What is *special* about your state

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I don't agree or comply with all of these, but I "see" most of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
YOU MIGHT LIVE IN MINNESOTA IF .........

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling
through 18 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that
the food will swim by, you might live in Minnesota.

If you're proud that your state makes the national news 96
nights each year because International Falls is the coldest spot
in the nation, you might live in Minnesota.

If you have ever refused to buy something because it's "too
spendy", you might live in Minnesota.

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from November through March,
you might live in Minnesota.

If you instinctively walk like a penguin for five months out of
the year, you might live in Minnesota.

If someone in a store offers you assistance, and they don't
work there, you might live in Minnesota.

If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle
of his forehead, you might live in Minnesota.

If you may not have actually eaten it, but you have heard of
Lutefisk, you might live in Minnesota.

If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you might
live in Minnesota.

If you have either a pet or a child named "Kirby", you might
live in Minnesota.

If your town has an equal number of bars and churches, you
might live in Minnesota.

If you have had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone
who dialed a wrong number, you might live in Minnesota.

If you know how to say Wayzata, Mahtomedi, Edina and Shakopee,
you might live in Minnesota.

If you grew up thinking rice was only for dessert, you might
live in Minnesota.

If you think that ketchup is a little too spicy, you might live
in Minnesota.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
YOU MIGHT BE FROM LOUISIANA IF...

- The crawfish mounds in your front yard have over taken the grass.

- You greet people with "Howzyamomma'an'dem?" and hear back "Dey fine!"

- Every so often, you have waterfront property.

- When giving directions you use words like "uptown," "downtown," "backatown," "riverside," "lakeside," "other side of the bayou" or "other side of the levee."

- When you refer to a geographical location "way up North," you are referring to places like Shreveport, Little Rock or Memphis, "where it gets real cold."

- You've ever had Community Coffee.

- You can pronounce Tchoupitoulas but can't spell it. (also, Thibideaux, Opelousas, Ponchartrain, Ouachita, Atchafalaya)

- You don't worry when you see ships riding higher in the river than the top of your house.

- You judge a po-boy by the number of napkins used. (Amen!)

- The waitress at your local sandwich shop tells you a fried oyster po-boy "dressed" is healthier than a Caesar salad.

- You know the definition of "dressed."

- You can eat Popeye's, Haydel's and Zapp's for lunch and wash it down with Barq's and several Abitas, without losing it all on your stoop.

- The four seasons in your year are: crawfish, shrimp, crab, and King Cake.

- You "wrench" your hands in the sink with an onion bar to get the crawfish smell off.

- You're not afraid when someone wants to "ax you something."

- You don't learn until high school that Mardi Gras is not a national holiday.

- You don't realize until high school what a "county" is.

- You believe that purple, green and gold look good together (and you will even eat things those colors).

- You go to buy a new winter coat (what most people would refer to as a windbreaker) and throw your arms up in the air to make sure it allows enough room to catch Mardi Gras beads.

- Your last name isn't pronounced the way it's spelled.

- You know what a nutria rat is but you still pick it to represent your baseball team.

- You have spent a summer afternoon on the Lake Pontchartrain seawall catching blue crabs.

- You describe a color as "K&B Purple."

- You like your rice and politics dirty.

- You pronounce the largest city in the state as "Nawlins."

- A friend gets in trouble for roaches in his car and you wonder if it was palmettos or those little ones that go after the French Fries that fell under the seat.

- You know those big roaches can fly, but you're able to sleep at night anyway.

- You assume everyone has mosquito swarms in their backyard.

- You realize the rainforest is less humid than Louisiana.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i hate this state.i wanna move so bad .but we have pecans lol there every where it seems but most are gone now do to hungry criiters

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o and tree i bet ya have good food around there like cajun food.jambolia and stuff is so darn good.never had crawfish they look a tad odd to me lol.but i like all other cajun food i have had

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I'm in Central New York. Ask me again in the spring (Middle of May). Sasha wouldn't like to here what I have to say about New York at the moment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
oldgrandpajack

Greta

Flashaholic
You Know You're From Arizona If...

You buy salsa by the gallon.

Your Christmas decorations include a half a yard of sand and l00 paper bags.

You think a red light is merely a suggestion.

All of your out-of-state friends start to visit after October but clear out come the end of April.

You think someone driving wearing oven mitts is clever.

Most of the restaurants in town have the first name "El" or "Los".

You think 60 tons of crushed rock makes a beautiful yard.

You've signed so many petitions to recall governors that you can't remember the name of the incumbent.

You notice your car overheating before you drive it.

Your house is made of stucco and has a red clay tile roof.

