*new* Olight R20 Javelot

kj2

Flashaholic
Just noticed a new R20 from Olight.

"The R20 Javelot is a compact rechargeable led flashlight with a CREE XP-L HI that has a maximum output of 900 lumens with a beam distance of 314 meters. This model contains a high quality rechargeable 3200mAh 18650 battery. The R20 Javelot charges through a Micro-USB port on the side of the flashlight. The R20 Javelot is your perfect companion for everyday personal or occupational use. "

https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight/r20-javelot.html

16a8i91.png
2rd84gl.png

Last edited:
Really looking forward to reviews of this light! Its almost perfect for what I am looking for. A pocket sized thrower... Though it has some competition with the DX30LC2 by Eagtac. Price is nice too. And we don't have to charge it with a dedicated O-light charging port base?!?! Thats wonderful!!!

The only thing however is that I do wish it was an inch shorter... carrying basically a Nitecore MH20 with an extra inch of length on it is gonna be tough in slim fit jean pockets. (The MH20 is already pretty tight.)

Only 3 brightness levels, but with only a tail cap switch maybe that is a good thing. 10 Lumens doesn't sound too bad for the only low, but I could be very wrong :) I often use my 1 lumen setting on my MH20 and I often wish it had a 2-20 lumen setting for night time indoors. I also at times wish I had a half lumen setting as well. But I think the throw of 314m on this little monster might make it worth it! (I own nothing in the throwy flashlight world btw.)

Group buy anyone?

Last edited:

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Hmm

"The R20 Javelot can also use standard 18650 batteries (Will not support Micro-USB charging)."
"
Includes a high quality customized 3200mAh 18650 rechargeable Lithium Ion 18650 battery with a protection board."
INCLUDED ACCESSORIES:
  • Micro-USB Cable
  • User Manual
  • 2600mAh 18650 Battery (Customized)
  • Lanyard

So includes a second "customized" battery? but only 2600mah? I wonder what's customized about it.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine came in today if anyone has any questions. I haven't spent much time with it yet but I'll help if I can.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn it has a propietary battery

Yes, same battery that came in my S30R II. I think they did that so you don't have to turn the switch on to charge it, since its a mechanical tail clicky. Most of us here are probably smart enough to handle a USB-chargeable light with a mechanical switch, but the general public seems to be baffled by it.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 Kj2!
Looks nice, akin to JB a little in my eye but not in its entirety.
Side flap, hmm.
Rear clickie?

Not a side flap. Charging port is hidden under a collar that screws down out of the way. Looks very solid, and it got o-rings there to keep out water. And yes, mechanical reverse-clicky on the tail.

kj2

Flashaholic
The original R20 also has the usb port covered under a screw down o-ring sealed collar, so it isn't new on this light.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Mine came in today if anyone has any questions. I haven't spent much time with it yet but I'll help if I can.
Greetings emarkd. Questions are regarding UI and outside beamprofile. How do you switch between modes with single tail switch - is this a twisty set up like the M22/23? Also give size does the beam profile cast a well balanced beam that offers plenty of spil or is it a more concentrated beam? Many thanks in advance! Cheers,
Roland

kj2

Flashaholic
Since there is a usb port at the head, it doesn't unscrew there. Original R20 UI was half press to get Low, two times for High and three times for Strobe. Click to select.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings emarkd. Questions are regarding UI and outside beamprofile. How do you switch between modes with single tail switch - is this a twisty set up like the M22/23? Also give size does the beam profile cast a well balanced beam that offers plenty of spil or is it a more concentrated beam? Many thanks in advance! Cheers,
Roland
Not a twisty, just a standard reverse clicky mechanical tailswitch. Half-presses to change modes.

The has a dim spill, but its definitely built for throw. Lots of light in the hotspot. Not home to really check it out at the moment but I'll try to give more details later this evening.

Chaitanya

Banned
Anyone knows what the output spacing and runtimes at those outputs are? With the new olight website its a pain in the rearside to find proper details of their lights.
Also confused how can this light do 80hrs at highest settings.
9zxgk9.png

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, not sure about that switch, didnt the old r20s protrude more? Like the 3levels though, only reason I did not buy the first version.