Malkoff MD2 vs Surefire GX2 Pro Dual

wopr67

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I'm pretty just starting out in my flashlight learning journey, and was looking for some advice. I've narrowed my choice for a nightstand flashlight down to a Surefire G2X Pro Dual and a Malkoff MD2 with hi/low switch. Besides an aluminium body, what does the Malkoff give me over the Surefire? Which one would be a better choice, and why? Thanks for the help!

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Whoa, talk about difficult decisions! The Malkoff can run a high capacity 18650, so you'll have longer runtime. Other than that, they're both solid lights. Great warranty and service for both. I can't recommend one over the other, so get both :devil:

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff would give you a choice of dropins of various outputs and tints. Also, as said above the use of 18650 batteries which is a big plus.
The biggest plus is buying from a small manufacturer who cares about his product enough to discuss it on these forums.
P

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Different UI.
Malkoff is twist head for high/low, Surefire change mode via clicking the switch.

GearHunter

Enlightened
Only given these two to choose from DONT BUY the G2X... my wife/daughter until last night used one as their take the dog out back light. Last night it was dropped from 3 feet onto the concrete patio and is now a paper weight. I'm sure this isn't inductive of all surefire lights but I'll not be replacing this one w/same.
While I don't have any personal experience w/ Malkoff they have a stellar rep around these parts.

....now if you want to include a third choice......

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different UI.
Malkoff is twist head for high/low, Surefire change mode via clicking the switch.
Another good reason to get the Malkoff, mechanical switching of mode, less to go wrong. Put a mechanical on/off swotch in the tail (Oveready / SF) and even less to go wrong.
I've had a McClicky switch (which Malkoff use) go funny on me, however it's very easy to fit a new one yourself, and of course Gene would replace it under warranty.
Malkoff electronics are fully potted for durability (believe me I've taken one apart). If the G2X is anything like the P2X that I've modded, there is no potting and the connections between the led board and the driver are dubious at best.
P

Last edited:

wopr67

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm leaning towards the Malkoff, but I can't find on their website where it says the turnkey md2 w/hi-low switch (the one for $119) can take an 18650. Can someone that it can? Also, I think I read that it can also run on AA's with some kind of insert. Can anyone tell me more about that?

Thanks

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, the MD2 tube is large enough to hold most 18650 batteries ...

http://flashlightguide.com/2013/11/review-malkoff-md2-flashlight/

The Malkoff is designed to be modular, and indefinitely upgradeable (with dropins).

If you want to run 2xAA, you will need a ~ 100 mm tube (MD3), a ~2mm battery sleeve, and a voltage-compatible dropin.

Of OP's two listed options, the Malkoff would be (is, actually) my choice :)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have both.

Others mentioned durability, small company and all that....

For night table lamp, either is a good choice as the G2x starts on low. If that's all it'll be used for, yeah, save the dough for batteries.

Mr. Malkoff designed the MD2 as a combat light. So they come with a pair of primaries.
Also why he chose a practically invincible hi/lo device so when the going gets tough, you can opt for battery life.

But...he knew folks just love, love, love those big fat 18650's so the body is oversized. And he sells real nice 18650's...plus he was thinking ahead....
Some of his products feature an MD2 body with mega bright heads that run off the 18650...the hound dog for example comes as a kit with a battery and charger.
Ok, G2 vs MD2 for the average Joe:

MD2 tail stands. G2 does not.
MD2 has a memory for hi or lo. G2 does not.
MD2 has removable head. G2 does not.
On hi MD2 has a better beam.
On low the MD2 is better suited for low light needs.
MD2 has a pocket clip available.
MD2 is upgradeable.
MD2 comes with a hand signed invoice.
Other features as well, but right now I'm drawing a blank...

The only quibble I have with the MD2 is it's round. No anti-roll features stock. But for a few $ you can add a lanyard ring. I use the low profile Elzetta ($4.95)

Now the G2x is a fine light. The low setting will do most of your lighting needs.
But the Malkoff is a better light, with enough difference in size to carry more comfortably in edc situations.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
eh, why waste a good double post?

I added the lanyard thing to both.

Now the nitrolon body doesn't conduct cold like alluminum. So if you want nitrolon, you can get a G2 incan for about $40 and install a Malkoff drop in of your choice.
But no hi/lo feature.

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Malkoff. Most of the same reasons already listed... The user interface is my favorite ever, super tough, upgradeable, and if anything ever goes wrong, you can pick up the phone and Gene will be on the other end.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
IMHO, if it is a light that is going to be stored in a nightstand and rarely used, I would save some money and go for the Surefire. If you are going to be carrying and using the light often, then go for the Malkoff and rechargeable battery.

Jim Fairbairn

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered the M361 dropin as opposed to the standard M61 with high/low ring? The M361 would be my choice if using an 18650. Gene will build you a turnkey with that option if you ask him. At what price I'm not sure.