Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you honor MLK day? I fly the Flag - few others do that in my town. While I support Dr. Kings message of nonviolence, I hope our state legislators overturn our governor's veto on concealed carry. I think that trained, qualified, citizens should be able to pack heat. Otherwise only criminals will be armed.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its pretty popaler down here since im close to atl..i dont realy do anything for the mlk day.i fly my flag every day unless its raining

JOshooter

Enlightened
Same here.

Jayflash, if you ever come visit Alaska anytime soon, be careful of who you upset. Our Legislature passed a law stating that concealed carry permits, or the classes, are not required. I have no idea why they did this.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ot off topic brite one how much day light are you haveing up there now per day?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
In this area, there are very few things that happen on this day that do not happen every other day. There is nothing special on TV (well, on non-cable channels anyway), and no parades or marches in the immediate downtown Seattle area.
The only things that denote today as different around here are that the banks are closed and the mailman does not come.

bgenlvtex

Newly Enlightened
My kids must attend school on Veterans Day but are off for MLK Day. It's a sad world we live in. I fly our national flag 24/7/365(with light at night).I support MLK Day because our nation recognizes it , and for no other reason.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all honesty, I can't say I "celebrate" many holidays, in the sense of doing anything to honor that day's theme specifically.Perhaps it's a reflection on my character, or lack thereof, but most holidays to me end up being about spending time with friends & family, bbq'ing, heading to somewhere fun, etc., rather than being about, say, presidents or independence from England.

Given the times, and maybe the fact that I'm getting older,some holidays, such as Memorial Day or Veterans day, elicit more thought and emotional response these days. MLK day is, IMO, worthy of a little thought as well. I know it's not popular among those who hate political correctness (and I count myself as hating PCness too), but I think you do yourself a disservice if your view of MLK day is merely a reaction to political correctness.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course I honor this day, it celebrates the birth of one of the finest gentlemen to ever walk the face of the earth. Someone who preferred peace, but was willing to do what was necessary to preserve his way of life in the face of tyranny. A man who was admired by friend and foe alike, and served as a physical, and spiritual leader to "his people", a person who led by example, whose conduct and character never gave cause for question.
MLK?
The name is Robert Edward Lee.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Hmmph, regardless of what one thinks of PC (and as a stereotypical republican male, I stereotypically despise it) MLK changed this country and changed it for the better, and he did so by putting own butt where his mouth was, which often landed it smack dab in the fire.

Those that reject the day as an occasion of deserved respect do so in a misdirected visceral reaction to the ridiculous racial politics and professional race industry activists of today. What MLK pursued, and IMO brought about in large part after his death, was the kind of equality of men that brings dignity to us all.

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
bgenlvtex said:
My kids must attend school on Veterans Day but are off for MLK Day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here in AZ. We actually had a choice though. We got to vote on it... twice! We got to vote whether we wanted Veteran's Day or MLK Day. Both times, we chose Veteran's Day. But ended up with MLK Day... because the politicians overruled us both times... because if they didn't, the Super Bowl wouldn't ever come to the state... figure that one out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MichiganMan said:
What MLK pursued, and IMO brought about in large part after his death, was the kind of equality of men that brings dignity to us all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hear, hear. There's civilization and there's the civilized. MLK played a significant part in moving the former towards the latter.