Anyway to protect my flashlight from drop damage or minimize it at least.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you get, rubber/silcone ect tape to wrap around the head to cushion the impact, I have mine wrapped in a few layers of black electricians tape, but it`s more of an scratch protection than any real use in an drop.

Thanks

John.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I used a silicone self fusing tape, the brand over here is called Stretch and Seal. There are pics in the Surefire Fury P2X-B 500lu thread, I think at post 1455.

I found an Amazon link to the same product:
http://www.amazon.com/Nashua-Stretch-Seal-Self-Fusing-Silicone/dp/B000TQEX30

I see you are in the UK, my Google skills only go so far, hope it is available there as well.

Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess that beefing up the internal will be a better bet, if u have access to them.
I fill all gaps around my driver with non conductive thermal glue & they help hold everything in place when it hardens.

For my external protection: i use those rubber piece that we put under the legs of our chairs/tables, find a matching size & cut one end of it to fit the bezel through it.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I think drop damage, I don't worry about looks of the light, I worry about functionality.

Depending on the light. You can basically do what is called Pot the Electronics. I usually do this with something like a clear epoxy. I did one with some resin I had left over from a wood working project. You seal all the electronics to the board. Know, this makes modding and repairs down the road difficult. But it also helps keep anything from vibrating off the board. It also keeps moisture or debris from getting on the electronics. Especially good if you are planning on using Alkaline batteries. All those I have potted over the years haven't ever given me a problem.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Little Gorilla glue an a cut section of an old ten speed tire wrapped around head.
Them tires are thin and may just be the ticket for a neat finish.
I'd wrap it so tread ran around light, could do a strip around both ends.
Idk if that helps. ☺

TacticalFleshlight

Newly Enlightened
A piece of inner tube cut to length may do the trick.
A lot of people call them Ranger Bands.

20151022_123156_zpswgoldctm.jpg

20151022_123052_zpshohj0b48.jpg

Personally I like the scratched up Bobo Fett look on my EDC light. Every scratch or ding has a story, usually a story of me being careless.

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
After thinking and reading it over it seems that shock absorption is primary.

Adding hard materials could simply transfer shock to delicate parts when it should be dispersed.

Might want to fill the insides of the light with soft material(s) that can handle the temperatures a bulb or led pill might generate.

Or just get more lights so it doesn't matter as much. And of course never carry only one light. That's the perfect excuse for buying more.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're frequently dropping it during use, perhaps you should consider a lanyard first.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flashlight has an ring with an strap attached, but it does not have the knotch that they normally have to recess the ring, so you cannot use the flashlight in bounce/candle mode as it does not stand level.

John.

If you're frequently dropping it during use, perhaps you should consider a lanyard first.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I asked which lite wondering if a wrap would cause heat build up.

Looks like it came with a lanyard...can't see how that attaches. But was thinking of a possible 'tee' on the end through the lanyard attachment hole.

Do you just get goofy and let go (lol) or is it a roll off thing?

I was thinking of some foam tape like for insulating around ac window units...but again...
How hot does it get now?(pre protection)

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protect your lights with lanyards, rubber O-rings, and sections of bicycle inner tubes, as shown below.

inner-tube-lights.jpg

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there anything you can put on the power buttons to stop them from cracking after a couple of years, like rubbing them with silicone lube now and again?

John.
Are you referring to the silicon/rubber boot?
If yes, they are actually quite cheap to buy & easy to replace.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast