Streamlight Propolymer 7LED Strobing!

charliek

Enlightened
I just noticed last night that one LED in the cluster is starting to strobe....
is there anything I can do about this? Or should I just buy another light?
I put one dummy cell in the case so it's running off 3 instead of 4 AA and the strobing has stopped... it's also not as bright as it was.

fred0109

Newly Enlightened
One of the two lights that I own is doing the same thing right now. Just send in the whole light to Streamlight in PA and they will replace. Odds are they will send out new light.

haertig

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
charliek said:Got the module- they didn't even ask for the old one back!

[/ QUOTE ]A while back my Propolymer burned out one of it's LEDs. I called Streamlight and they said I had to send in the entire light, not just the LED module. It was one of those things that I planned to get around to someday, but I never did. Then mine started strobing on two more of the LEDs just before I saw this thread. Seeing as how others are getting replacements without sending the old light in, I called Streamlight again. My new module is supposedly on it's way (haven't received it yet). It looks like they've changed their policy and are replacing these with no questions asked (or product return required) now-a-days. The person who answered my call in the warrentee department wasn't too sure about what to do about my light. She initially asked me to return the light, but then I heard someone in the background correct her and tell her that, no, they'd just send me a new module flat out. Maybe the policy chage is relatively new and the word's not out to everyone in the warrantee department yet. If you have a strober and they want you to send it in, it might save you shipping charges and a bit of hassle if you politely inquire about any policy change in this area.

paulr

Flashaholic
Good customer service is nice, but I'd rather they just make lights that don't fail in the first place, so the customer service isn't needed. Those LED's are strobing because they're overdriven to h*ll and back. Maybe somebody somewhere makes a reliable multi-LED light that operates its leds within the manufacturer's specifications. I don't know of one though.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Good customer service is nice, but I'd rather they just make lights that don't fail in the first place, so the customer service isn't needed. Those LED's are strobing because they're overdriven to h*ll and back. Maybe somebody somewhere makes a reliable multi-LED light that operates its leds within the manufacturer's specifications. I don't know of one though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea, except....

Sales would be lower and some CPFer will have shorted out the resistor within 20 minutes....

Doug Owen