SX25L3 or TN30 mini?

netwiz

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light to be used mainly when walking the dog in woodland or open fields. Most of the time it's going to be fairly close up, so I'd want more flood than throw, but sometimes if the dog runs off I'd want to be able to kick up the power and have some range. I've done a load of reading, and so far come down to these two which are in the price range. The TN36 would be a nice contender, but I can't see that I'd need the extra power.

I can't find anything that compares the floodiness of the two lights. I tend to the form factor of the Eagtac, as it's not so bulky in the hand. Does anyone have experience of these, or have any better suggestions?

thanks
Nick

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same debate I am in! I'm trying to decide if I will get either right now or wait till black friday but with the deals there are on these I'm afraid to pass either up.

ven

Flashaholic
:welcome:eek:light srmini is another option, simple UI and hold/press for turbo blasts,release and back to mode level you were on. Some dont like it, i find it pretty good ............

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I've had an sx25l3 and currently have a gx25a3. The beam is very wide and floody with the eagtac and the MTG2 emitters and it's very compact. It doesn't however come with a holster and the twisty head can get stiff to reduce from highest mode. The reliability of the pins in the head (responsible for selecting mode) is questionable as well. Mine have already got noisy in the gx so much that I just keep it in one mode now (high...obviously)

Sr mini is a good shout. My olights have always been reliable.

netwiz

Newly Enlightened
I've had an sx25l3 and currently have a gx25a3. The beam is very wide and floody with the eagtac and the MTG2 emitters and it's very compact. It doesn't however come with a holster and the twisty head can get stiff to reduce from highest mode. The reliability of the pins in the head (responsible for selecting mode) is questionable as well. Mine have already got noisy in the gx so much that I just keep it in one mode now (high...obviously)

Sr mini is a good shout. My olights have always been reliable.

Thanks for the comments (everyone) but I'm not sure here which flashlight you're referring to?

Maybe I should just say 'sod it' and and get a Niwalker minimax mm15 or a Thrunite Tn36? There's a lot of experience on this forum, so please persuade me I don't need to spend the extra money. My wife will appreciate it.

thanks
Nick

ven

Flashaholic
I have both the mm15vn and tn36vn, 5000k from the 2 MT-G2's ,very floody with reasonable reach, or the tn36(CW OR NW) for again lots of flood and a little further reach from the 3 MKR's.

Both great lights, prefer the UI a little on the tn36 with the instant moon light and turbo. Both ramp by pressing and holding the power button. Both have holsters,the mm15 a (imo)useless handle that can be attached(i leave mine off).

tn36vn(8300lm)/mm15vn(7300lm) from left

The tn36vn seems to not get as hot as quick on turbo, but bare in mind for a bright mode and longer uses then around 2000lm will be the limit on either. Turbo can be used for a few mins or so,depending on outside temp longer............

Could not pick between them tbh if i had to.......

tn36vn

I am the last one you want for persuading you out of a light :laughing:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus ven's informative post above,

I have the SX25L3, and I love it. I got it, because it has lots of lumens in its diameter class. I did the research before I bought it, and I saw that anything smaller diameter has a lot less lumens, and in order to get more lumens, larger diameter was needed.

Single MT-G2 provides for nice white beam, with a nice combination of flood and throw. Not too floody, some throw, nice output for its size.

netwiz

Newly Enlightened
Plus ven's informative post above,

I have the SX25L3, and I love it. I got it, because it has lots of lumens in its diameter class. I did the research before I bought it, and I saw that anything smaller diameter has a lot less lumens, and in order to get more lumens, larger diameter was needed.

Single MT-G2 provides for nice white beam, with a nice combination of flood and throw. Not too floody, some throw, nice output for its size.

I see in your sig that you also have or had the MM15. It would be great if you could compare that with the SX25L3.
thanks
Nick

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have the MM15, sitting about 18 inches from my right elbow.

I love the MM15; it is a classy and classic item with double the lumens of the SX25L3, and about triple the floodiness and about on-third the throwiness, in a larger diameter package. Great flooder, very little throw.

Please see: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?385451 and review the Throw/Output Summary Chart. There, you can see comparative information for these two lights.

A great place for comparitive beamshots is here: www.taschenlampen-forum.de/beamshot-vergleiche/27575-605-beamshots-lampenbildern.html

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 Eagletac sx25l3
Smaller diameter more comfy for dog walks, not pure flood so will reach out when the dog runs off but still a nice floodish walking beam.
I use a foursevens mmu x3 but it has a cool and more spotty beam although great spill area. It is much smaller though.
It is pictured in the linked review posted above next to the sx and mm15.