You can say "Hohokam" and people don't think you're laughing funny.

You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.

You see more irrigation water on the street than there is in the Salt River.

You know a swamp cooler is not a happy hour drink.

You can say 115 degrees without fainting.

Every other vehicle is a 4x4.

You can be in the snow, then drive for an hour and it will be over 100 degrees.

Vehicles with open windows have the right-of-way in the summer.

People break out coats when temperature drops below 70 degrees.

You discover, in July, it only takes two fingers to drive your car.

The pool can be warmer than you are.

You can make sun tea instantly.

You run your air conditioner in the middle of winter so you can use your fireplace.

Most homes have more firearms than people.

Kids will ask, "What's a mosquito?"

People who have black cars or black upholstery in their car are automatically assumed to be from out-of-state or nuts.

You notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

The AC is on your list of best friends.

Monday Night Football starts at 7:00 instead of 6:00.

You realize that Valley Fever isn't a disco dance.

You can finish a Big Gulp in 10 minutes and go back for seconds.

The water from the cold water tap is the same temperature as the hot one.

You can (correctly) pronounce the words: "Saguaro", "Ocotillo", "Tempe", "Gila Bend", "San Xavier", "Canyon de Chelly", "Mogollon Rim", "Cholla", and "Ajo".

It's noon in July, kids are on summer vacation, and not one person is walking on the streets.

You experience third degree burns if you touch any metal part of your car.

You know better than to get into a car with leather seats if you're wearing shorts.

Announcements for Fourth of July events never end with "in case of rain......"

When someone asks how far you live from a location, it's always in terms of minutes, not miles.

Everyone's smiling and talking about the great weather on rainy days.

You have to explain to out-of-staters why there is no daylight savings time.

jtice

Flashaholic
West Virginia is one of the very few, if not the only places in the US that has not been covered by glaciers.

This moutain range is the oldest, and protects it. (Apalachen) sorry, I cant spell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I knew a site at one time, that had some really interesting facts, cant seem to find it now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
'Cuz we don't need no stinkin' DST... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously... we really don't need MORE hours of sunlight. In the summer, the sun comes up at 5AM and is frying our asses until 9PM. It's actually cooler at 5AM than any other time of day. So our construction people are on the job sites at 5AM... and they are off at 1PM. To work later than that is insanity. We don't need our light hours at the end of the day... we need them at the beginning. Plus... we're not smart enough to keep changing our clocks... we live in the wild, wild west... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know your in Tennessee when you see 55 gallon drums floating in the crick and there are two less tax men in the county this week. When your own state won't vote for you in the presidential elections and there wasn't one hanging chad.When Moonshine is a name, beverage or phenomenon.When you live in a dry county but everybody knows the exit and the name of the closest liquor store and you get a 15% discount there cause ya'll live in a dry county.During hunting season (Jan 1st to Dec 31st)dang near everybody wears camo ceptin maybe to church, lessin your goin huntin right after church. When Rocky Top pretty much says it all.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Take the La list and the Az list and you have East and West TExas! Plus it possible, by popular vote, split the state into two (three?) new states! That's in the treaty that made the Republic of Texas a state in the US0fA.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
No DST here, either. (Hi Sasha.) Didn't realize there were other states that don't do the DST thing.

[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
West Virginia is one of the very few, if not the only places in the US that has not been covered by glaciers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean continental US? Hawaii is a state after all, and I think the nearest glacier is about 3000 miles from here. But we do get snow (above 10,000 feet).

darkgear.com

Enlightened
That's right no DST. Thats why I moved from AZ to HI. OK more reasons than that but still saves alot of time change thinking.

Sasha, That list is great!

[ QUOTE ]
You can (correctly) pronounce the words: "Saguaro", "Ocotillo", "Tempe", "Gila Bend", "San Xavier", "Canyon de Chelly", "Mogollon Rim", "Cholla", and "Ajo".

[/ QUOTE ]

I can pronounce all of those(correctly) and I even been to all those places. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best regards,
Randy

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
darkgear.com said:
I can pronounce all of those(correctly) and I even been to all those places. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I especially love this one... Canyon de Chelly... that is the most telling one. I remember when I first moved here and people would snicker at me when I *tried* to pronouce it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif And I wondered what that "other" place was that everyone kept talking about... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif... Now I know better... and I snicker... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well I'm not in AZ that's for sure! What's special about my state? Well we're still not quite over the fact that we hosted the 2002 Winter Olympics. Know what security was like at school? School! for heaven sakes.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
That we have fewer Saab's per capita than anyone else in the U.S. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mike