ir range passing through windows...?

cjbeattie

Newly Enlightened
I'm a complete novice and newcomer to the world of night vision so please go easy on me if you can…

I bought a spy net night vision goggles just to start off with I thought buy cheap and then go from there, I was really pleased with them apart from the promised 50 feet was actually around 15 feet.. So after a wee bit of research I learnt its due to the power of the under powered led's on the unit.. So I bought a t20 hunting ir light. Tie rapped it to the goggles and it transformed it from 15 feet now I can see around 60 plus metres easily…

Just one question though I was told that the infra red spectrum is supposed to pass through glass / windows..(the idea i want to scan outside without letting anyone know im even looking at them) Yet when I try and look through my windows when dark to the outside I cant see anything but shine from the torch before.. I've tried holding it right up to the window and holding off a wee bit and still I get the glare…

Any ideas?

Thanks

C J B :naughty:

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Hello CJB,

Yes, reflection of your own IR light in the window will always be a problem, unless you are able to offset the source from your viewer substantially.

What you can do however is to mount some of those multi IR LED security camera light sources outside your home illuminating the surrounding area. It's quite amazing how much IR those things put out when you are viewing the illuminated area even trough an inexpensive IR viewer.

The red glow of the source lights is slightly noticeable however to someone who is paying attention, but this can be a good thing as a technically savvy bad guy will be alerted to the fact that you have above average security measures in place… and pick another softer target.

Cheers,
John C.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
ir does not go thru galss, i use flir at work, it sees thru sheetrock, plywood, but glass it can not see thru, same thing with flir for cars, it will not work behind windshield.