The Nichia Preon P2... 47's, please read.

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of the last Nichia Preon's from illumination supply many months ago. By the time I got it and realized what an awesome light this is (my favorite EDC by far, beating out even my Malkoff EDC Nichia) I went to order another to have as a backup in case this one disappeared. Alas, they were all gone.

This light has it all... bright light, decent runtime, small form factor, sharp looks, and using readily-available batteries. I love it. I use it on every night flight I take (I'm a UH-60 Blackhawk Flight Instructor). It really fits the bill.

If I had to offer up some improvements for version 2.0 it would be very simple: gaskets and a rubber-booted forward-clicky switch, and maybe HAIII (although as of yet I haven't needed it). Literally, that's it. I actually really like forward-clickies and waterproofing this beauty should be a cinch, honestly. Also, maybe tighten up the battery tube a bit? It does kind of rattle. But for the price... I have nothing ill to say about the light. I would be way comfortable paying 150% of their retail price if those two things were added. But again, as it is (and at its price-point) I cannot think of a better EDC-slash-penlight on the market.

Many others on the forums, and I have to think at large, feel the same way. So here's my question for you, foursevens: When are you doing another batch, with or without any improvements? I'll take another one in black and one or two in Ti, thank you very much. Oh, maybe one or two in stainless steel if it's offered, as well. And no, I'm not playing. If you take pre-orders, I'll put the money on them tomorrow. I'll even front the money if a "minimum order" is required. The secondary market is always looking for NIB hotness, and if I end up with 5 of each? I'm sure I'll make the money back. ;) That's how good these lights are.

Last edited:

Swordforthelord

Newly Enlightened
It's a great light but I will never buy another until they improve the pocket clip. I've lost two of them because that clip is so terrible. Prometheus Lights makes a Ti replacement because of that but it's $20 to fix a glaring issue that shouldn't exist.

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
It's a great light but I will never buy another until they improve the pocket clip. I've lost two of them because that clip is so terrible. Prometheus Lights makes a Ti replacement because of that but it's $20 to fix a glaring issue that shouldn't exist.

Hmmm... I've not had any issues with the pocket clip, and like I said I use it pretty rough. Inspections, run-ups, flightline MX, plus everday carry. I have thought about getting the prometheus flame anno'd clip just to add some bling factor, though. But... You hear that, FourSevens? A new pocket clip design, hmmm?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool Job you have there. UH-60 Blackhawk Flight Instructor. I have always wanted to fly in a helicopter. Much less be at the helm! I bet you have some super awesome stories.

Back to lights: Some of my favorite lights in the world have the worst clips in the world. First one to come to mind is the Maratac CU AAA.

My other favorite finally fixed the pocket clips in the last version. The Prometheus Beta CU with Ti Blue Ano clip. Its my favorite EDC stealth light.

If you like Illumi, you should consider getting a EagleTac Ti from them. Heck of a value when they have them on sale.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Cool thread!
I own one of these in Titanium. It's a sweet light, and one I won't ever sell. Totally agree the pocket clip is garbage.
I end up replacing every preon clip with the Prometheus clip from Dark Sucks.
pricey indeed but worth it to me. It really transforms the utility of the light.

Wouldn't mind trying out a new Preon with design improvements. I think it could be a big hit

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
Cool Job you have there. UH-60 Blackhawk Flight Instructor. I have always wanted to fly in a helicopter. Much less be at the helm! I bet you have some super awesome stories.

Back to lights: Some of my favorite lights in the world have the worst clips in the world. First one to come to mind is the Maratac CU AAA.

My other favorite finally fixed the pocket clips in the last version. The Prometheus Beta CU with Ti Blue Ano clip. Its my favorite EDC stealth light.

If you like Illumi, you should consider getting a EagleTac Ti from them. Heck of a value when they have them on sale.

Thanks, although I don't fly them. I'm a Nonrated Crewmember FI. (I teach the crewcheifs and doorgunners how to be crewcheifs and doorgunners)

I've thought about getting a prometheus beta many times, but never pulled the trigger. My SF clones with drop-ins have done the job just fine, and then I got the P2 and haven't looked back.

Cool thread!
I own one of these in Titanium. It's a sweet light, and one I won't ever sell. Totally agree the pocket clip is garbage.
I end up replacing every preon clip with the Prometheus clip from Dark Sucks.
pricey indeed but worth it to me. It really transforms the utility of the light.

Wouldn't mind trying out a new Preon with design improvements. I think it could be a big hit

I envy you. I would pay twice what they sold for for a NIB titanium one if I found any. Want to post up some pictures?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I bought one of the last Nichia Preon's from illumination supply many months ago. By the time I got it and realized what an awesome light this is (my favorite EDC by far, beating out even my Malkoff EDC Nichia) I went to order another to have as a backup in case this one disappeared. Alas, they were all gone.

