USB versus Cradle Charging

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to get a decent rechargeable flashlight, but not one that needs the batteries removed in order to charge them. USB ports seem to be popular, but I'm concerned that the port cover will fail in short order (as I read about on another thread). Cradle chargers look like a nice way to charge the flashlight and also keep it stored at a known location. Are there any other pros or cons that I should consider?

kj2

Flashaholic
If the USB port is covered by a rubber piece, if will fail sooner than a actual metal ring. Just posted two reviews, and both lights use a different method. The Olight R20 (Javelot) uses an USB port but has a metal ring cover. The Olight S10R II uses a dock and doesn't need a cover for the charging-connection.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too steer away from External Micro USB port lights. I can't see this working out well down the road for me. Olight, Maglight, Fenix UC50, Fenix R series and Acebeam are all some brands that have charger cradles in one way or another. Oh and Streamlight.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
Cradles are great for convenience -- so easy to use and no fiddling, but only one place to charge. Ports are great for versatility -- you just need a usb cable, and can charge anywhere. A personal choice.

One important thing to consider with any rechargeable option is whether the charger in question is safe to leave connected. Not all charging circuits are created equal, and some might not behave properly if left connect indefinitely. Many rechargeable things say in their instructions to remove the item from the charger after it's fully recharged.

I think that with an integrated charging port, people are more likely to unplug it when the light turns green (or whatever) so that the light is available for use.. whereas with a cradle the light sits in the cradle even after it is fully charged. If the solution involved leaving the light charging, I'd want to be convinced that the charging circuit did the right thing after a full charge (whatever that is. I'm not an EE.) I have a vague idea that more attention is being paid to this now, and more charging circuits are handling it correctly, but it's a good idea to read some reviews.

Regarding reliability of integrated ports, I would worry if it was a mini-usb port, but not micro-usb. The change from mini- to micro-usb supposedly moved the common failure point from the female port (ie: the device, hard to replace) to the male end (the cable, easy to replace). So if you're experiencing failures charging a micro-usb device, try a different cable. I can't find the reference that I'm looking for, but this is close http://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/usb-connectors

I don't think I'm a fan of the proprietary batteries for charging either (Olight S30RII or R20 Javelot for example). My dog door collar does the same thing; CR2430s are wrapped so that both poles are on one end of the cell making a battery replacement either a locked in purchase from one vendor or a crafting project to fix up a new cell. But.. I like the door :) So I guess for the right light I'd probably do it anyway.

Those Olight SxxR lights have been calling me for a while now.

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for he replies guys. I see I'm not the only one concerned about the longevity of the USB port. And I noticed the "special" batteries on some of the lights. That is not appealing either.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted on another thread that my 7 year old Nitecore TM11 which is still in service matches the specifications of a new Fenix TK75UE with a Cree XHP50 LED that cost almost half the price of the TM11 when new.

If flashlight technology is to continue at its current pace, the concept of what a 'Lasting Flashlight' will be might be changing.

smashup

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore is great, and flashlight with USB charger seems to be more updated, but, last night, my house happened to be power off, my flashlight didn't have any power either, at that time, I just want to have my old flashlight only need to be charged with batteries.