its current form I prefer the 3S or AA.
    When (if?) Rush manages to sort out a usable low end on this driver (no crazy visible PWM on the low lows or blips on the low) it'll be an amazing thing. The Hive has so much going for it, surely Rush can sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Hi Everybody,

I hear your desire to have low levels without noticeable PWM, on my agenda it is one of the top items as well.
    Currently i am working on a driver revision and will make some changes that should improve the PWM visibility or rather eliminate the need to use PWM at all for the low levels. But i will have to wait until i have prototypes in my hands to make some tests and see how successful those changes prove to be.
    This is great news, thank you for addressing these issues and working towards an improved revision. I'll be straight in again as I was when the Hive was released to give it a go. All going well I'll likely purchase a few revised LE's.
    Keep up the good work and thanks for letting us in on what you're up to, thought it was about time to give you a nudge and you haven't disappointed.

Hi Rush,

Your inbox is full.

Thanks mate.

Rush, any info about updated driver?

Hi Everybody,

I plan to build a first prototype in the next weeks, then i will know if the design works or if changes are necessary.
    So there is progress and i will give updates once i was able to do tests.

Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Hi Everybody,

I plan to build a first prototype in the next weeks, then i will know if the design works or if changes are necessary.
    So there is progress and i will give updates once i was able to do tests.
    Good stuff, thanks.

I have not had this driver yet and am considering purchasing it in the future. I wonder what people mean by flickering at low levels? I just came across situations where people say that everything is fine and the PWM is not visible, but I see it, and some say that there is a terrible flicker, but I donít see it. Everyone has a different perception and different levels of acceptability of something in their brain. Can someone shoot this flicker in a video? I have the head of the SF E2L or something from a weapon light, at a low level I see some flicker, but it does not annoy me. Is the flickering of this driver Rush more pronounced?

Had a Chance to play with a hive converter and was worried it would be too complicated to program. A lot of information to take in.

After reading this thread , I got a better sense plus the manual with the flowcharts was very well thought out.

But after playing with it for a few hours, I actually began to enjoy it. The way you could program so many aspects of the lights makes it a wonderful driver to own.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678