What's new in flashlights in the last year?

american

Enlightened
What's new? Zebralight fenix surefire malkoff peak eagletac? Other lights 100 and under.

kamote1half

Newly Enlightened
I'l seeing plenty of lights that has side switches on them, either side switch alone or tailcap and side switch.. No manufacturer is making lights that has tailcap switches nowadays, dunno why. JetBeam's PC10 and PA10 were great lights but has issues, the new M-PA10 is a lot longer and has weird design. Nitecore's MT1A's updated version has a SIDE SWITCH! GFDM! Olight's products are mostly side switch and those that has a tailcap one also has side switches! WHY!?!

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
For me the newer idea (that at first I did not like) is the side switches employed today on many lights. I almost did not buy the UltraStinger from Streamlight because it had a side switch near the head. Boy did that light change my mind. Recently resurrected that Ultra and it still kicks butt.

So now I have my first ring adjustment as in my new Nitecore SRT3 edc light. I find the size at about 4" just small enough, and I have gotten to like the ring adjustment too. Some of the new ideas are really good in practice. Reliability is really important to me, and these new ideas will prove out in time.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XM-L emitter, and its HI variant, are kinda big news right now. Lots of great small throwers out at the moment.

sonvu989

Banned
I almost did not buy UltraStinger from Streamlight because it has a switch near the top side

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the biggest advancement in flashlights this year is the CREE XPL HI emitter.

The XPL HI (Hight Intensity) comes with a very thin flat dome instead of the more traditional hemisphere shape. It essentially gives the output and throw of a dedomed emitter, while having the beautiful pure tints of a domed emitter.

An XML2 and XPL HI have nearly the same lumen output and tint, but the XPL HI will give a much more focused beam and throw nearly twice as far.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah, the XP-L HI is a big one. Eagletac, Olight, Fenix and others using it for some pretty impressive throw.

Zebralight's SC5 putting out 535lm on a single Eneloop!

Noctigon Meteor M43 came out earlier in 2015. Crazy output in a tiny 4x18650 package. Well over your $100 pricetag, but still not a bad price for what you get.

Eageltac updated their titanium lights. "2015" models D25A and D25C in XP-L HI and Nichia 219 5000K CRI-92 flavors. Supposedly an XP-L HD model, but can't find those anywhere.

markr6

Flashaholic
An XML2 and XPL HI have nearly the same lumen output and tint, but the XPL HI will give a much more focused beam and throw nearly twice as far.

Twice the lux, but only about 50% more throw. Still pretty darn good!

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twice the lux, but only about 50% more throw. Still pretty darn good!
Ah yes. But still a huge improvement compared to prior generations of LEDS. Truly a game-changer. Biggest improvement in flashlight LEDs in years.

hkjieor

Newly Enlightened
It seems very expensive. At the time, I had left mine for 68.99 euros lazerpuissant.com, excluding postage. It rose to 10 euros since. Outside the enclosure happened just exploded, the laser works great, especially with a set of batteries to lithium.

SemiMan

Banned
Ah yes. But still a huge improvement compared to prior generations of LEDS. Truly a game-changer. Biggest improvement in flashlight LEDs in years.

Except its not really an advancement from this year. Lumileds has been doing it for 2+ years.