Looking for a light with an incredibly far throw

kingleonidasll

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, just like the title says I'm looking for a light with a very far throw. On my ranch often times I like to look for coyotes and such at night. It's a fair bit of land and really flat so pretty much the farther, the better. Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

akhyar

Enlightened
+1 on the Olight M3XS-UT Javelot.
Pls do a search for this light on the review sections here.
My second choice will be the little brother, the M2X-UT

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came here to mention what others already have. But, I will include another "budget" option. But if you own a Ranch, budget is likely of no concern. (You lucky dog) lol

I hunt predators at night on a large ranch with a Maxtoch M24 Sniper from Mtn Electronics. I have the Dedomed version. This light is great value for the price. I mounted it to a .17 HMR. I have feeders 275 yards from the road, I can ID every animal at the feeder with out any glass.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Best ever is the MaxaBeam (75W HID adjustable beam), but price had better not be a deterrent. I'm in a similar situation as I live out in the country with my land going back nearly a quarter mile, and with the beam in maximum throw mode (a genuine pencil beam), I can light them up at full range, and see their eyes reflecting the light a full mile away.

An interesting data-point, the Yotes in my area have pretty much learned to avoid my land now as when I light them up, they briefly glance in the direction of the light and then quickly duck their heads and run whereas the stupid dear will just stand and stare.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some great suggestions. I like the idea of HID for sure. It is built for strickly throwing. Which is awesome. Also, what is really cool, is that there are actually so many great options available now.

Search the forum with the aforementioned models, there are many threads with pictures of many of these throwers. You can see them in action.

Just remember you have to feed these beasts. So school yourself on the proper feed (batteries) and chargers.

Also look out, on the LED lights for Step Down timers. Some lights you may encounter will only run their High/Turbo outputs for minutes. So yeah, they may throw a beam for 2 miles, but for only 30 seconds. lol Then they step down to a lower mode. Most mentioned above won't step down.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Another suggestion much more reasonably priced and fully effective out to about the full quarter mile is the Olight SR95 UT, which is my "lightweight" back up (second to the MaxaBeam).

Third in line is my ThruNite TN32. I've had trouble with ThruNites before, but with this one, it's been "so far… so good".

Cheers,
John C.

Last edited:

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
If your looking for a very tough, reliable longer range recharging light consider the Streamlight UltraStinger and the Stinger LED HPL. Parts available all the time everywhere, police proven. Ranges include 4-500 meters.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will throw a couple in that offer good throw but also lots of spill which is useful. Also due to size, allows longer run times at higher output levels

x60vn over 500kcd
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403991-X60vn-2015-Lumen-amp-Throw

tk75vnQ over 360kcd
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?406724-TK75vnQ-Best-Searchlight

Ven's suggestions are right on point. The X60vn puts a whole lot of lumens downrange.
The TK75vnQ also but only looks like a slouch when compared side by side with the X60vn.

If you only want to light up a small target (relative to the distance) the TM36vn puts over a million lux.

I would say the X60vn for checking long distances on a ranch though.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
As already mentioned, the Maxa Beam, or the Nighthunter One in HID.

In LED, you have the stock and modified TK75 and TK75vnKT lights, the TK61 stock and Vinh modified, and the Nitecore TM36.

The TK75 stock 2900 lumen version will get you to 400-500 yards. The TK61 will go to 5-600 yards and the TM36 will get you 6-700 yards of usable light, not advertised light.

The Maxa Beam and the Nighthunter One will provide a pencil beam out over 1.5 miles, but is usable on animals over 1200 yards. Both of these HID lights can be found used at reasonable prices and can be run off of the cigarette light plug. The other lights require rechargeable batteries.

MX421

Enlightened
I'll second the Armytek Barracuda. It is a very tight beam. The newer model can also be used with a short (1X18650) tube, but at shorter timeframes. The newer model has an LE edition that has a much longer, but even the older models have quite a bit of throw.

I'll also second the Fenix TK75 (standard is what i have, although the modified is probably better). The new one is 4000 lumen OTF. It has a wide beam too, so you light up a pretty big area. Takes a lot of batteries to do it though (4X18650 without the extension tubes, up to 12X18650 :eek: with the max of two tubes).

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll +1 the M3XS-UT.

I carry in my Jean jacket when I figure I'll need it, its not offensively large.
But will make your retina try an squeeze into another dimension if you look into its light while on.