"Lumen Flashlight Never Requires Any Batteries" Permanent firefly keychain light?

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
"Lumen Flashlight Never Requires Any Batteries" Permanent firefly keychain light?

I found this while browsing and I thought that it was pretty cool, I have no idea if it is just another fake kickstarter but if it works it would be a cool thing to have around.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...flashlight-that-doesnt-need-batterie/comments
I would pledge a $35 slot but I am saving up for a bigger light.
SeemsLegit.jpg

D6859

Enlightened
Re: "Lumen Flashlight Never Requires Any Batteries" Permanent firefly keychain light?

I remember seeing some thread about a boy who invented a flashlight that uses the heat conducted from your hands. This might be a legit project. The idea is great! I wonder if there will be jackets or pants that you can use to charge your mobile phone.

I'm not going to buy one though. In winter my hands may be so cold they won't turn on the light. Or the temperature out may be se cold I don't want to take of my gloves to use a flashlight.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Lumen Flashlight Never Requires Any Batteries" Permanent firefly keychain light?

Looks to be legit. I wonder how long it takes for enough juice to be produced to light it. I can see a delay when you need the light, especially when the ambient is close to body temp.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Personally I don't see how it can work well enough to bother with as from the comments I've read they are using a supercap and charging it using temperature differential perhaps a thermacouple involved and if decent amounts of energy could be had via that technology it would have already been incorporated into a device by someone who is in green energy.

djj

Newly Enlightened

Sounds pretty cool if you only need modest amounts of light and don't want to use batteries.

He says he can get 15mA @3v, which gives 3000 mCd from the 5mm led.

cogwheel

Newly Enlightened

This thing has quite a few issues.

First, the amount of energy that you can harvest is very small, TEGs are very low efficiency, and the TEG is being run at a very small thermal gradient. This light will be quite dim. The animation of the "internal parts outside the case" showing it lighting up is deceptive, since the TEG in the animation is larger than the one used, and the heatsink is much larger than the final product. Further, even if this light achieves the predicted 3cd output, that's less than 0.5 lumens assuming a 25 degree LED.

Second, since the design uses the case as a heatsink for creating the thermal gradient, you can't hold it! If you wrap your hand around it, you'll be warming the cold side (the housing) and the hot side (the fingerprint bit) to the same temperature, so no current will flow.

Third, it isn't really green. TEGs can use fun stuff like lead telluride. The embodied energy is quite significant, compared to a plastic keychain light with coin cells. A common AAA flashlight using an eneloop would be superior since the battery can be recharged and recycled, and the flashlight can be as well (assuming an aluminum one), and there's no hard to recycle TEG involved. Plus, it'll be far brighter if you need it to be.

Finally, generic Kickstarter issues: The person running the kickstarter has no electronics experience according to his Kickstarter profile. He's a engineer working on molds and tooling, so while the housing should be as expected, the guts are suspect.

Kobrag

Newly Enlightened

Cool idea, but i think it needs some more time in the oven before its ready for consumers.

D6859

Enlightened

I think it was a girl.

I stand to be corrected. I was too lazy to check the facts. Took now 10 sec to check the invertor was she.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

For $35? Simply buy a thermoelectric device plus a supercap and play with it in your flashaholic's lab.

This way, you know what's real and what's fake.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened

that's less than 0.5 lumens assuming a 25 degree LED.

Second, since the design uses the case as a heatsink for creating the thermal gradient, you can't hold it! If you wrap your hand around it, you'll be warming the cold side (the housing) and the hot side (the fingerprint bit) to the same temperature, so no current will flow.
I had thought of that, it seems like the aluminum heatsink would heat up more than the thumbpad, IE it would be better to have hold of the heatsink and have the part that needs to be cold exposed to the atmosphere. I also thought of strapping my new large heatsink to one but I think that the fan would take more energy than it generates. :nana:
20151019_151921.jpg

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lol, so what if it needs a piece of ice and your tongue to make a proper thermal differential.

What would the onlookers say? "Guys, I'm just turning on my thermoelectric supercap light."

:)