Malkoff        
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 211 to 240 of 240

Thread: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

  1. #211

    Wink2 Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Hello all,

    Sorry to revive this old thread but I do have a question regarding the HiveLD-S Driver. I only just recently got my light, and after doing some programming I decided to do some run time tests. One thing that I noticed during my first test on default output 2 is that the light automatically steps down to low after roughly 6 hours, and then proceeds to run for another 3 hours on low. Is this related to the voltage foldback setting #4? I am running Li-ion batteries and changed the Voltage foldback to Li-ion optimal before running my test. I assume that this is what is causing the light to step down, but I'm kind of a noob, so not sure. Also, is there any way to prevent the light from stepping down, provided that the thermal threshold isn't exceeded, and just allow it to run down until the battery is drained?

  2. #212
    Flashaholic rush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    The voltage levels that the driver will step down the output at is set through the voltage foldback setting indeed. If you look at the voltage values in the manual, the setting Li-Ion optimal has the highest voltage level that is meant to give you a safe operation using Li-Ion batteries. It steps down the output rather early.
    You can't turn off the stepping down entirely, you can however use the setting with the lowest voltage level (2x NiMH) if you desire. This will be close to no foldback at all using Li-Ion.
    One final thought: Usually Li-Ion optimal should not step down that early. If it does, it could mean that your cell is not the freshest anymore and can't provide the necessary current long enough.

  3. #213

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    @Rush, I have a question about loading a preset. I read the manual twice but could not find any information about changing the preset without having to go in Setup mode, is this possible? For example my ideal configuration would be to have Preset 1 with LL-L-M-H and Preset 2 with High only for tactical purposes. Is there a way to switch between two presets without going into Setup? TIA

  4. #214
    Flashaholic rush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Hi Sebis,
    Loading presets requires that you enter setup, there is no shortcut. However with some practice, going into setup mode is rather quick and loading a preset only means a couple steps to go through.

  5. #215

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    It is true that the low output relies on PWM below 12mA (which equals brightness level 3 of 21), while all higher brightness levels are constant current. Brightness levels 4 and 5 can show some instability (flicker), that can be noticed when you don't move the light. For those looking for very low moonlight output or non-PWM output at low levels understandably this is not satisfying but it is something that i could not overcome with the current driver hardware, but i am looking for improvements for the next revision of the HiveLD-S.

    Hi Rush.
    The above paragraph was taken from a response you posted in March 2016 (on another thread).
    Is there any chance that you've been able to make such adjustments?
    I understand that particular compromises need be made and so on but for me the above issue has been my main one with the Hive.
    If this were fixed, it'd be excellent, I'd be looking to start saving for a Hive powered Mahi.

    Cheers
    Last edited by F89; 08-11-2019 at 01:03 AM.

  6. #216

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    ^ I have the same question. The elimination of PWM, or an increase in frequency sufficient to make it invisible to the eye, would get me to order a HIVE mule head immediately. As it is, my HIVE Haiku doesn't spend as much time in my pocket as I'd like because the lowest levels are essentially unusable.

  7. #217
    Flashaholic rush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Hi Everybody,

    I hear your desire to have low levels without noticeable PWM, on my agenda it is one of the top items as well.
    Currently i am working on a driver revision and will make some changes that should improve the PWM visibility or rather eliminate the need to use PWM at all for the low levels. But i will have to wait until i have prototypes in my hands to make some tests and see how successful those changes prove to be.

  8. #218

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Hey rush, HIVE is awesome and since Don discontinued 3S engine, upgrade of current version would be apreciated a lot.

  9. #219

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Quote Originally Posted by elzilcho View Post
    ^ I have the same question. The elimination of PWM, or an increase in frequency sufficient to make it invisible to the eye, would get me to order a HIVE mule head immediately. As it is, my HIVE Haiku doesn't spend as much time in my pocket as I'd like because the lowest levels are essentially unusable.
    This pretty well sums up my thoughts.
    Even when programming the low to be around 3S level I found it problematic, as while I lost the unacceptable visible PWM there was still some kind of occasional "flicker" or "pulse" or whatever you want to call it which basically looked like a very quick off/on cycle.

