Looks like maglite may be stepping up their game a little bit more

Ponis

Newly Enlightened
So shopping around at my local home depot yesterday I noticed something that surprised me quit a bit, not a new 1000 lumen maglite or anything outrageous but... It looks like they have updated their AAA mini mag to be 100 lm, 2 meter drop resistant, aaaaand water proof to 1 meter. I know this isn't that impressive compared to most lights on the market but if they could start implementing this durability in their larger lights it could be the first step in making mag a competitive brand once again. Stupid me didn't think to take any pics and of course they haven't updated their site yet. But what do you guys think? Could mag be throwing out test products for some new shock resistance and water proofing tech on the low with plans to upgrade other lights in their line?

sgt253

Enlightened
That's cool. Glad to see some improvement. If they keep upping the ante in the lumens department as they have been, they will have my attention. I am nostalgic for the hosts. Best.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who drops or puts their Mag in water! lolz. I love me some mags. That is good news. Glad they are upgrading their Instruments.

Oh, Ponis, welcome to the forum.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A whole lotta mag lites go out the door at big box stores....don't know that they care to compete with Sure Fire, Fenix etc.

But Coast is sure giving them a run for their money...so you'll likely see Mag stay with mainly what sells but beef upsome numbers to keep folks from buying Lux-Pro, Coast and those other decent lights for same money.

Yeah, I dig the new aaa mini mag. Bought 3 this summer.
Edit: the 85 lumen that is.
Haven't seen this new one yet.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
So shopping around at my local home depot yesterday I noticed something that surprised me quit a bit, not a new 1000 lumen maglite or anything outrageous but... It looks like they have updated their AAA mini mag to be 100 lm, 2 meter drop resistant, aaaaand water proof to 1 meter. I know this isn't that impressive compared to most lights on the market but if they could start implementing this durability in their larger lights it could be the first step in making mag a competitive brand once again. Stupid me didn't think to take any pics and of course they haven't updated their site yet. But what do you guys think? Could mag be throwing out test products for some new shock resistance and water proofing tech on the low with plans to upgrade other lights in their line?

Thanks for letting us know. The previous 2aaa mini maglight was already my best all-round light ever, edc and out & around the house; I definitely now have to pick an updated version!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 84 lumen 2AAA Mini Maglite LED and will keep a lookout for the upgraded model. I don't use the 84 lumen light as much as I expected because it is too bright for close up tasks. Adding a second, lower brightness level (i.e., making it a dual level flashlight), would make it more useful.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I've dropped a maglite ml 125 in approx 5 ft of dirty water for over 2 hours and there was no sign of leakage. Still works fine.

Ponis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Str8stroke glad to have finally registered after lurking for so long.
As for making a dual mode, I think the people here would appreciate it but Joe sixpack probably prefers the simplicity of a standard single mode mag. I think a 10 lumen low would be perfect but can't handle dual mode twisties.
And to Maglite Mike, a lot of mags seem to be more than just "weather proof" but that being said I wouldn't risk my life in the dark on a mag not leaking. It is nice to finally see a real depth rating on the package though

maglite mike

Enlightened
Ponis, maglites are definitely not dive rated but I'm confident that in heavy rain or submerging in shallow water will not effect the performance. There are tons of torture tests on YouTube showing even the older gen mags are very water resistant. I've trusted my life with maglites during hurricanes Irene and sandy and they performed flawlessly. Although I don't claim to be a navy seal, I do property management and during sandy I literally swam through street with my maglites.

Ponis

Newly Enlightened
That's amazing and quite the testament to their durability Mike. I had one old incan leak when some water got in the garage but it might have been a fluke and did work after drying it out. The one that leaked was the bare aluminum color, so it seems like tolerances are set for the extra thickness of the ano because the head seems much more wobbly than the colored ones I have. Never had any problems besides that one though so I am a fan of mags for sure.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Str8stroke glad to have finally registered after lurking for so long.
As for making a dual mode, I think the people here would appreciate it but Joe sixpack probably prefers the simplicity of a standard single mode mag. I think a 10 lumen low would be perfect but can't handle dual mode twisties.
And to Maglite Mike, a lot of mags seem to be more than just "weather proof" but that being said I wouldn't risk my life in the dark on a mag not leaking. It is nice to finally see a real depth rating on the package though

Speaking on behalf of J6P's, I can confirm this.

Anyway my HD didn't have them. Or any at all for some reason... maybe they've since moved maglites elsewhere, not with the rest of the flashlight isle anymore. I'll check back later.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have the 84 lumen 2AAA Mini Maglite LED and will keep a lookout for the upgraded model. I don't use the 84 lumen light as much as I expected because it is too bright for close up tasks. Adding a second, lower brightness level (i.e., making it a dual level flashlight), would make it more useful.

Agreed.

Mine cut off on me recently when attempting to candle stick it.
Took it apart about 6" from my face and during reassembly it lit...hoh boy that little dude is bright!