Flashlight info required

markyboy.1967

Newly Enlightened
Im looking at buying my first flashlight and thought i would ask you guys what type, makes etc i should be looking at. It will be getting used for light painting with my night photography. What i think i need is something that has a decent throw and can be used for some flood as well. Some things i shoot are old buildings at night with the stars etc but i can also at other times get quite close to the subject and as such i dont want the beam of light to strong hence the flood.Needs to be reliable wit a nice nuetral colour( no heave blue casts etc).So far i have had a look at offerings from Fenix, Olight, Thrunite and Nitecore but there are so many models out there so hoping you can steer me in the correct direction.I would like to stay under the £75(UK) if possible but could go more if really required but if i can get something within spec for less then all the better. Thanks...

markyboy.1967

Newly Enlightened
Im looking at buying my first flashlight and thought i would ask you guys what type, makes etc i should be looking at. It will be getting used for light painting with my night photography. What i think i need is something that has a decent throw and can be used for some flood as well. Some things i shoot are old buildings at night with the stars etc but i can also at other times get quite close to the subject and as such i dont want the beam of light to strong hence the flood.Needs to be reliable wit a nice nuetral colour( no heave blue casts etc).So far i have had a look at offerings from Fenix, Olight, Thrunite and Nitecore but there are so many models out there so hoping you can steer me in the correct direction.I would like to stay under the £75(UK) if possible but could go more if really required but if i can get something within spec for less then all the better. Thanks...

I have read that the EagleTac D25 LC2 with the Nichia 219 Bulb would suit most of my needs except the odd occassion i need a bit more distance.. Is this worth me buying? and if so Where is best to buy from(UK)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I am going to blow your budget, and I am probably least likely qualified to answer this question. I take horrible photos. But I try hard! lol

Budget blowing light to look at. Eagletac M30LC2C in Triple Nichia 219B. FYI: Don't be confused, The brand is also referred to a Eagtac.

Fenix just made a light for Photography that may be worth looking at the FD40 ED
Question is do they use a Warm White, or Neutral White or Cool White bin led? You may have to call and ask, unless someone here knows.

I mostly came here to say:
I would guess you want a warm led light color? Or would you prefer a Neutral? A neutral led is closer to the color of sun. Since led color is important for your projects, you may want to school yourself on Hi Cri leds. Also know, some manufactures refer to a neutral led as NW for Neutral White. and CW for Cool White. I would think you want to stay away from CW.

There can be several versions of the same led. For example: a Cree XP-L HI LED they can be either WW, NW, or Cool White.
http://www.cree.com/xlamp/hi

Check Variations

One of the warmer and I guess you could say most popular is the Nichia 219B. It is considered really warm.

Also get some quality batteries and a good charger. If you are mobile, get one that can charge your batteries on the go.

There are some killer photographers that are members. They will be much more helpful than me.

markyboy.1967

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I am going to blow your budget, and I am probably least likely qualified to answer this question. I take horrible photos. But I try hard! lol

Budget blowing light to look at. Eagletac M30LC2C in Triple Nichia 219B. FYI: Don't be confused, The brand is also referred to a Eagtac.

Fenix just made a light for Photography that may be worth looking at the FD40 ED
Question is do they use a Warm White, or Neutral White or Cool White bin led? You may have to call and ask, unless someone here knows.

I mostly came here to say:
I would guess you want a warm led light color? Or would you prefer a Neutral? A neutral led is closer to the color of sun. Since led color is important for your projects, you may want to school yourself on Hi Cri leds. Also know, some manufactures refer to a neutral led as NW for Neutral White. and CW for Cool White. I would think you want to stay away from CW.

There can be several versions of the same led. For example: a Cree XP-L HI LED they can be either WW, NW, or Cool White.
http://www.cree.com/xlamp/hi

Check Variations

One of the warmer and I guess you could say most popular is the Nichia 219B. It is considered really warm.

Also get some quality batteries and a good charger. If you are mobile, get one that can charge your batteries on the go.

There are some killer photographers that are members. They will be much more helpful than me.

Many Thanks for the reply. I had been reading about the Nichia and an Eagletac combo earlier so I will have a look at your suggestions. Cheers.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been a number of threads about light painting in the past. You can find many of them by entering "light painting" in the search box at the top right corner of this web page.

markyboy.1967

Newly Enlightened
I mailed Fenix who are saying there is no info on the packaging etc for the FD40 however they are stating it looks a cool white rather than a neutral white...