  10. #220

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    Hey rush, HIVE is awesome and since Don discontinued 3S engine, upgrade of current version would be apreciated a lot.
    The Hive certainly has some great features and has some key features not offered by anything else (multi voltage and selectable foldback to name a couple).
    I recently bought a new LE from Don (3S) a day or so before they were declared retired. I'd really love to own a Hive again but in its current form I prefer the 3S or AA.
    When (if?) Rush manages to sort out a usable low end on this driver (no crazy visible PWM on the low lows or blips on the low) it'll be an amazing thing. The Hive has so much going for it, surely Rush can sort it out.

  11. #221

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Hi Everybody,

    I hear your desire to have low levels without noticeable PWM, on my agenda it is one of the top items as well.
    Currently i am working on a driver revision and will make some changes that should improve the PWM visibility or rather eliminate the need to use PWM at all for the low levels. But i will have to wait until i have prototypes in my hands to make some tests and see how successful those changes prove to be.
    This is great news, thank you for addressing these issues and working towards an improved revision. I'll be straight in again as I was when the Hive was released to give it a go. All going well I'll likely purchase a few revised LE's.
    Keep up the good work and thanks for letting us in on what you're up to, thought it was about time to give you a nudge and you haven't disappointed.

  12. #222

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Hi Rush,

    Your inbox is full.

    Thanks mate.

  13. #223

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Rush, any info about updated driver?

  14. #224
    Flashaholic rush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Hi Everybody,

    I plan to build a first prototype in the next weeks, then i will know if the design works or if changes are necessary.
    So there is progress and i will give updates once i was able to do tests.

  15. #225

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Hi Everybody,

    I plan to build a first prototype in the next weeks, then i will know if the design works or if changes are necessary.
    So there is progress and i will give updates once i was able to do tests.
    Good stuff, thanks.

  16. #226

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    I have not had this driver yet and am considering purchasing it in the future. I wonder what people mean by flickering at low levels? I just came across situations where people say that everything is fine and the PWM is not visible, but I see it, and some say that there is a terrible flicker, but I donít see it. Everyone has a different perception and different levels of acceptability of something in their brain. Can someone shoot this flicker in a video? I have the head of the SF E2L or something from a weapon light, at a low level I see some flicker, but it does not annoy me. Is the flickering of this driver Rush more pronounced?


  17. #227
    Rstype's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Masachussetts
    Posts
    1,260

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Had a Chance to play with a hive converter and was worried it would be too complicated to program. A lot of information to take in.

    After reading this thread , I got a better sense plus the manual with the flowcharts was very well thought out.

    But after playing with it for a few hours, I actually began to enjoy it. The way you could program so many aspects of the lights makes it a wonderful driver to own.

  18. #228

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Does the default setup come with three levels like the 3s?

  19. #229

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Hi all, quick question as i'm trying to understand info on the Rush before I order a light from Don. I will only be using primaries and have no desire to tinker with settings so the 4 default modes will be it. Using the 1x123 and XML-2 LED on high am I right to say that after the battery voltage drops to a level not maintained for high, the light will step down to the next level? And so on after that? until it shuts off?

    Lastly, has anyone gotten any runtimes with an XML-2 or XPG using primaries on high before it steps down?

    Thanks,
    Vin

  20. #230

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Quote Originally Posted by climbinglife_ View Post
    Hi all, quick question as i'm trying to understand info on the Rush before I order a light from Don. I will only be using primaries and have no desire to tinker with settings so the 4 default modes will be it. Using the 1x123 and XML-2 LED on high am I right to say that after the battery voltage drops to a level not maintained for high, the light will step down to the next level? And so on after that? until it shuts off?

    Lastly, has anyone gotten any runtimes with an XML-2 or XPG using primaries on high before it steps down?

