Questions: Streamlight Stinger LED HPL 2015 vers.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Before I pop for this light it might help to ask a few questions about the features that some of you may know about.

Can I use the same charger from my UltraStinger? The battery stick has more cells in the ultra.. But the info online say ok to use same charging unit.

Do all the new HPL versions come with the ni-mh battery stick or am I stuck with the ni-cd?

Can really cold temps, like -25-35 below zero destroy the batteries? I wanted to leave this unit in my car.

are the Chargers 'smart' or simply running continuous current regardless of the battery being fully charged?

Thanks for looking.

County

Newly Enlightened
Yep, you can use same charger as your Ultra Stinger.

All Stinger HPLs do come with NiMH. The Strion HPL comes with Li Ion.

It should be fine in your car at those cold temps. However be sure you are not charging the light when the temp is below +10F (per SL manual).

The standard included charger is not a smart charger. . just a simple trickle charger. However if you get the optional Li Ion Stinger battery (SL75176) it has a smart-circuit in the battery that shuts off the charging when the battery is detected as fully charged.

If if you find the capacity less than desirable in the extreme cold (an inherent NiMH weakness) you might like the Li Ion or even NiCd (SL75175) options better . . the NiCd isn't a huge step down in capacity. I abuse the fool out of my batteries and find NiCd a little more robust.

Last edited:

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Thanks for the great info County. As a result of our deeper cold temps here I have decided to buy a primary lithium setup for my floody thrower so that I can use the light right from a cold car. But I still want the HPL Stinger..

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight offers a Li-Ion battery stick for all Stingers, and it uses the same charger cradle as the NiMH/NiCd batteries.