Surefire U2 rumors???

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
From USN (www.usualsuspect.net)....and TAD....

Surefire is coming out with a new LED model named the U2. A 5watt, single Luxeon with 6 different user selectable modes of operation.

No further details...
Does sound interesting.

--dan

DBrier

Enlightened
And I just bought my L4 on Friday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
It will probably be 6 months or more before it comes out.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am convinced Surefire wants all my MONEY!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DBrier said:
It will probably be 6 months or more before it comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that 6 dog months or people months? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It sounds like it will be worth taking a look at when it comes out, but unless SF has changed their rumor vs production timetable, I'd be surprised if we see it in less than a year.

-Keith

JohnJ80

Enlightened
This would be a great light - the light power of an L4 (or more depending on drive) and selectable brightness levels.

You knew with all the talk about this that they would address it sooner or later.

J

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting! I hope the rumors are mostly right. It seems that selectable brightness levels are the way to go for the next generation of high-end LED lights.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SockMan said:
Very interesting! I hope the rumors are mostly right. It seems that selectable brightness levels are the way to go for the next generation of high-end LED lights.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm... sure seems like the manufacturers are heading that direction... makes you wonder what will come next after user-selectable brightness, urine powered flashlight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif No, wait someone already invented that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif Well, it sure is exciting seeing manufacturers putting in more 'excitement' into lights, can't wait to see what the U2 turns out to be like, so "Acthung, Baby"!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everybody rips off everybody. Arc LS - SF L1, SF A2 - SL20XPled, Arc4 - SF U2...

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the long-rumored Surefire Ultra. See this post by Klaus for a quick rundown.
[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
[ QUOTE ]
size15s said:
[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
[ QUOTE ]
E2E4ME said:
What are the big differences going to be? Selectable output levels?

[/ QUOTE ]

E2E4ME - for input on selectable multiple output level SFs with 5W LEDs do a search for SF ULTRA here on CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing! Don't you guys get that it was a wind up?!

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to quote it all together in one place and we´ll surely see sooner or later if this was a joke or not, whatever the final name of this product will be, if it ever hits the market. At least, if not, we still have PG @ ARC to the rescue for a multi-level dimmable 5W LS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote: Yes, we a aware of the need for a variable power 5 watt LED light, and that's why we have built the SureFire Ultra. The Ultra is a 2x SF123 cell flashlight with a 5 watt Luxeon Star and a 6 position hall effect power control ring. The power level is adjustable over 100:1 range, giving 5 watts at the top end and 50 mW at the bottom. Although this light is not available yet we did show prototypes at this year's SHOT show. The production light about the same size as out M3. I'm finalizing the electronics currently. ENDQUOTE

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSRP is $270, according to the post on USN. $110 more than the L4 for 6 modes you don't need anyway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

A two stage tailswitch would be better than flipping through 6 modes.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
ROFLMAO - so U2 it will be - ULTRA and 2 cells - makes sense

Now it looks like high time for some major re-spinning on the spilled FUD from certain members here on CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Quote from USN

Surefire U2, New Model for 2004

well the word from SF is that a new 5 watt LED model is being relased for 2004. its called the "U2".

this "ultra" LED model resembles the L4/L5 but has a 6 mode adjustable light output 5 watt single LED head.

MSRP is being quoted at $270.00

probably out later in 2004, i do not have any info outside of what was told to me today, but it sounds cool!

avusblue

Enlightened
The light sounds great, but at $270 they're NUTS!! I just won't be able justify that price (and I have "rationalized" some pretty frivolous flashlight purchases in my day). Shouldn't advancing technology REDUCE the cost of products over time?

Dave

Harrkev

Enlightened
I wonder what the price of the ARC5 will be. It looks like they will be head-to-head competition -- the first two foes in an entirely new breed of light.

I wonder how long it will be before Streamlight comes out with a dimmable 5W...

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't advancing technology REDUCE the cost of products over time?

[/ QUOTE ]
It should reduce the price for mainstream lights. The U2 sounds very much like its at the bleeding edge.
The ARC5 is meant to be $250, very close in price. I agree, it will be a very interesting showdown between these 2, This will be the closest to a head to head we will have seen from these 2 companies so far.
We live in interesting times indeed.