    Thanks,
    Vin
    Hi Vin,

    I won't go into too much detail (it's all in the forum if you look over it) but seeing as though no one else has posted I'll go ahead.
    The Hive won't output the full default 1A on CR123, from memory it'll be about 900mA?
    The default foldback is set for one of the liion settings (there's a couple for liion, another for AA and CR123 etc). I've played with them all using CR123, AA X2 and CR123 but can't remember the details. As mentioned, there's heaps of info in this thread.
    I'd recommend ordering the light with the jumper soldered (if you can't do so yourself) so you have the option to adjust the firmware as required. It's well worth it and not so daunting.
    Don's lights are excellent.

  21. #231

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Thanks so much for clarifying output for the Hive. I was actually able to order a Haiku from Don based on what I wanted so it all worked out
    Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    Hi Vin,

    I won't go into too much detail (it's all in the forum if you look over it) but seeing as though no one else has posted I'll go ahead.
    The Hive won't output the full default 1A on CR123, from memory it'll be about 900mA?
    The default foldback is set for one of the liion settings (there's a couple for liion, another for AA and CR123 etc). I've played with them all using CR123, AA X2 and CR123 but can't remember the details. As mentioned, there's heaps of info in this thread.
    I'd recommend ordering the light with the jumper soldered (if you can't do so yourself) so you have the option to adjust the firmware as required. It's well worth it and not so daunting.
    Don's lights are excellent.

  22. #232

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Been using my Hive powered Sundrop almost every day for over two years now. I have it with the 2AA tube for runtime and ease of handling. Very happy. Just one comment, I now have a battery analysing charger and see that I am only using around 600mAh of a 2450mAh battery pair. Could this be the driver not liking the Eneloop Pro batteries? Not that it's a big deal but I did not realise I was only using a bit of the possible battery capacity. Is it better to use Lithium primaries instead? Or maybe alkaline? Thanks for any thoughts.

  23. #233

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Did you set correct LVP in settings?


    Sent from Tapatalk

  24. #234

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    Did you set correct LVP in settings?


    Sent from Tapatalk
    Hi.no not touched anything - its as supplied by Don. Ordered with 2 x AA tube.

    The light works well, just gets the flickers telling me low battery after 400mA (not 600 as I stated) used.

    If it needs adjusting, instead of 2 Eneloop Pro AA's, what 2 x batteries can I use? to get more runtime? NiZn maybe?

  25. #235
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,411

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Have you enabled programming, or no ? If not, the default settings might not be optimized for AA.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  26. #236

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    You need to enable customisation by soldering the jumper or bridging it by other means.
    Once you select the appropriate foldback you'll find you'll get much longer runtimes.
    The batteries you're using are fine, I generally go for the ~2000mAh eneloop or Fujitsu equivalent.
    While I don't currently own a Hive I did quite a bit of fiddling with various settings including battery/foldback combinations. It'll be well worth setting it up.

  27. #237

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Minimoog View Post
    Hi.no not touched anything - its as supplied by Don. Ordered with 2 x AA tube.
    Oh brother...
    Guys are right, you need to solder the bridge on the bottom of the pill (look up for more info and pics in this thread).
    After you need to enter customization options and choose 2xalkaline/NiMh voltage foldback option.

    I think comes stock with LVP set for C123 primary battery, regardless of host.
    More info can be found here

    http://www.rushmedia.de/ee/hiveld.php


    Sent from Tapatalk

  28. #238

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Thanks for the input. Just checked and found link is not soldered. Probably my fault for not knowing but honestly did not even know about this as my other Haiku is just 3 preset levels and I thought this was the same but with 5.

  29. #239
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,411

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Well, if you liked it before ... you'll really like it now
    ... is the archimedes peak

  30. #240

    Default Re: New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Minimoog View Post
    Thanks for the input. Just checked and found link is not soldered. Probably my fault for not knowing but honestly did not even know about this as my other Haiku is just 3 preset levels and I thought this was the same but with 5.
    Your 3 level is the 3S LE. It works pretty great regardless of acceptable power source with no setting required (doesn't have the option to).
    I'm using a 3S on 2AA pak with nimh myself currently.
    It's a pretty simple task bridging the jumper and you'll get a lot more out of it (Hive) in runtime by matching battery and foldback and other ways too (many options to customise if you choose).
    Last edited by F89; 02-10-2020 at 02:17 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •