3 x 18650 pop can (compact) light thrown as possible with compact head

wingnutLP

Enlightened
I am looking for a 3 x 18650 light as compact as possible with good throw.

I find quad 18650 a bit chunky in the hand.

I have an eagletac mx25lc3 hi cri which I love but the diameter of the head means that it doesn't get used as much as it should.

Are there any 3x 18650 lights where the head is the same diameter as the body? Preferably single emitter but if not then at least relatively throwy.

Suggestions would be much appreciated

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
SX25L3 is what I came up with in my search for smallest diameter 3 x 18650 light. The head is the same diameter as the body. Large die emitter, but single emitter, so throw is decent. The SX25L3 occupies a sentinel point in the size/power continuum of my nascent collection. It feels skinny compared to the MM15 and M43.

Throw is better than the TM06, and luminosity is surprisingly close to that of the TM06 as indicated in Selfbuilts' Relative Scale. Creamy white light, no blues.

wingnutLP

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually had not seen the SX25L3 in the Eagletac lineup. It looks pretty nice. I am not sure about those emitters though... Maybe Vinh could modify it for me. The TX25C2 I have has been modified by him and it is one of my favorite lights.

I guess what I have found is that 1X18650 lights are great for mid to short distance for long you need something with a bigger reflector but it has to be small enough that you can pocket it.

The Sx25L3 form factor as a dead straight tube is perfect but it would need to be fully throw optimised I think.

I will keep pondering.

I love the idea of the twin switches on the eagletac lights. I am not a huge fan of having to twist the head to change levels.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually had not seen the SX25L3 in the Eagletac lineup. It looks pretty nice. I am not sure about those emitters though... Maybe Vinh could modify it for me. The TX25C2 I have has been modified by him and it is one of my favorite lights.

I guess what I have found is that 1X18650 lights are great for mid to short distance for long you need something with a bigger reflector but it has to be small enough that you can pocket it.

The Sx25L3 form factor as a dead straight tube is perfect but it would need to be fully throw optimised I think.

I will keep pondering.

I love the idea of the twin switches on the eagletac lights. I am not a huge fan of having to twist the head to change levels.
More throw = smaller die emitter = less lumens. Please see: http://eagletac.com/html/sx25l3/specs.html I happily selected the MT-G2, but there is a factory offering of a smaller emitter with more throw and less lumens. Maybe Vinh can work his magic for you.

This item does have a nice "gadgety" feel to it, which contrasts with the "anti-gadgety" feel of the MMU-X3.

markr6

Flashaholic
The Olight SR52UT comes to mind, but that has a wider head too. But maybe not too much? Especially for what you get...bigtime throw!

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will keep pondering.

How about Vinh's K40Lvn? Not a popcan light but is 3 x 18650 and outthrows all popcan lights. He does have the MX25L3Cvn and MM18vn too.

hazza

Newly Enlightened
Although it's not quite a pop can, the Fenix LD60 might be worth checking out. If you get the LEDs dedomed it's a great little thrower.

wingnutLP

Enlightened
I have an MX25L3C in high cri which I love for its sheer output at medium range.

I definitely want something with a head that is no bigger than the body. Mainly because I want to get it in a jacket pocket. The MX25L3C s head is 60 mm compared to the body at 40 which is enough to mean I can't carry it comfortably in a pocket. The sx25l3 is the closest form factor I have seen.

Latest posts