Will This Work ?

lighthounds

Newly Enlightened
I have an opportunity to buy a head meant for the Surefire M3LT.

My question is: Can I use this head on a Surefire M4 body with 4 123's ?

I do know that the head is designed for 9 volts but I was hoping that it can handle the additional voltage of the M4 with 4 123's.I see that many new led's have a range of voltage they are able to handle.Since i can get this head really cheap and my dad will give me the M4 body I may be able to do this very inexpensively,if it is electrically viable.

Thank you.

lighthounds

Newly Enlightened
I can't seem to find the answer using the search function.Over 124 results for my search but none that discusses using any batteries that would present different voltage to the head.

How about this scenario:Would the M3Lt head work if I had the M4 body bored for 2 18650 batteries?

It would present a lower voltage than 3 123's so,would it work?

Thank you.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess the two 18650s would run it just fine since the lithium primaries do drop in voltage output over time. This is in fact the option I would personally choose simply because of the rechargeable nature of the Li-Ions. I would think though that the head is in fact regulated and would operate with the 12 volts...but I'm sure ~I would not risk destroying the LED without getting some kind of confirmation. You could also buy a pair of 17670s and drop them into it and avoid the cost of having it bored out. I use AW 17670s in my Surefire C2, they fit without a problem. The four that I have all measure out to be 67mm long including the button on top, this is significant to me as a pair of Surefire 123As measure out to about 67.5mm in length including the button.

lighthounds

Newly Enlightened
I would guess the two 18650s would run it just fine since the lithium primaries do drop in voltage output over time. This is in fact the option I would personally choose simply because of the rechargeable nature of the Li-Ions. I would think though that the head is in fact regulated and would operate with the 12 volts...but I'm sure ~I would not risk destroying the LED without getting some kind of confirmation. You could also buy a pair of 17670s and drop them into it and avoid the cost of having it bored out. I use AW 17670s in my Surefire C2, they fit without a problem. The four that I have all measure out to be 67mm long including the button on top, this is significant to me as a pair of Surefire 123As measure out to about 67.5mm in length including the button.

Thanks for your response.I'm really in over my head with this flashlight techno-talk.

My dad has been the person that has given me some information about lights but he's out of the country for a while.

I referenced the 17670 batteries and this adds another layer equipment.My dad has 123's and 18650's so I'll have to determine if it's worth buying another size of batteries.

Man this light stuff is really involved and I have a lot to learn.

Thanks again for your response.

lighthounds

Newly Enlightened

archimedes

Flashaholic
SureFire doesn't recommend or support "modifications" , so they don't generally specify safe voltage ranges for their light engines.

:caution: Note that overvoltage can damage or destroy the converter and/or emitter, and potentially cause unsafe or dangerous conditions.