Olight S80, R40 or other?

RCLumens

Enlightened
Greetings - would love any insight on either of these lights or something comparable. Is there going to be a huge difference between the 750 vs 1100 lumens and the throw of these lights? Looking for something simple to use that can carry a well balanced beam a solid 100 yards. It would be nice to have the access to a lower mode or higher mode as needed in a similar UI and sized light.

Cheers and many thanks,
RC

kj2

Flashaholic
Have the R40 and it's a great overall light. The S80 is an older light, which is replaced by the R40 IIRC.
You'll notice the difference between 750 and 1100 lumens.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Hi kj2 -Many thanks for the input - and of course for the awesome reviews. Am hoping to contribute some beamshots to the forums soon on some XPL lights..
Cheers,
RC

RCLumens

Enlightened
Is the beam profile close to the same - looking for a rather smooth transition from flood/spill to throw. I already have
an ET G25C2 with the XPL-HI and an M2X for throw -

kj2

Flashaholic
The R40 isn't a thrower, but it isn't a flooder either. IMO it's the best of both. Use it for in- and around the house, and dogs walks.

RemcoM

Enlightened
The R40 isn't a thrower, but it isn't a flooder either. IMO it's the best of both. Use it for in- and around the house, and dogs walks.

I have the S80.....wonderfull compact light.

Wide beam.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Perfect - many thanks for the input. Am now trying to gauge if there's a big difference between the two - outside of cost as the R40 is about 2x the cost of the S80.
Am happy to spend the extra dough if it's a considerable difference.

Fatso35

Newly Enlightened
Perfect - many thanks for the input. Am now trying to gauge if there's a big difference between the two - outside of cost as the R40 is about 2x the cost of the S80.
Am happy to spend the extra dough if it's a considerable difference.

I have the S80 ,its has a wide beam,good flashlight overall.Don't know ive the 350lumen more are worth it :)

mickb

Enlightened
resurrecting an old thread but wondered if any S80 users can report on the battery runtime on High? I remember the original review showed they lost power from 750 lumens to 2/3 power in just a few minutes. Then olight tried to deny this. How did that all pan out?
I ask as I have a chance to buy a cheap S80, but not overly keen if they really only run at 450 lumens by the 10 minute mark...