This light has it all... bright light, decent runtime, small form factor, sharp looks, and using readily-available batteries. I love it. I use it on every night flight I take (I'm a UH-60 Blackhawk Flight Instructor). It really fits the bill.

If I had to offer up some improvements for version 2.0 it would be very simple: gaskets and a rubber-booted forward-clicky switch, and maybe HAIII (although as of yet I haven't needed it). Literally, that's it. I actually really like forward-clickies and waterproofing this beauty should be a cinch, honestly. Also, maybe tighten up the battery tube a bit? It does kind of rattle. But for the price... I have nothing ill to say about the light. I would be way comfortable paying 150% of their retail price if those two things were added. But again, as it is (and at its price-point) I cannot think of a better EDC-slash-penlight on the market.

Many others on the forums, and I have to think at large, feel the same way. So here's my question for you, foursevens: When are you doing another batch, with or without any improvements? I'll take another one in black and one or two in Ti, thank you very much. Oh, maybe one or two in stainless steel if it's offered, as well. And no, I'm not playing. If you take pre-orders, I'll put the money on them tomorrow. I'll even front the money if a "minimum order" is required. The secondary market is always looking for NIB hotness, and if I end up with 5 of each? I'm sure I'll make the money back. ;) That's how good these lights are.

If you like something, you have to buy more than one...how many transponders are on the UH60. I know it costs extra money but on the ones you really use, spares are mandatory. Man, I have been on many versions of the 60, on photo missions, love the sound when you hear them coming.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Many others on the forums, and I have to think at large, feel the same way. So here's my question for you, foursevens: When are you doing another batch, with or without any improvements?...

Don't want to put words in 47's mouth, but they have repeatedly indicated that NWs don't sell well outside of the flashaholic market, and that's a tiny market. Marshall of Goinggear has concurred and I have to believe, if anyone, he's got a good finger on the pulse of the market. David has mentioned doing a "very small N219 run" for a dealer, which I believe to be the Illumn P2 batch, and I noticed them in stock for a longgggg time (you must've bought very late in the game). They have also done a batch of N219 Ti A0s, CPF Anniversary edition, for the dealer Black Moon (which I EDC now) and it went on a fire sale too (still available on 47s site right now).

47s is into collaboration with others that want to tweak lights, but are willing to put skin ($$) in the game. Could be a big money making opportunity if you think the market is there.... do you feel lucky?

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
Don't want to put words in 47's mouth, but they have repeatedly indicated that NWs don't sell well outside of the flashaholic market, and that's a tiny market. Marshall of Goinggear has concurred and I have to believe, if anyone, he's got a good finger on the pulse of the market. David has mentioned doing a "very small N219 run" for a dealer, which I believe to be the Illumn P2 batch, and I noticed them in stock for a longgggg time (you must've bought very late in the game). They have also done a batch of N219 Ti A0s, CPF Anniversary edition, for the dealer Black Moon (which I EDC now) and it went on a fire sale too (still available on 47s site right now).

47s is into collaboration with others that want to tweak lights, but are willing to put skin ($$) in the game. Could be a big money making opportunity if you think the market is there.... do you feel lucky?

I guess I was late to the game... I'm new to the true flashaholic sickness, although I sincerely haven't had to look around much since this little gem found its way to me. I considered an AO, but honestly I just don't need the moonlight keychain thing. It looked nice, but it didn't fill a void for me I needed filled.

However, the whole reason for this thread is because I think the market is there. I have a decent amount of disposable income, and if 47's needs someone to put up... well, as I said in my original post I am willing to put a sizable amount down. What I, as an individual and not a business, consider sizable at least. ;) But if it's going to be a "JHP762" run (lol at the thought of that... but it still does make me feel kinda tingly in my special place) I'd like to see a tweak here and a tweak there, as outlined above.

So, FourSevens, shall we talk? And what kind of monetary outlay would we be discussing? I am all ears, and I am willing to play ball.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the P2 and P1 are the best AAA production lights available. However, they do have a few major issues that have already been stated in this thread. The clip and the tail cap/button have to be replaced before using this light. The anodizing really needs to be bumped up to HAIII.

I'd love to see these things addressed in a gen 3. I'd also love to see XP-L and XP-L HI, and maybe a TIR optic.

I'd also love to see a limited run of copper and brass P2 & P1's. One thing I think would be neat for limited colors or materials would be to include a kit with both P1 & P2 bodies and tail caps.

Prepped

Enlightened
I've been looking for a Preon with a Nichia emitter for a while now. If they did another run I'd jump at the bit.