My budding case of tint snobbery just went into remission!

GearHunter

Enlightened
So...for the last year I have only been carrying /using Nichia 219B emitters in 4400-4500k one hicri one 88 cri and all has been awesome....until this morning!
A few weeks ago I saw a thread about the light that started us down this road and did we still have it. So after an hour of looking I found my old beloved fenix PD30 and took a photo for the thread and tossed it back onto my work bench. Not sure why but for this mornings two mile ruck I grabbed it, popped in a couple cells, tossed it in my pocket and off I went. About a quarter of a mile in I heard something in the brush so instead of pulling out the hicri and marveling at the fall colors I hit the switch on the cw xp-g r5 and holy crap! The world lit up with that brilliant ( yes a bit bluish) light. Oh how I've missed that piercing dagger of light! I then preceded to drain the fresh cells by shining everything I could find and my 40 min ruck turned into two hours of child like joy.
So here I am...almost feeling ashamed for wanting to disavow all I've been taught here and go back to my " pre-pubescent " " damn that's bright and that's all that matters days"!!!!

Hi, I love cool white light.

Now to to go to the HDS Systems site and order a 250 clickie and see if it's the best of both worlds....

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I like to mix things up a little, my warmest is around 4000k at a guess in my convoy m2, too warm in general for me but i like it!!! I also prefer cooler neutral- 5000k, this tends to be my go to work tint!

Overall, 5000-6000k seems to be fine for my eyes and can get accurate colour rendition(granted all eyes are different) without too exaggerated greens and reds.

So i can not see me becoming a tint snob after a few years of various flavours,just like to have a variety now rather than just cooler side..........

For a happy medium i love 5700k xp-l for flood, still great rendition for me

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
So here I am...almost feeling ashamed for wanting to disavow all I've been taught here and go back to my " pre-pubescent " " damn that's bright and that's all that matters days"!!!!

Hi, I'm Clay and I love cool white light.

Though I really like the look of a Nichia 219, I tend to favour neutral-white XML2 lights. Almost as bright as cool white (when you need it), efficient, and a good tint neutral is almost as good as a Nichia.

Now to to go to the HDS Systems site and order a 250 clickie and see if it's the best of both worlds....

In a world today where 1000 lumen lights are now only "meh", I don't think 250 lumens is going to impress any flashaholic.

GearHunter

Enlightened
WalkIntoTheLight- The PD30 is +/- 250lm... :) HDS can take a bit more abuse though, imho.

+1 and in a more carry friendly size. The HDS is my favorite light I've ever owned, now I want it in a cw flavor and I think the 250 will be more then enough to keep me happy.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
WalkIntoTheLight- The PD30 is +/- 250lm... HDS can take a bit more abuse though, i:)mho.

Heh, okay. Well, if 250 lumens impresses him, maybe he need to buy some of those 4000 lumen blinders that are available now. They might give him a heart-attack, though! ;)

GearHunter

Enlightened
Heh, okay. Well, if 250 lumens impresses him, maybe he need to buy some of those 4000 lumen blinders that are available now. They might give him a heart-attack, though! ;)

Lol they just might! 250 isn't impressive by today's standards but it's all I need. Outside of that PD30 which is 220lm I believe, I only own 2 200lm HDS. it's not the 220 lms I liked it's the tint I guess I missed. Before I owned a hicri or neutral tint Nichia I never worried about such things. Don't get me wrong the hicri stays as my indoor and BBQ light. My 200n will play bag light/ backup/work light but if the 250 cw is anything like that pd30 it will take over as my EDC.
Never owned a monster output light. Had a couple Pd 35's at 800-900lm but hated the side switch so sold them.
I'm now a huge HDS fan so I'll get another clickie and have multiple lights in multiple temps/tints so I'll be good what ever the situation.

Last edited:

GearHunter

Enlightened
I like to mix things up a little, my warmest is around 4000k at a guess in my convoy m2, too warm in general for me but i like it!!! I also prefer cooler neutral- 5000k, this tends to be my go to work tint!

Overall, 5000-6000k seems to be fine for my eyes and can get accurate colour rendition(granted all eyes are different) without too exaggerated greens and reds.

So i can not see me becoming a tint snob after a few years of various flavours,just like to have a variety now rather than just cooler side..........

