Fenix PD-32 Can't Take Drops, I Need An Alternative

therock

Newly Enlightened
I have been through 3 PD-32's. They get active service on the job and over 3 years I have dropped one from 6-feet and the other two from lesser heights about waist high, and they all failed.
One of them it was a Panasonic rechargeable battery that failed to connect.

I know, get a handle on the butter fingers and the loose pockets eh?

Is there a model of comparable size and power that may be able to handle it? I am an industrial maint tech who crawls all over machinery big and small and have the light in my hands a lot.

Thanks,

AC

TCY

Enlightened
See if you like the Zebralight SC62W. Shorter, lighter, brighter, and as far as I know ZL lights are pretty sturdy.

Capolini

Banned
See if you like the Zebralight SC62W. Shorter, lighter, brighter, and as far as I know ZL lights are pretty sturdy.

A good torch all around.

I have the CW version[SC62] and have dropped it a few times,once from about 5' onto the pavement!....the UI sputtered for a few seconds then went back to normal. That was about 3 months ago.:thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
Hey there, your job seems similar to mine and i use a variety of tools. From the little Fenix cl20 that will stick(magnet) to convenient places or simply sit and flood out a nice amount of light.

I have a few solarforce hosts, my favorite is the p1d , however the p1 might be a more suitable host. Pick your flavour drop in, be it tint and mode/s and good to go.

Top is the p1d and HAIII(apparently) , its a tough very solid light anyway, lots of weight and gives confidence in hand.
Lower is the p1 which has a coating, this gives it a little "bounce" so to speak and imo would make an ideal choice for a host.

Left is the p1 and has an xpl 3 mode( iirc),right is a CQvn which is 4x xpg2 5000k ,all flood but great for close up work and lighting the whole area in front without dazzle/reflection.

Although fugly, i now have put the clip on to make it anti roll or better anti roll anyway. Many times i leave it on machinery, saves time holding in place to make sure secure. The big fugly clip does a great job at that:duh2:

PD35 which you have, in between the lights for a size comp

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been through 3 PD-32's. They get active service on the job and over 3 years I have dropped one from 6-feet and the other two from lesser heights about waist high, and they all failed.
One of them it was a Panasonic rechargeable battery that failed to connect...........
What you doing with the failed ones? It would be interesting to take one apart and see what failed.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a light from malkoff. It wont break. And if it does, no problem. Why? here is a old quote :)

"If you experience a failure of a M60 for any reason. (Even if you accidentally tape some C4 to it.) Just contact me and I will replace it. Some of the team training members at Magpul Dynamics have over 100,000 rounds on their M60's with no failure. I stand behind my stuff.

Thanks, Gene Malkoff"

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any experience with the brand, but I noticed that some Armytek models are rated for longer falls (under ANSI FL 1) than typical models from other makers.

For some of your work, you might be able to use a headlamp. It's hard to drop those.

Using a wrist lanyard is another option.

therock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Guys, I'll look'em over and get back when I decide.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I've used the Nitecore P12 2015 edition for a while. It's like the PD35 but personally I think it's better. I've dropped it from head height onto concrete with no issues at all. I know a guy who has used his as a hammer and dropped it a ton and it still works. That's always an option! I've had nothing but good experiences from Nitecore so far.
There's also surefire if you have the budget for it.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think that for the case of the P1D, the critical aspect for that is actually the hardiness of the dropin.
If the dropin is well made by a reputable modder, it should be able to sustain most kind of abuse.
Having said so, i do have a CQvn by Vinh.
It has performed very well in both Surefire & OverReady hosts.
I also own a P1D & it is definitely beefier than other Solarforce host: one of my EDC in rotation.

therock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,

Am I seeing some of these other lights not being able to come on in the last brightness setting it was on before powering off?
The P12 2015 is uncannily similar to the PD32 for sure. And impact resistant to 1.5 meters? I guess a 4.5 foot drop?

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

The area surrounding the bezel of the SC62W is extremely thin and will easily dent from even a small drop.I cannot understand why they decided to make it so thin?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks,

Am I seeing some of these other lights not being able to come on in the last brightness setting it was on before powering off?
The P12 2015 is uncannily similar to the PD32 for sure. And impact resistant to 1.5 meters? I guess a 4.5 foot drop?
I think it's hit or miss with any light unless the electronics are potted and the light designed and built for ruggedness. But then you're going to end up paying a higher price also.

I've pulled the reflector out of a PD32 and reflowed a different LED. One time I must have not got it reflowed good enough because it started to cut out (bad connection)........and so just had to reflow again. Or the driver board may have had something break lose on yours. I can't think of anything else that would cause it to not work from a drop.

Last edited:

dpadams6

Newly Enlightened
The only ones that claim that they can take a beating and from falls are the armytek and elzetta. Both built like tanks.

ven

Flashaholic
I have the older v2.5 armytek pro in viking flavour(just for a tad more spill over the predator). Its built very well, probably the most well built light from Canachina :laughing: . The ano coating is fantastic, the feel/build is great and potted too. With the v3 out , prices are less now for the 2.5 and defo suitable for work uses..........i would go for warm though( thats form someone who prefers neutral to the cooler side of ) . Imo my cool white viking is too cool.........

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
I have the older v2.5 armytek pro in viking flavour(just for a tad more spill over the predator). Its built very well, probably the most well built light from Canachina :laughing: . The ano coating is fantastic, the feel/build is great and potted too. With the v3 out , prices are less now for the 2.5 and defo suitable for work uses..........i would go for warm though( thats form someone who prefers neutral to the cooler side of ) . Imo my cool white viking is too cool.........

Best lights ever made. Better than the v3.

therock

Newly Enlightened
So far I'm leaning towards the Armytek Partner C2 Pro v2 XM-L2. It looks like it will seamlessly replace the PD-32 in size and operation.

FYI - I need the small and straight profile size and am already use to a rear switch & side mode button.
I am a equipment maintenance tech at a large production facility that can be doing anything from laying under a machine, to flash lighting large areas above ceiling tiles, or up on the roof at night.
A head set will not apply for me. I have tried them and they do not fit my applications.
In my right front uniform pants pocket I normally carry a clipped eyeglasses case containing markers, a pen, a scribe etc, and and the flashlight clipped beside it.

The Armytek Partner C2 Pro v2 XM-L (cool) is showing out of stock, the warm is available on Amazon but I want the cool. So checked the "notify me" and I wait.

I loved the PD-32 but the waist high drop failures have me moving on. It was not the fist drop. I have to get into some tight places and sometimes snags & fumbles or when pulling other stuff from the pocket, you name the scenario I have done it.
Now I just worry about it too much. The Fenix support and warranty period is not as good either.
I do ride them hard though.

You guys are great help.

pd32_wear.jpg

Thanks

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
..........The Armytek Partner C2 Pro v2 XM-L (cool) is showing out of stock, the warm is available on Amazon but I want the cool. So checked the "notify me" and I wait..........
If you are in the USA, buy from a dealer, otherwise the shipping is out of China. It is in stock right now plus you can get a discount.