For a happy medium i love 5700k xp-l for flood, still great rendition for me

That 5700 looks great! I thought about the 325 xp-l from Henry but from all I've read and beam shots I've seen I don't like want that yellow/greenish tint. I really like the beam shot of the xp-l hi SOYCD posted...maybe a 325 with a trip to Vinh...that's an xp-l hi in your sons TOOLvn correct?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as I got a "white" beam Im happy. No green or purple or florescent looking stuff.

GearHunter

Enlightened
Man this blows! I was perfectly happy with my two lights ( well I guess I was getting another anyway) and now I want more, new, different. Oh crap am I becoming a crack head....errr...I mean flashaholic????? I only want one more then I'll be fine. Really I can stop after the next one....

ven

Flashaholic
That 5700 looks great! I thought about the 325 xp-l from Henry but from all I've read and beam shots I've seen I don't like want that yellow/greenish tint. I really like the beam shot of the xp-l hi SOYCD posted...maybe a 325 with a trip to Vinh...that's an xp-l hi in your sons TOOLvn correct?

A trip to vinh makes great sense for the perfect K.

Guess i am spoiled, he picks ones that are creamy or perfect white for me as he knows i like no greens etc etc .

The x40vnTQ is pretty much perfect and my pd35vnQ is too, that has a mix of 2x 5000k and 2x 6500k xp-l's as he had no 5700k in stock at time. The colour rendition from the mini wall of light is superb,no washing out on turbo even close up.

Callums is

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just one warm tint light, a SureFire Minimus Variable headlamp, that I use for reading and getting up in the morning. When in the dark I am not concerned about a 'natural color balance'; I just want to see. :)

GearHunter

Enlightened
A trip to vinh makes great sense for the perfect K.

Guess i am spoiled, he picks ones that are creamy or perfect white for me as he knows i like no greens etc etc .

The x40vnTQ is pretty much perfect and my pd35vnQ is too, that has a mix of 2x 5000k and 2x 6500k xp-l's as he had no 5700k in stock at time. The colour rendition from the mini wall of light is superb,no washing out on turbo even close up.

Callums is

Was as planning a trip to Vinh soon anyway. Just chickened out from having him do an emitter swap on my 200N at the last min. Have a few 219b 5000k 90 cri emitters and was going to have him swap one into a new HDS....now maybe I'll rethink my emitter choice. Suddenly my mind has opened to things other then the Nichias...

GearHunter

Enlightened
I have just one warm tint light, a SureFire Minimus Variable headlamp, that I use for reading and getting up in the morning. When in the dark I am not concerned about a 'natural color balance'; I just want to see. :)

+1 a fine point

ven

Flashaholic
Was as planning a trip to Vinh soon anyway. Just chickened out from having him do an emitter swap on my 200N at the last min. Have a few 219b 5000k 90 cri emitters and was going to have him swap one into a new HDS....now maybe I'll rethink my emitter choice. Suddenly my mind has opened to things other then the Nichias...

Dont forget he has got the new 219c in, pretty amazing!!!!

ven

Flashaholic
Man this blows! I was perfectly happy with my two lights ( well I guess I was getting another anyway) and now I want more, new, different. Oh crap am I becoming a crack head....errr...I mean flashaholic????? I only want one more then I'll be fine. Really I can stop after the next one....

Key is to not rush buy as too many lights too soon imho dont get appreciated the same as ones bought with a bit of a gap.........even if its just a week or 3.

Just be picky, get the basics covered, thrower,flooder and in between. Variety of LED's and tints to keep it all fresh!!!

My fav right now are the big boys, xhp70 SD(shaved dome) give off a great cool tint(beautiful beam in the huge k60vn reflector).

You have awesome edc lights in HDS flavours, just some to cover other aspects:cool:

"Really i can stop after the next one........" nah come on GH , where is the fun in stopping :laughing:

I often say similar but then a new temptation is around the corner, be it UI, led,tint.............always around the corner.

GearHunter

Enlightened
Dont forget he has got the new 219c in, pretty amazing!!!!

I just gave him 5 to keep when I changed my mind about having the swap. I sent them along with my light....just couldn't change my 200N

Latest posts